News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

Jacobin ran a piece detailing the organizing work that went into scuttling their Olympic bid. There's lots of details about Boston's particular history, which could probably be analogized to our own conflicts over things like the Spadina Expressway, but the general points the authors bring up are a good statement of why progressive and left-wing people should be hellishly reluctant to hand billions of dollars over to an organization literally shaped by fascists (again, tellingly, fascism is ALL ABOUT communitarian 'greatness' triumphing over the peasanty concerns of everyday citizens)

On July 27 — just days after the last remnants of winter had finally melted — three things happened in quick succession: Boston Mayor Marty Walsh refused to sign the host city contract that would put taxpayers on the line for Olympic debts, and told reporters that the opposition to the Olympic bid, which got more media attention than anything else during his mayorship, was “about ten people on Twitter.” Then the US Olympic Committee (USCOC) pulled Boston from the running.

Walsh explained that the costs outweighed the perceived benefits, and that “our citizens were rightly hesitant to be supportive.” By hesitant, he must have meant months of work by groups ranging from the patrician to the fringe and large numbers of residents who protested, attended public meetings, debated, organized events, wrote letters, made phone calls, and quite literally woke the mayor up to the dangers of the Olympics.

The day that Boston was chosen by the USOC as its bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, the fiancée of a Boston city councilor tweeted her excitement about the announcement, and her scorn that “all you no-fun Negative Nancies will be whining louder than ever.”

Those “negative nancies” would end up as members of the groups No Boston 2024 and No Boston Olympics, as well as much of the local media, politicians around the state, and economists around the world who spent the months between that January announcement and its July finale relentlessly challenging the USOC’s promises, dissecting bid documents, and investigating into involvement on the part of the city’s elected officials.

As rumors of a bid became a reality last November, a group of area residents connected through Twitter and formed No Boston 2024. They began to meet, focusing their attention on the lack of transparency and disregard for public opinion throughout the bid process. By the time the January meeting at Suffolk University rolled around — a meeting held after Walsh flew to Los Angeles to present a bid that hadn’t yet been released to his constituents — No Boston 2024 was already in the thick of it.

When the Suffolk meeting attendees walked in, they were handed signs provided by No Boston 2024. Consequently photographs from the event feature black-and-white placards asking for better transit, housing, and education instead of an Olympics that residents didn’t ask for, and, according to polls taken over the course of the winter months, increasingly didn’t want.

The bid was dreamed up by a team led by John Fish, the multi-millionaire CEO of Suffolk Construction Company, as the private entity Boston 2024. This group of executives created a bid that depicted a redeveloped city, outlining an Olympics with venues everywhere from public parks to private universities.

No public opinion was considered and the city’s residents weren’t consulted, yet Walsh lent implicit and explicit support to the bid. Only a year after Boston had elected him mayor based on his promises of a better city, he seemed to be giving the keys to the city away. Boston 2024 existed as a private entity, but the mayor’s chief of staff was engaged to its vice president of international strategy, and in February Walsh’s former chief of operations, Joseph Rull, left city government to become Boston 2024’s chief administrative officer.

In one of the documents that Fish’s staff prepared for the bid, a booklet of brightly colored stock athletic photos detailing the overall concept for the Games, the word “legacy” is used nineteen times. The Olympics were to leave, respectively, “a legacy for the athletes,” “a legacy for the Olympic movement,” and “a legacy for the community.”

A public meeting in early March provided a look at what that legacy might actually entail. Arranged by the Franklin Park Coalition and the Emerald Necklace Conservancy, the meeting was called to address Boston 2024’s proposed use of Franklin Park. At 527 acres, Franklin Park is the largest park in Boston, and houses a public golf course, a zoo, and a football stadium used primarily by Boston Public School students — yet no local groups were consulted before the park was proposed as a site for equestrian events and a pentathlon.

Boston 2024 executives extolled the positive legacy that Olympic construction in the park would leave, including a pool, the maintenance of which would be funded from leftover Olympic money. When reporters from the Jamaica Plain Gazette asked what would happen if there weren’t any leftover funds, an executive said he would answer the question in private after the meeting.

“The real legacy that Olympics have left behind in cities has been crippling public debt, crumbling venues that blight the landscape, displacement of low-income and marginalized communities, and more intrusive surveillance technologies,” No Boston 2024 explained in an interview. As for fears of a municipal shadow government, the group added that “the legacy of the Olympics will also be an erosion of democracy, as public decisions are being outsourced to a private entity run by corporate lobbyists and CEOs.”

