News   Jul 15, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 400     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

From my awesome experiences this weekend, I sure am glad London wasn't run by a bunch of TOpersons! Fantastic time and Toronto would be fantastic and lively if/when they host the games!

The main thing I would want Toronto to do differently however is 1. Have the Olympic Park open to the public instead of building an electrified Berlin Wall around it and 2. Make the goddamn torch visible outside the stadium!

>>The host city has to do whatever the IOC wants.
Patently not true, and an unbelievably disingenuous statement.
Oh, but it is true:
http://vancouver.mediacoop.ca/olympics/ioc-contract-binds-city-olympic-rules/5809
You can read the London 2012 host city contract here:
http://www.gamesmonitor.org.uk/node/553
The clue is that in clause after clause, things are "subject to IOC approval". The IOC gets what it wants by withholding it approval until the host city delivers.

Really, what's the point on having this discussion if you aren't even going to be reasonable?

Backing up my claims with research, citing sources that others can check for themselves – how is that not reasonable?

>>I have been looking at the evidence. I've posted links and mentioned books where all of this stuff gets discussed in great detail, and there is plenty more where it came from. Do you think all those academics and economists are, what, just kidding when they criticize the Olympics? Have you read any of this material, yourself?
As I've stated before you are cherry picking what you decide to read or believe. This is not balanced in any way, which discredits your point of view. I've acknowledged that there have been failures and that there are issues.
How can you know whether I am cherry-picking without having read all of the material yourself? There is a LOT of it, just in the English language alone. I doubt that you just happen to have read that widely on Olympics issues, just in time to debate them on this thread.

The blogs and books I've posted about all cite numerous sources. I can't blow out this thread listing every resource available. You'll have to do some research on your own. The stuff is easy enough to find.

Clearly, you aren't reading in a balanced way to make a statement like this:
>>But are there are no cities that "did it right",
So all the economists who have published books and articles that say the same thing are also "not reading in a balanced way"? Here's one:
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/07/why-hosting-olympics-bad-cities/2689/

... and finally,
>>What is so special about Toronto that we could host a successful Olympics when so many others have failed?

Whoa, stop with the boosterism there! I mean, this is the most troubling of statements you have made yet! It's so sad you believe so little in the abilities of the people of this country, province and city. It is beyond defeatist.
Really? You're resorting to the "national pride" argument? As if there is nothing else about this city or country to be proud of (sheesh, we've already hosted THREE Olympics in Canada) or nothing else we could do with $10B that we could be proud of? It's the Olympics or nothing? It's a wonder this city has made it this far.
It's sad that you think our pride hangs on whether we ever host a two-week sports jamboree.

So to summarize TOperson ultimately believes that Toronto is incapable of achieving success where others have failed. Thankfully the Canadian forces at Vimy Ridge weren't as enlightened as him!
Actually there is plenty to criticize about WWI and Canada's involvement in it, but that's a discussion for another thread.

He also believes that the Olympics are a complete waste and burden even though cities all across the world, established ones and great ones, vie for them, and repeatedly (London's third time). Obviously he knows something they all don't!

The fact that cities vie for the Olympics is meaningless. For one thing, the bidding process usually starts with a group of business people, usually in the development industry, who then sell the idea to the municipal and other levels of government, and the general public. Often they fail, which is why many cities talk about bidding but don't actually do it. Bidding rarely begins at the grassroots.

London's other Olympics were so long ago, when the games were much smaller with far less money involved (no TV rights to sell), that they aren't even comparable anymore. There were fewer building projects, and none were really massive, so the public expenditure was far less. As far as I know, it wasn't necessary to displace whole neighbourhoods to host games in the old days. If the modern games were like that, more about making do with the facilities already available, I'd wouldn't object to them.

It's not that I think Toronto is so hopeless that we couldn't pull off a decent Olympics. I think the Olympics are so corrupt, and so huge, that NO city is capable of managing them responsibly. The modern games so routinely run way over budget, disrupt so many lives (people who get kicked out of their homes), hurt local businesses (construction projects keeping customers away), and end up with so many white-elephant facilities that they simply do not make sense as a public investment. And I cannot help but think of all the worthwhile things that could be done with the money. The opportunity costs are staggering.

