News   Apr 26, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 344     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 544     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

45 million has been offered for the West Harbour site; Bob Young has offered 15 million. Plus the Hamilton Future Fund has refused to add any funding to an East Mountain stadium.

I am not totally sure that I follow what you are saying but what I have read/understood (and feel free to correct me) is that the Harbour site has the support of the city/province/Pan Ams and that the public money available (combining all of those) is enough to build a 15k seat Pan Am games stadium.....the money needed to expand that stadium after the games, though, has to come from a private sector partner (ie. Bob Young/TiCats) and they have not agreed to commit funds (or their team) to the harbour site. So, at this stage, public funds could build the stadium at the harbour but run the risk that there is no tenant or private investment post-games.

Conversely, Mr. Young has said he would invest money in a stadium situated elsewhere (been a few places mentioned in the past but seems to be settling on the mountain) and keep the TiCats in Hamilton by playing at that new stadium. There has been no commitment from the city to invest in a stadium anywhere other than the harbour and it is unclear whether the province/pan ams would invest in a stadium that went against the city's wishes (and did not attract the city's money). So that mountain site could have a tenant and private money but not the needed public money.

Not sure of the exact numbers but if that is the $45 million (public funds) and $15 million (private) money you refer to it really just highlights the dilema........each (private and public) are crucial to this stadium and it needs a solution that finds a site where they are both willing to invest.

According to SSP discussion, Bob Young's 15 million was offered for the East Mountain stadium, not West Harbour. He's facing increasing opposition to his plan, however.

Last edited:
Everyone saw this one coming. I feel bad for the 4th years at my school. They submitted proposals for this development.

Looks like Toronto will trade the Track and Field and Hamilton will take soccer away from BMO Field.

Hamilton loses track, gains soccer games

By Kevin Werner/News Staff
News
Jul 29, 2010
http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/news/article/216246

Hamilton has lost the 2015 Pan Am Games track and field events, and it could also lose its football team from the West Harbour.

Ian Troop, chief operating officer of the Toronto 2015 organizing committee, confirmed today in a telephone conference that track and field events scheduled for Hamilton’s Pan Am Stadium will be relocated to a yet-to-be determined venue in Toronto.

He said the track events “are going to be in Toronto. We’re looking at a couple of options, finalizing some details there but that’s probably where it’s going to end up.”

In return, Troop said Hamilton will host over 30 soccer games at both the new Pan Am stadium, and the David Braley Stadium at McMaster University.

“We are still sorting it out,” said Troop. “(But) there will be a lot of soccer games.”

He said BMO field in Toronto is unable to handle the number of soccer games required, and alternative locations are needed.

BMO was never going to be able to host all the soccer games (no natural surface stadium can host 30 soccer games over a 2 week period). By the time these games roll around, though, BMO will be holding in excess of 25k and I cannot forsee them not having some soccer games (like the big ones which generate revenue....Brazil v Argentina....Canada v either of those) in the stadium most capable of selling enough tickets to make sense of it all.

It's better off this way. It wasn't necessary that athletics be held in Hamilton, and long-term Hamilton doesn't need a track (nor would the Ti-Cats want one in their stadium). It only makes sense.

Perkins: New Hamilton stadium won’t have Pan Am track events
Published On Wed Jul 28 2010Email PrintRepublishAdd to Favourites Report an error
http://www.thestar.com/sports/panamgames/article/841577

By Dave Perkins
Sports Columnist
The good news for fans of Canadian football in and around Hamilton is that the new stadium proposed for the Tiger-Cats will be just that, a football stadium.

Where it will be built, or even whether Hamilton will choke away the project in a clash of political wills, remains to be seen. City council there is scheduled to vote Aug. 12 on either the downtown or East Mountain proposal and enough of that for now.

Whatever site prevails, track and field is not going to be part of the Hamilton experience for the 2015 Pan Am Games. Backers of both sites recognize that a multi-lane track around a CFL field, which the Ticats want no part of because of the attendant lack of intimacy, is a non-starter. (There also is the matter of finding land for the required warmup track.)

Instead, soccer will be the Games tenant for the facility that later will be inherited by the Ticats. The field basically converts with a can of paint. This all means track and field will be moved back to Toronto and York University remains the leading candidate. There or Downsview. Either place a new, small, stadium is required.

The University of Toronto has an outstanding athletics facility costing $16 million built at the old Varsity Stadium on Bloor Street. It is one of only four approved international facilities in Canada, but U of T opposes Pan Am track there. One reason is the lack of warmup facility.