That democracy-eroding influence would reach all the way to the state’s elected officials: in the full bid book, which was only exposed to the public eye after a Freedom of Information Act request filed by Boston magazine, Boston 2024 wrote that it was anticipating “proposal of Olympic legislation that would facilitate permitting and entitlement” — an assumption that the cities named in the bid would be quick to support it, despite the huge amount of money and work that the bid called for and the opacity of the committee’s plans.

The bid book also revealed that, despite months of Boston 2024 insisting that the Games would be privately financed, taxpayer money had indeed been factored into the equation in a number of ways, prompting outcry from everyone from talk radio hosts to Elizabeth Warren, and proving what anti-Olympics organizers around the work have known for decades: in the end, the financial burden falls on the host city’s residents, often people who don’t benefit or didn’t want the Olympics in the first place.

And, as Montreal, Beijing, Rio de Janeiro, and every other host in the last half-century of Olympics has shown, the development that comes with the Olympics lends itself to corruption, worker abuse, displacement, and diversion of public funds: in short, urban renewal on steroids
But the neoliberal rhetoric that the USOC relies on — that our cities should develop in the name of profit instead of serving residents — will not be forgotten. To challenge that, we must continue to organize and put the people before highways, before the Olympics, and before whatever they come up with next.

If I understand your argument correctly, it's that hosting the Olympics would prompt the federal and provincial governments to spend more money on Toronto infrastructure, and that Council would allocate that money to useful projects with a positive net benefit, supported by hard data and professional planning. The latter is obviously an illusion. I'm willing to consider the former, but given the overwhelming antipathy towards Toronto in the rest of the country, we'd better get written funding commitments in place before going ahead with a bid.

So proponents of a Toronto 2024 bid want us to commit to spending $20 to $25 billion without a federal backstop? And among the legacy infrastructure will be a 70,000 seat stadium which will be basically useless after the games? Are we living on planet batshit or is the real motive here that Paul Godfrey and his pals see this as a way to lure an NFL team with the otherwise-useless stadium after the party is over? Fair enough, we can't be World Class without an NFL team, I guess. I mean, cui bono, because it sure isn't Ma and Pa taxpayer.

Pman, one of the reasons why cities compete to host is that funding *must* be underwritten by all levels of government. A bid would never be accepted without this.

From a municipal perspective this is a pretty good return. Again, from the report on the Vancouver games, they did very will in levering injection funding from upper levels of government:

VanWynsberghe found that for every $12 spent by the province and Ottawa on the Sea to Sky Highway, the Canada Line, and the Convention Centre, residents of Whistler and Vancouver only put $1 towaard this infrastructure.
http://www.financialpost.com/m/rela...impact+report+finds+better/9071787/story.html

In a context of funding/political gridlock in Toronto, as our infrastructure continues to age and grow inadequate, this earmarked and timelined upper-level government funding is nothing to sneeze at.

As for your suspicions about what will be funded, wouldn't you accept a stadium (that if designed well could be repurposed) to achieve better transit in real time and funded? revitalization of the portlands? more affordable housing? an improved public realm? international exposure for the city?

That's why supporters always dodge the fact that Toronto, despite a putative absence of 'grand vision,' is already a 'world city.' Apparently we are an "Alpha city" in the same tier as Madrid, Chicago, Moscow and such. The only cities higher than us tend to be significantly larger (NYC, LON, LA, BEIJ, SHANGH, TOK ect...). Toronto has to be an undeveloped tank-town for this whole 'we need to be great!' mantra to work, though, so those things are ignored.

I think it's clear that Animatronic is the only sane person left on the anti-games side.

Jacobin ran a piece detailing the organizing work that went into scuttling their Olympic bid. There's lots of details about Boston's particular history, which could probably be analogized to our own conflicts over things like the Spadina Expressway, but the general points the authors bring up are a good statement of why progressive and left-wing people should be hellishly reluctant to hand billions of dollars over to an organization literally shaped by fascists (again, tellingly, fascism is ALL ABOUT communitarian 'greatness' triumphing over the peasanty concerns of everyday citizens)
While it's true that Olympics as a political tool really got rolling under Hitler in 1936, it would be more accurate to say that they are a favoured tool of totalitarian regimes regardless of persuasion.