That's a great idea (seriously, no sarcasm)! I would be willing to spend up to $500M in taxpayer money on a 10 day event where all the greatest teams in various league sports from all over the world play in our existing sports venues. So, you'd have everything from Eurocup champions to an MLB/NBA/NHL All Star game to the World Cricket championships (1.4 B South Asians would tune into this - how many will watch the Olympics?) with relaxed drinking laws and 24 hour transit. We can finish it off with the TIFF and some sort of art biennale. Boy, would that put us on the map! And we wouldn't be stuck with a $15B bill and some useless venues like an indoor velotrack or beach volleyball stadium.

Yes, I was thinking later that $5M was too low. But $500M would buy a very fun time for this city.

1. They are mostly Britons. And I don't take kindly to you looking down your nose at people who want to have a good time. Not everybody will be miserable and try to make everyone else miserable. Believe it or not, you are the minority, and not by a small margin either.

Britons flying other countries' flags at the LONDON Olympics?

I'm not looking down my nose at people because they want to have a good time. It's because they've bought the Olympics propaganda. There are a million ways to have a good time that don't involve billions in public spending and Orwellian security arrangements.

2. It is from an Olympic event. Source? I was there.

Not reliable enough.

3. The protest groups are so small they would look pathetic.

I was there and they were not pathetic. "Pathetic" protests don't usually bring out the police.

(I wasn't there. See how it easy it is to claim I was though?)

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about, despite having the demeanor of someone who thinks they know better than everybody else.

Yeah, I know people aren't going to believe me just because I post on this thread. That's why I've been CITING SOURCES all along. Do you think the sources also "don't know what they are talking about"?

So? You asserted that 67Cup's experience is isolated and not reflective of the general populace is false.

Not the same thing. IN 67Cup's case, it's bad research to substitute ONE person's experience for that of a whole population. In Hiller's study, some of the population got Olympic freebies, so they cannot be considered unbiased. And there are a bunch of other issues with that study, but this thread is not the place for a course in research methods. The pdf is here:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~hiller/oamep.htm

Now, unless you have hard evidence, I think you are getting into libel territory.

Notice that the IOC itself has published some of his work.

The notion of "Olympics Studies" has been around since the beginning.

http://olympicstudies.uab.es/pdf/wp106_eng.pdf

And sorry, spending $10B on the generic "health care" has been the default policy response for the last few decades with precious little to show for - and I certainly won't get behind that.

Default policy? Huh? Isn't the province talking about cutting health care spending right now? Isn't that what the doctors are protesting? With Toronto's other failed Olympic bids, did the money get re-directed into health care?

Another option is to not spend the Olympic money at all, and let taxpayers keep it to spend on whatever they like.

You have offered no evidence whatever about the "whole population" of Vancouver, that in any way contradict my statements. Further, I did not pretend to be presenting "research," only reporting my own observations, that there were very large, obviously happy crowds, in many places during the Olympics. And yes, it is possible to gauge the general emotional state of a crowd when you are walking around in it. The observations of an eyewitness do not dispose of an issue but are always relevant to a debate.

Another matter: Mayor Gregor Robertson was easily re-elected as mayor in 2011. What opposition there was came from the generally right wing NPA whereas most pre-Olympic opposition came from the left of the political spectrum. There is no widespread dissatisfaction with the Olympic experience.

You are trying to argue that the Olympics are not a good investment for Toronto. Fair enough, argue away. You may even be right about that. But you do not need to argue that the general population of Vancouver hated the Olympics in order to make that point. If you did need that argument, you would be in trouble, because we didn't.

You have offered no evidence whatever about the "whole population" of Vancouver, that in any way contradict my statements. Further, I did not pretend to be presenting "research," only reporting my own observations, that there were very large, obviously happy crowds, in many places during the Olympics. And yes, it is possible to gauge the general emotional state of a crowd when you are walking around in it. The observations of an eyewitness do not dispose of an issue but are always relevant to a debate.

Another matter: Mayor Gregor Robertson was easily re-elected as mayor in 2011. What opposition there was came from the generally right wing NPA whereas most pre-Olympic opposition came from the left of the political spectrum. There is no widespread dissatisfaction with the Olympic experience.

You are trying to argue that the Olympics are not a good investment for Toronto. Fair enough, argue away. You may even be right about that. But you do not need to argue that the general population of Vancouver hated the Olympics in order to make that point. If you did need that argument, you would be in trouble, because we didn't.

Wait, you're accusing me of providing no evidence that "the general population of Vancouver hated the Olympics" (a claim I never made, by the way) and yet you provide no evidence to support your claim that "There is no widespread dissatisfaction with the Olympic experience"?

