Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Thom Mayne (Morphosis)? I highly doubt that a corporate client would hire his firm for an office tower unless they are feeling really, really adventurous. How about David Childs of SOM? Most famous might be a hyperbole, but his projects certainly aren't. Very safe, corporate KPMB-like designs.

AoD

Last edited:
The site isn't zoned, it will be out of the running for any new tennant. CF has a zoned site at ICE that would come first. The pattern downtown is the big owners like to have one site zoned at any given time in order to respond to proposals from tennants. If the ICE tower goes ahead I would expect CF would push the zoning here forward.

From Toronto Skyscapers

"Tower will be developed by Cadillac Fairview, one of which will be office and the other a Condo residential building, both of which will be over 220 meters tall. The office tower at a height of 234 meters would be the tallest office tower constructed in Toronto since Brookfield Place (aka BCE Place) on Front between Yonge and Bay Streets."

That blog belongs to Caltrane, a forum member here. Presumably that information came from several page back in this very thread. There's nothing new being reported.

That blog belongs to Caltrane, a forum member here. Presumably that information came from several page back in this very thread. There's nothing new being reported.

Yes, I was just about to say that the news is atleast a year and a half old. An application was submitted back in 2011. Did they ever do a community consultation meeting on this one? It might very well be on hold or undergoing substantial revision.

Nope, no community consultations yet.

Yup, that is old information. Just something for me to babble about until this project gets going.

Nothing solid will happen there until everything (including office proposals further along) that are in the current pipeline get built.

Remember its been 7 years since Cadillac Fairview last broke ground on an office tower (RBC-Centre) here in Toronto, while the Oxfords, Brookfields, Menkes, and everyone else have been busy building office structures.
They are due soon with 16 York, the future Eaton Centre tower, and this proposal

This project doesn't make any sense as currently proposed. The towers look very crowed on this site. The condo and office components should be combined into one mixed use Tower of +100 floors and +1000 ft.

This project doesn't make any sense as currently proposed. The towers look very crowed on this site. The condo and office components should be combined into one mixed use Tower of +100 floors and +1000 ft.

right now that is more of a massing model then a render, though as is it does look weird. the way the podium connects the towers and the way the towers rise from the podium dont look good.

The planner is Marian Prejel. We should have a UT representative contact her at mprejel@toronto.ca to find out the status on this one. (I always feel odd doing this myself since I don't live in the country.)

[off topic]
Or keep both towers but double the heights to 130 stories for the office and 108 stories for the residential. :D In all seriousness, Toronto needs more mixed-use buildings, especially along the main streets. I would like to see a requirement or density incentives offered for having podiums of at least six stories with office uses in the base.

Toronto's average market rent for class A office space is around $32 per sqft. That's a steep amount for smaller businesses to maintain an office in the city. Commercial office space in condo tower podiums could help provide reasonably priced office space for smaller businesses. /off topic]

I take it no one bothered to call the city? Shameful.

Anyway, this one is dead/stalled/awaiting to be resurrected. It's no longer active in the planning process. I hate to bump this thread with the negative news.

Back