Track, soccer, possibly swimming — away from the U of T’s Scarborough campus, where soil remediation alone could cost upward of $150 million — and cycling are among sports facing venue changes for the Pan Ams. The International Sport Federations, which control all technical aspects of international athletic events, need to approve facilities before granting status as Olympic qualifiers, which the 2015 people are hoping to achieve for a number of sports.

The international track body is said to be adamantly opposed to its performers needing to travel upward of an hour from the athletes’ village, basically at the foot of the Don River, to a Hamilton stadium. That opposition is the kicker in shifting track out of Hamilton.

Similarly, swimming is unlikely to end up in Scarborough, where there is no rapid transit to the facility (and won’t be by 2015) because of the international federation’s disapproval of travel times, among other things.

These Games have been ballyhooed, in the trendy jargon, as “green Games’’ but it’s tough to see how “green’’ anything is going to be when there isn’t a single venue within walking or cycling distance of the athletes’ village. Right now, everything is a commute and sometimes a long one.

The viability and expense of these Games is going to play a major role in the coming civic elections, both in Toronto and, given the way the stadium issue has lit rhetorical fires, in Hamilton. Both cities urgently require new leadership to make sense of the mess it has all become, with opening ceremonies less than five years away and the two main events still awaiting final location approval.

It’s going to be a tight squeeze to get everything built and ready for a test event in 2014, which was the plan all along.

Vancouver 2010 ran 86 events and had seven years to prepare and pre-built mountains. The Pan Ams have 310 events and are less than five years out. Yikes.

Pan Am is a blessing for TO. It will truly show how Toronto needs to get it's act together. The city hasn't developed as a whole. Scarborough might lose swimming simply because the city does not have high speed transit in that region.

Toronto is hands down my favourite city, but if it wants to host the EXPO or Olympics than it needs to fix it's growth.

I hope Pan Am opens the eyes of city hall to really understand the issues that have been a problem for years.

Toronto is hands down my favourite city, but if it wants to host the EXPO or Olympics than it needs to fix it's growth.

Not really. Mega Events can be concentrated around a small area. You don't need extensive networks if you're just funneling people into one area for a few weeks.

False
Similarly, swimming is unlikely to end up in Scarborough, where there is no rapid transit to the facility (and won’t be by 2015) because of the international federation’s disapproval of travel times, among other things.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/sports...mes-aquatics-facility-still-a-goScarborough's Pan American Games aquatics facility still a go
Coucillor, games officials quash report site is being reconsidered

Rumours speculating that construction of Scarborough's Pan AmGames aquatics facility is in jeopardy have been flatly denied by both the local city councillor and by a top Pan Am 2015 official.

Some reports indicated the cost of soil remediation on the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus would be prohibitive to construction because it had previously been used as a landfill. However, Scarborough East Councillor Ron Moeser and Pan Am 2015 CEO Ian Troop said the facility is going ahead as planned.

"There has been no discussion on relocation and work is going forward. Between the city, the U of T and the sports institute which will be a key tenant, they are making good progress and are moving forward on that," Troop said after a Pan Am board meeting on Thursday, July 29.

It was no secret that there would be costs associated with removing old landfill before construction could begin on the north-east corner of Military Trail and Morningside Avenue. That information was disclosed during the bidding process, though final costs are still unclear.

Reports cited costs of soil remediation as high as $150 million, but Moeser thought that number was greatly over inflated.

"There is a commitment by the city, commitment by U of T and I believe there is a commitment by Pan Am 2015. Due diligence is being done and at this point we are making sure we have all the facts before we put any figures out there. To me, $150 million is way, way out of what anybody contemplates," said Moeser.

"I stress that what is really important here is when figures like this come out that they be backed by facts and proper due diligence on the site. Proper investigation is part of that."

If, however unlikely, costs do rise to the point where the site is no longer viable, Moeser said contingencies are being investigated so the 300,000-square-foot facility could be built somewhere nearby to ensure the community would still benefit from local infrastructure and recreational benefits that come along with it.

Final official decisions on all Pan Am locations will be made in late September, but Moeser is confidant everything will go as planned because, "there is a lot of work being done in the background to make sure this happens."

What are you "false"ing?

EDIT: Actually, just in case you were trying to prove my comment wrong above, you should note that by "mega event" I don't mean these Pan Am Games. These aren't nearly in the same realm as a Summer Games or an Expo. A decentralized Olympics would be the worst idea ever and if someone ever proposed that they should be immediately fired and their picture should be put on the front of every newspaper so that we can all laugh at him/her when we see him/her.

Last edited:
Not really. Mega Events can be concentrated around a small area. You don't need extensive networks if you're just funneling people into one area for a few weeks.

I agree, but if TO wants those events it will have to show that it is able to plan a mid-sized event.

Back