While it's true that Olympics as a political tool really got rolling under Hitler in 1936, it would be more accurate to say that they are a favoured tool of totalitarian regimes regardless of persuasion.

My comment was targeted towards IOC President and well known fascist Juan Samaranch. This isn't ancient, WW2 era, history; a bona fide fascist, in the literal, non-pejorative sense of that word, was in charge of the IOC until 2001 for the love of god. His tenure as IOC president also coincides with the games' transition to outright mega-event status.

Even today, a big part of the IOC rose up under Samaranch. Literally half of the IOC's members were selected by Samaranch.

I think it's clear that Animatronic is the only sane person left on the anti-games side.

Again, much easier for you to hurl snark than address the fact that what you said was simply wrong. I mean, I'm STILL waiting for you to point out the supposed lack of 'academic consensus' that mega sporting events rarely see their benefits outweigh costs. I am looking forward to hearing for the 15th time though how things in Barcelona were totally sweet after.

If you really are hanging your hat on Toronto being different than the vast majority of Olympic games, doesn't that imply you have faith in the general quality of our civic leadership? How else would it be different in Toronto if not that we simply have better, visionary leadership? If we already have good, visionary leadership, why do we need the Olympics in the first place?

Last edited:
Yeah well, that's our reality. I can tell you're not interested in the games. It's hard to do a really effective cost - benefit analysis when people have very different ideas of what constitute benefits. To me, not shooting for the games is a lost opportunity. I don't know what to tell you, choose boredom? Build more condos? I just see a lot of the same type of development happening in Toronto. I suppose incrementalism will eventually create the city we want. Maybe your great-grandchildren will get to enjoy it, because we'll all be dead.

Welcome to the thread, Euphoria. I must say that there are more than a couple of things wrong with your line of thinking, but the 'incrementalism' of QQE really needs to be challenged - it's growing by leaps & bounds, and without an Olympics. But thanks anyway.

Yeah, but the fact that Tewder thinks I'm not sane by implication shows he's batting 500.

I'm also feeling slighted or honoured. Not sure which!

BTW, with the Jays headed for the playoffs, shouldn't we be cashing in on the excitement for a new indoor/outdoor baseball only facility on Ontario Place... And use that as an excuse to build the Waterfront West LRT? Couldn't cost more than a billion or so, all told... ;)

A stadium won't be the only benefit, though by 2024 the Roger's Centre will be very dated. It's already rated the 2nd worse venue in Major League Baseball. The stadium could be used for World Cup down the road, CFL, NFL, MLS, and so on. The athletes village will be seed development for major redevelopment of a large brownfield site into an environmentally and technologically advanced mixed use community with affordable housing, the Canary District on a much bigger scale. Personally, I'd like to see the Portlands' streetscapes planned something like Savannah, Georgia, not as a pastiche of older architectural styles, but in terms of scale and quality of design: plenty of elegant public squares that are not too small or too big (no no man's lands). We could still have more of the ubiquitous steel and glass condo towers, but set back from public walkways and squares. I see townhomes and 4-6 story podiums along these, much like what has been planned for the 'Avenues' by the Planning Dept. I'd love to see the Keating Channel repurposed as a swimming or regatta facility like the one in Montreal with bike trails along the edge. We'd get a vastly improved waterfront with parks, bike lanes, and transit access sooner than if we don't have the games, period. As for Godfrey and his cronies, I'm not sure they'll still be around for any of this. I don't know how you'd otherwise draw public finances from senior levels of government to support this amount of new infrastructure. Moreover, some people like sports teams and facilities. They bring people to the city and pump money into communities. Toronto received more press coverage during the two-year back to back World Series wins than it ever had. Like our film studios, music festivals, and TIFF, sports are part of the entertainment industry, an enormous economic engine. Los Angeles understands this. Oh yeah, they may bid for 2024...

A stadium won't be the only benefit, though by 2024 the Roger's Centre will be very dated. It's already rated the 2nd worse venue in Major League Baseball.

Who cares if the Rogers Centre is dated? That's the Blue Jays' problem, not ours. Which, by the way, they're well on the way to solving by installing natural grass and promising a big reno to get the All-Star game for 2018 or 2019.

The stadium could be used for World Cup down the road, CFL, NFL, MLS, and so on.

