News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 766     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 730     1 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

thanks.....wonder what words have to be in that letter for them to consider it a firm commitment to bid and receive the more detailed package of information they reference.
BTW that schedule you copied is now out of date. There is no longer an "applicant phase" - everyone is immediately a "candidate city" and stays through to the end. It would be nice to have more details but the IOC hasn't published the new rules.

I just wanted to say that the website domain toronto-2024.com has been registered. Registered on July 24th. And Toronto's trademarked the bid (Toronto 2024, Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid and TO2024) with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.

I just wanted to say that the website domain toronto-2024.com has been registered. Registered on July 24th. And Toronto's trademarked the bid (Toronto 2024, Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid and TO2024) with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
That website was bought by a Quebec real estate agent. Looks like the most likely websites are 2024toronto.com or .ca or .org.

Because they are boiling the frog. When each step is incremental they can justify skipping the democratic process and build more of the bid. The day after that letter goes in we are an official candidate city with a logo, a website, a team of privately paid consultants, ioc support and an implicit guarantee from multiple levels of government. All without a single vote by council. We will be under tremendous pressure not to abandon the bid. It's much harder to stop something once it has started moving. By the time they come to us for $50m in funding it will be too late.

This is nothing but vapid fear-mongering wrapped up in a conspiracy theory. There is no anti-democratic plot afoot in submitting a letter of intent. It's actually a responsible thing to do. It's the responsibility of our mayor and council to consider opportunities for this city, especially when 60% of the public are in favour of this particular opportunity. A council vote will happen in the process. The letter of intent buys a little more time to put together the basic schema of a potential bid for the more informed consideration of our democratic council. If you think this a corrupt process then you seriously need to widen your horizons.

No, you don't like the Olympics. We get it. No, at all cost. The hypocrisy is mind-numbing though: If council changed its mind on the Scarborough subway line you'd jump for glee. If council changes its mind about an Olympics it's the end of democracy in Toronto.

Toronto’s Olympic chances against L.A.: Q and A - Toronto Star

I don't know what to say? Have we fallen that far down the ladder that L.A. is our serious contender? I would believe if it was Paris or Boston(if they where still in the running). But not L.A.

Why do you consider it down the ladder to compete with L.A.? Last time I check L.A. is still economical more powerful and cultural more influential, and as diverse as Toronto. I don't consider competing with L.A. anything far down the ladder. Boston can't compare with LA, and L.A. probably has more chances than Paris.

I wonder if a Toronto eastern time zone is preferred over an LA pacific time zone, from the point of view of U.S. broadcasters at least?

This is nothing but vapid fear-mongering wrapped up in a conspiracy theory. There is no anti-democratic plot afoot in submitting a letter of intent. It's actually a responsible thing to do. It's the responsibility of our mayor and council to consider opportunities for this city, especially when 60% of the public are in favour of this particular opportunity. A council vote will happen in the process. The letter of intent buys a little more time to put together the basic schema of a potential bid for the more informed consideration of our democratic council. If you think this a corrupt process then you seriously need to widen your horizons.

No, you don't like the Olympics. We get it. No, at all cost. The hypocrisy is mind-numbing though: If council changed its mind on the Scarborough subway line you'd jump for glee. If council changes its mind about an Olympics it's the end of democracy in Toronto.
Why didn't they announce the bid when they trademarked the name of the bid back in July? It's not a conspiracy, it's a scripted reveal.

I don't know what to say? Have we fallen that far down the ladder that L.A. is our serious contender? I would believe if it was Paris or Boston(if they where still in the running). But not L.A.

L.A. is America's second largest city (and north America's third largest city) by CMA population. They have about triple Toronto's population. They've already hosted the Olympics, and they are considered the capital of western media. I'm not sure why you'd be insulted to consider them on the same rung as us.

I can't imagine any excuse for Tory waiting so last minute other than to rush the bid letter in on the final days before Sept. 15. If he were to say no to an Olympics, there have been several opportunities to do so, the most recent being several council members coming out opposed. He would've said "No" and moved on.

I want us to go through this process in at least writing a bid proposal and get us thinking about how we can benefit the city and how it can be paid for. Our 2008 bid got us Waterfront Toronto and $1.5B without even having won the bid. I think that's worth the $50M price tag (which will probably come from private interests anyway).

Why didn't they announce the bid when they trademarked the name of the bid back in July? It's not a conspiracy, it's a scripted reveal.

Why on earth wouldn't the Canadian Olympic Committee hop on a trademark? This really isn't revealing of anything, they are the Canadian Olympic Committee for pete's sake. I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

I know the conspiracy theories are fun but really the truth is usually far more mundane. The public in Toronto wants the games, by a large majority, and Tory's been taking a temperature check where it comes to corporate and government (provincial/federal) support. You call it a conspiracy, I call it due diligence.

Why on earth wouldn't the Canadian Olympic Committee hop on a trademark? This really isn't revealing of anything, they are the Canadian Olympic Committee for pete's sake. I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

I know the conspiracy theories are fun but really the truth is usually far more mundane. The public in Toronto wants the games, by a large majority, and Tory's been taking a temperature check where it comes to corporate and government (provincial/federal) support. You call it a conspiracy, I call it due diligence.
I suspect that you will find the next week to be very revealing.

As an aside, It's refreshing that Tory is conferring with all federal candidates now, canvassing on behalf of the city for such a massive long term committed investment. If any one candidate comes out against it they risk election results in the GTHA. If all candidates announce their support there would be little political repercussion to any one of them. Well played.

I'm told that we'll hear an answer from Tory either during the long weekend if his staff wants to bury it or on Tuesday morning if he has widespread support. Either way, it looks like we're bidding.

How exciting!! It'd be nice to see the spirit and momentum of the PanAm games carried on. Whether the bid wins or fails it will generate much excitement and many new ideas for this city, as the 2008 bid did.

Back