You do realize that the crowds you walked around in were a self-selected group of people, not necessarily representative of the general population? Saying they had a good time at the games is like saying "people who go to Madonna concerts really like Madonna". Duh.

There is a lot of info here on public opposition to the 2010 games:

http://vancouver.mediacoop.ca/olympics/

Don't these perspectives count?

Say you booked a holiday years in advance and then with one thing and another you realized it was going to cost WAY more than you expected, you'd have to pay it off for years, and backing out was not possible. Sunk costs. You might as well enjoy the holiday when the time comes, right? I think that sunk-costs thing accounts for some of the public sentiment at the time of the games. But it doesn't mean that booking another expensive holiday is a good idea.

I think this is aimed at TOP, but I'd just like to add the entire city of Calgary had a blast in 88. Winter Olys are much smaller and more compact and i think that makes for a great party (and... Scandinavian blondes!). I'm not even really arguing that the Olys themselves will be a good party (although I reserve the right to continue to ridicule ribbon-twirlers and Bulgarian weightlifters). But, but, but... Latest count $25bn??? C'mon.

It's not that I think Toronto is so hopeless that we couldn't pull off a decent Olympics. I think the Olympics are so corrupt, and so huge, that NO city is capable of managing them responsibly. The modern games so routinely run way over budget, disrupt so many lives (people who get kicked out of their homes), hurt local businesses (construction projects keeping customers away), and end up with so many white-elephant facilities that they simply do not make sense as a public investment. And I cannot help but think of all the worthwhile things that could be done with the money. The opportunity costs are staggering.

I totally agree with you, but I think that while developed world cities/countries with their high labour costs, weary electorates and crippling debts have hit their heads against the glass ceiling of hosting a Summer Olympics (or, to use an sports analogy, can't clear the bar on the high jump), there are quite a few megacities of 10 million + in large, emerging market countries that still want to jump that bar.

Just like how the US seemed to bag an inordinate number of Olympics in the past, I expect the Chinese to win every third Summer Olympics from here on in. There are a lot of Shanghais, Chongqings, Guangzhous, Shenzhens and Nanjings out there. Not only can they build the Herculean infrastructure quickly, cheaply and without resistance, but these megacities and their hinterlands harbour tens of millions of highly nationalistic, enthusiastic fans - mostly members of the middle class that have a fierce national pride having observed how they personally climbed up from communal housing and outhouses to living in condos and driving cars. They will gladly pack stadiums for exorbitant prices and high five the central government for spending so lavishly on a spectacle. If an Olympics came to Toronto, it would be a purely Toronto thing - people in Calgary and Vancouver and Montreal (which don't care for Toronto and already have had their Olympics) wouldn't give a rat's ass and would balk at the idea of sharing the bills. The Summer Olympics is simply too big for a mid-sized Western country, let alone a mid-sized (in the global scheme of things) Western city.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you, but I think that while developed world cities/countries with their high labour costs, weary electorates and crippling debts have hit their heads against the glass ceiling of hosting a Summer Olympics (or, to use an sports analogy, can't clear the bar on the high jump), there are quite a few megacities of 10 million + in large, emerging market countries that still want to jump that bar.

Just like how the US seemed to bag every second or third Olympics in the past, I expect the Chinese to win every third Summer Olympics from here on in. There are a lot of Shanghais, Chongqings, Guangzhous, Shenzhens and Nanjings out there. Not only can they build the Herculean infrastructure quickly, cheaply and without resistance, but these megacities and their hinterlands harbour tens of millions of highly nationalistic, enthusiastic fans - mostly members of the middle class that have a fierce national pride having observed how they personally climbed up from communal housing and outhouses to living in condos and driving cars. They will gladly pack stadiums for exorbitant prices and high five the central government for spending so lavishly on a spectacle. If an Olympics came to Toronto, it would be a purely Toronto thing - people in Calgary and Vancouver and Montreal (which don't care for Toronto and already have had their Olympics) won't give a rat's ass and will balk at the idea of sharing the bills.

Yes, I've thought that too. I'm on a bit of an Olympics-research binge and I've noticed that past host and bid cities are creating online communities to discuss the pros and cons of hosting. Not just for the Olympics but also the Commonwealth Games and other mega-events. There is an element of "the jig is up" - at least as far as Western/developed types of countries are concerned.

