Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Why did the lockdown force them to stop construction when other office towers like Scotiabank North, The Well, CIBC Square and even the ones that were still below grade like EQ Bank Tower (they installed a crane back in Feb) were business as usual?

Why did the lockdown force them to stop construction when other office towers like Scotiabank North, The Well, CIBC Square and even the ones that were still below grade like EQ Bank Tower (they installed a crane back in Feb) were business as usual?
May I take a gander that the developer (CF) put the breaks on this? 2 Queen West appears to have been stalled too. It maybe COVID related...but I really don't know.

Last edited:
It may be as simple as those projects just kept operating while risking the fine. I believe CIBC stopped work on the second phase as well.

I think it depends on whether or not they already got the permit at that time

The Well includes residential towers, so the project was deemed "essential". A similar argument was made for CIBC Square as it included transportation uses in the podium. Below grade construction was permitted to continue as essential, so that accounts for the EQ Bank Tower.

I never did understand how Scotiabank North managed to keep running. Nothing about the tower seemed to meet the criteria, but I'm assuming they managed to work something out with some level of government.

A single peek-a-boo shot; taken on March 10th, 2021 (from Bremner Blvd and Simcoe)

1615435656306.png

Back