Again, for the fourteenth billion time, NO. IT. CAN'T. For an Olympics they have to put in a 400M track. That makes the stadium all-but-unusable afterwards for any other sport but track & field because the stands are too far from the action. A billion-dollar Olympic stadium in a country with no history of watching World Cup track & field is so beyond senseless, it's become a thing to build a temporary billion dollar stadium(!!)

The athletes village will be seed development for major redevelopment of a large brownfield site into an environmentally and technologically advanced mixed use community with affordable housing, the Canary District on a much bigger scale.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm sincerely glad that WDL dodged a bullet and, assuming they can continue dodging bullets through this recession and the build out of 4(?) new condos after the PanAm buildings are refitted and sold, it will be a handsome new community we should all be proud to see in Toronto.

But, in the name of all that's holy, why would anyone think that Toronto needs to use a sporting event to 'seed development of a large brownfield site'? We have WaterfrontToronto already doing that for us! We have condos popping up on brownfield sites from City Place to Garrison Commons to QQE to SouthCore! The last thing a government needs to do in Toronto is 'seed development' of condos. Yeesh.

Moreover, some people like sports teams and facilities. They bring people to the city and pump money into communities. Toronto received more press coverage during the two-year back to back World Series wins than it ever had. Like our film studios, music festivals, and TIFF, sports are part of the entertainment industry, an enormous economic engine. Los Angeles understands this. Oh yeah, they may bid for 2024...

You think we need a new Olympic stadium for a private sports team to entertain us? TFC is financing a rebuild of BMO, Ricoh has the Marlies as a draw, the ACC seems to be doing just fine with its current tenants, Rogers has just re-discovered winning baseball sells tickets, and the Argos are finally going to land in a setting that makes sense for their fanbase.

So, to re-cap: 1. You think we need to spend billions on an Olympics to kick start condo building in Toronto. And 2. You think we need to spend billions on an Olympics to subsidize Bell Canada Enterprises and Rogers Communications Inc.

I get people like the excitement of an Olympic games, and they really don't care what the cost will be as they won't really see it personally (except in the cuts in other services from the city that they will whinge about but not connect to the Olympics' costs.) But can we quit with the arguments that Toronto 'needs' an Olympics to kick start x, y, or z? Toronto is growing by leaps and bounds and has really muscled its way into the world scene. It has no need of your Olympics 'boost'.

A stadium won't be the only benefit, though by 2024 the Roger's Centre will be very dated. It's already rated the 2nd worse venue in Major League Baseball. The stadium could be used for World Cup down the road, CFL, NFL, MLS, and so on.

We already paid for their first stadium, and now you want to gift them another one? Tell you what - they can cover the $400m loss taxpayers took on the SkyDome (plus interest) and then they can ask. So we can say no.

A stadium with a 400m track can be modified easily through digging down or other means. It happened in Montreal! Anyway, most of the Olympics is funded through the sale of U.S. television rights to the tune of billions of dollars. Paris expects the IOC to cover almost the entire cost of the games. True, governments will be on the hook for some funding, but that's why controls are built into the deals. Are you telling me that the 17 million dollars Vancouver had to pay in overruns wasn't worth the massive transit, highway, and facility upgrades, as well as the sports tourism? You won't get these benefits any other way for a very, very long time. No, without this kind of larger vision you'll get a continuation of the condo barrier to the lake with the half-baked public art and skimpy parkettes that developers are obliged to provide. Then the land will run out. The next best thing is a gated community. The stadium would be leased for profit just like any other stadium. The landlord is simply the city. I didn't list all of those tenants as essential, nor was it an exhaustive list of possible tenants. I still don't think you appreciate how much of an investment in infrastructure the games bring. Please read about Barcelona, Vancouver, Sydney...

Also, yes, you do need massive investment to remediate and develop the Portlands. It isn't as simple as having developers build a row of tidy plots that will somehow mesh together into a unified whole. Are there any civil engineers who can help explain this? That section of the city is replete with petrol and other contaminants. Private developers will not build your tram lines, light standards, sewage and water systems, nor will they provide the roadways, zoning by-laws, and master plan. Please...c'mon.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm sincerely glad that WDL dodged a bullet and, assuming they can continue dodging bullets through this recession and the build out of 4(?) new condos after the PanAm buildings are refitted and sold, it will be a handsome new community we should all be proud to see in Toronto.