But developing countries may be easier to sell on the "international stage", "coming of age" mythology of the games. Like hosting the games is a sign of a city/country's maturity, skill, perceived value, etc. So, yes, I think this is why the Olympics are going to places like Rio, Sochi, Pyeongchang, Beijing and will continue to do so, as you say. Think of all the Indian cities that could host!

This will be presented as a sign of the games being more "inclusive" or whatever, but really it's more a case of "fresh hunting grounds".

Wait, you're accusing me of providing no evidence that "the general population of Vancouver hated the Olympics" (a claim I never made, by the way) and yet you provide no evidence to support your claim that "There is no widespread dissatisfaction with the Olympic experience"?

You do realize that the crowds you walked around in were a self-selected group of people, not necessarily representative of the general population? Saying they had a good time at the games is like saying "people who go to Madonna concerts really like Madonna". Duh.

There is a lot of info here on public opposition to the 2010 games:

http://vancouver.mediacoop.ca/olympics/

Don't these perspectives count?

Say you booked a holiday years in advance and then with one thing and another you realized it was going to cost WAY more than you expected, you'd have to pay it off for years, and backing out was not possible. Sunk costs. You might as well enjoy the holiday when the time comes, right? I think that sunk-costs thing accounts for some of the public sentiment at the time of the games. But it doesn't mean that booking another expensive holiday is a good idea.

I looked through the link you provided. Well, there was 45 minutes of my life wasted. Firstly, the large majority of the stories are from before the Olympics, dating back to 2002. If you check back on my posts, I acknowledge there was opposition before the Olympics but assert that it faded during and since. Your link tends, if anything, to verify that position. Secondly, many of the stories are only peripherally related to Olympic opposition in Vancouver... a heart attack suffered by an Olympic bus driver, for example???? C'mon. Thirdly, a significant number of the websites listed are anarchist or far left websites. Most Canadians would characterize those as fringe. That doesn't mean they are not valid, just that they don't represent a large slice of the population. Fourthly, when you look at the numbers, it's 40 protesters here, 150 there, and one, IIRC, 600. These are more significant than the scores of thousands on the streets of Vancouver, not just ticketholders at venues, but in public places like Robson Square or the waterfront? To turn your phrase around, these voices don't matter? (Of course, they don't matter. They don't agree with you. Foolish question on my part.) Surely you must realize, moreover, that your "self-selected" argument, shaky as it is, cuts both ways, by the way.

Your best argument would actually have been based on an article in that list, by Rod Mickleburgh, which appeared in the Globe and Mail, after the Olympics. It described a poll that showed that a higher percentage of BC residents, 39%, still thought getting the Olympics was a mistake, than in the country as a whole, somewhere around 20%. But, interestingly enough, the number of people who thought it was a "great idea" had soared after the games which is more or less what I stated. What I can also say is that Olympic costs are not a frequent subject of complaint in letters to the editors or coffee shops or parties. When people do talk about the games, it is about the competition or the ancillary events, or the feeling in the city during the games. I would link the study for you but I don't feel like checking back through 30 plus pages on that websitee.

And, of course, you are very selective in your responses. You have ignored the easy re-election of Mayor Robertson in 2011. How likely would that be if there was massive dissatisfaction or if people were groaning under the burden of paying of the tax bill? I remind you, furthermore, that I pay such bills.

It is true that the governing Liberal party will probably be defeated in the next provincial election, but that will largely be about issues other than the Olympics, eg the imposition of the HST, and, by the way, I intend to vote against them too.

You also ignored the challenge to google Vancouver Olympic costs or opposition or some such phrase and to check the dates. I see no acknowledgment of any of that on your part.

The odd thing is that I am not actually arguing against your main point, which may be correct, that hosting the games is a bad financial idea for Toronto. The only thing I am saying is that Vancouver, had, by and large, a rip-roaring good time during the Olympics, the athletic competition was superb, and the Olympics are now generally remembered with fondness. How much a really good time is worth, I leave to others to debate.

This is it for me in this argument. Debating you is pointless and a frustration to the spirit on a lovely summer day..
Take the last word. I leave you to it.

Last edited:
I looked through the link you provided. Well, there was 45 minutes of my life wasted. Firstly, the large majority of the stories are from before the Olympics, dating back to 2002. If you check back on my posts, I acknowledge there was opposition before the Olympics but assert that it faded during and since. Your link tends, if anything, to verify that position. Secondly, many of the stories are only peripherally related to Olympic opposition in Vancouver... a heart attack suffered by an Olympic bus driver, for example???? C'mon. Thirdly, a significant number of the websites listed are anarchist or far left websites. Most Canadians would characterize those as fringe. That doesn't mean they are not valid, just that they don't represent a large slice of the population. Fourthly, when you look at the numbers, it's 40 protesters here, 150 there, and one, IIRC, 600. These are more significant than the scores of thousands on the streets of Vancouver, not just ticketholders at venues, but in public places like Robson Square or the waterfront? To turn your phrase around, these voices don't matter? (Of course, they don't matter. They don't agree with you. Foolish question on my part.) Surely you must realize, moreover, that your "self-selected" argument, shaky as it is, cuts both ways, by the way.

Your best argument would actually have been based on an article in that list, by Rod Mickleburgh, which appeared in the Globe and Mail, after the Olympics. It described a poll that showed that a higher percentage of BC residents, 39%, still thought getting the Olympics was a mistake, than in the country as a whole, somewhere around 20%. But, interestingly enough, the number of people who thought it was a "great idea" had soared after the games which is more or less what I stated. What I can also say is that Olympic costs are not a frequent subject of complaint in letters to the editors or coffee shops or parties. When people do talk about the games, it is about the competition or the ancillary events, or the feeling in the city during the games. I would link the study for you but I don't feel like checking back through 30 plus pages on that websitee.

And, of course, you are very selective in your responses. You have ignored the easy re-election of Mayor Robertson in 2011. How likely would that be if there was massive dissatisfaction or if people were groaning under the burden of paying of the tax bill? I remind you, furthermore, that I pay such bills.

It is true that the governing Liberal party will probably be defeated in the next provincial election, but that will largely be about issues other than the Olympics, eg the imposition of the HST, and, by the way, I intend to vote against them too.

You also ignored the challenge to google Vancouver Olympic costs or opposition or some such phrase and to check the dates. I see no acknowledgment of any of that on your part.

The odd thing is that I am not actually arguing against your main point, which may be correct, that hosting the games is a bad financial idea for Toronto. The only thing I am saying is that Vancouver, had, by and large, a rip-roaring good time during the Olympics, the athletic competition was superb, and the Olympics are now generally remembered with fondness. How much a really good time is worth, I leave to others to debate.

This is it for me in this argument. Debating you is pointless and a frustration to the spirit on a lovely summer day..
Take the last word. I leave you to it.

So your whole argument is that - by your own selective indicators - a lot of people enjoyed the Vancouver games while they were on? That's it? Hello - SUNK COSTS. By the time the games were on there was nothing else to do. They were stuck with it. That doesn't make hosting the right choice.

Plus, of course it's easier to get people out for a party they have already paid for than to come out to a protest and risk arrest, etc. Especially when a vast propaganda machine has worked on them for several years.

And if your only point is that Vancouver enjoyed its Olympics, why did you weigh in on a thread about hosting the Olympics in TORONTO, if not to advance the idea that a Toronto Olympics would be a good idea? I think that was your intent, but now you're backtracking because you can't make a case for Toronto.

All you've got is "we really had a good time with ours". So what? There are a lot more serious issues to consider when contemplating spending $10B of public money.

Last edited:
It's because they've bought the Olympics propaganda.

That RIGHT THERE is looking down your nose at millions of people. "Bought the Olympics propaganda"? Bullshit, you make it sound like they are inferior beings and obviously are only excited because they were manipulated, but you with your superior mind was not.

In fact, I think it is you who bought into propaganda. Anti-Olympic propaganda that a small group of people adopts to make themselves feel superior to everyone else every 2 years. However, I'm glad my mind is evolved enough to not fall for the anti-Olympic manipulation.

2. It is from an Olympic event. Source? I was there.

Not reliable enough.

Whatever you say buddy.

I want the olympics but not at 25 billion dollars. That's crazy. But I guess I need to know the money that the city makes off the olympics as well. For instance does it cost them 25 billion to put on but they make 20 billion so the total loss is only 5 billion. Or after everything do they actually lose 25 billion?

That RIGHT THERE is looking down your nose at millions of people.

However, I'm glad my mind is evolved enough to not fall for the anti-Olympic manipulation.

Hypocrite.

You're not evolved, you're just easy to fool.

Last edited:

Back