But, in the name of all that's holy, why would anyone think that Toronto needs to use a sporting event to 'seed development of a large brownfield site'? We have WaterfrontToronto already doing that for us! We have condos popping up on brownfield sites from City Place to Garrison Commons to QQE to SouthCore! The last thing a government needs to do in Toronto is 'seed development' of condos. Yeesh.

The '(over) seeding of condos' may just be the problem though. As with the Pan Am Athletes Village/WDL a masterplanned community for the Portlands will ensure a better mix of land use than what we see with endless incremental private developments across the city, remembering that the Pan Am village post-games will include low-income housing and community facilities, not just condos. An Olympics plan for the Portlands would be similar but on an even larger scale... and really, in terms of being a federal/provincial/municipal partnership an Olympics planning committee in Toronto really wouldn't be all that structurally different from Waterfront Toronto, except with firm timelines and guaranteed funding. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Waterfront Toronto involved with any Olympic planning in the area.

I get people like the excitement of an Olympic games, and they really don't care what the cost will be as they won't really see it personally (except in the cuts in other services from the city that they will whinge about but not connect to the Olympics' costs.) But can we quit with the arguments that Toronto 'needs' an Olympics to kick start x, y, or z? Toronto is growing by leaps and bounds and has really muscled its way into the world scene. It has no need of your Olympics 'boost'.

... and London did? Paris? Chicago? LA? Sydney? Vancouver? Most cities would seem to disagree with you.

While I would agree that a real estate boom/bubble has driven a huge amount of private development in this city I would argue that the city has languished in many other areas, including long term-type planning for transit, infrastructure, and the public realm. There have been some great recent improvements but in fact many of these were planned for or fast-tracked due to the Pan Ams, which again would be nothing compared to the scale of an Olympics.

So yes, we do need to kick-start funding for Toronto, to break political gridlock/inertia and transit stalemate for the city. We do need grander visioning and longer term thinking, to make sure that the city continues to flex its muscle on the world scene.

Plus the mere fact that you think I'm sane calls your judgement into question

Fair enough, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt :p

A stadium with a 400m track can be modified easily through digging down or other means. It happened in Montreal! Anyway, most of the Olympics is funded through the sale of U.S. television rights to the tune of billions of dollars. Paris expects the IOC to cover almost the entire cost of the games. True, governments will be on the hook for some funding, but that's why controls are built into the deals. Are you telling me that the 17 million dollars Vancouver had to pay in overruns wasn't worth the massive transit, highway, and facility upgrades, as well as the sports tourism? You won't get these benefits any other way for a very, very long time. No, without this kind of larger vision you'll get a continuation of the condo barrier to the lake with the half-baked public art and skimpy parkettes that developers are obliged to provide. Then the land will run out. The next best thing is a gated community. The stadium would be leased for profit just like any other stadium. The landlord is simply the city. I didn't list all of those tenants as essential, nor was it an exhaustive list of possible tenants. I still don't think you appreciate how much of an investment in infrastructure the games bring. Please read about Barcelona, Vancouver, Sydney...

I think you may not appreciate the amount of waste on things like security and events-related costs that going along with the infrastructure (think $4-6B). Also, a lot of the Games jnfrastructure is irrelevant once the event is over - London is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to convert their stadium, for example. As did Atlanta, and theirs didn't even last 20 years.

You are also placing too much stock in the revenue from sponsors and broadcasters - they make the bid numbers look good but in the end they always fall far short.

And the whole idea of government as stadium landlord has been tried - we already took a bath on the SkyDome. ACC was built without a penny of tax dollars and an nfl stadium should be too. The public return on sports infrastructure investment is pitifully low - there are far better bangs for the buck.

Again, for the fourteenth billion time, NO. IT. CAN'T. For an Olympics they have to put in a 400M track. That makes the stadium all-but-unusable afterwards for any other sport but track & field because the stands are too far from the action. A billion-dollar Olympic stadium in a country with no history of watching World Cup track & field is so beyond senseless, it's become a thing to build a temporary billion dollar stadium(!!)

Look at the Stade de France ... which would be the main Stadium for the 2024 Paris bid. They can fit a athletics track - and hide it under additional seating. It works so well it hosted 1998 World cup final, 2003 IIAF World championships and soon the 2016 Euros. And with skydome under going renovations, it may not be so friendly to events that typically use it right now. The 2008 bid proposed down sizing the stadium and giving it to the Argos.

Back