Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

How can these two buildings be completely connected if the floor heights of the office component are different than the ones of the residential component?

oh they certainly wouldn't be connected in reality, the floor heights wouldn't allow that, but the line drawings don't do a great job in outlining exactly where one building ends and the other begins. The drawing just makes it seem that they're attached.

We'll see exactly how those buildings are shaped when the site plan comes out.

man that is a scary looking design... its like brutalism in glass. and with that full block of glass towers directly west it would have been nice to see some stone and brick used here. If that is actually 2 towers, there's going to be some pretty invasive views from each building into its neighbour.

It looks like the office tower will be on the north west corner, with the residential on the south-east. Residential looks like its a mix of curtain wall (sort of like how 1 bloor east has some curtain wall). It doesn't look horrible from the line drawings once you actually add in a bit of perspective IMO.

When we do get some more info, I'm particularly interested in seeing exactly how much tower separation there is...they look a bit close for comfort in that render.

man that is a scary looking design... its like brutalism in glass. and with that full block of glass towers directly west it would have been nice to see some stone and brick used here. If that is actually 2 towers, there's going to be some pretty invasive views from each building into its neighbour.

I'd just buy the condo immediately across from my office and string up a zipline between the 2 windows.

Best. Commute. Ever.

I agree with you. Time for some stone, to vary the textures along Front St.

These times are getting scary.

The line drawings don't necessarily look promising. It looks like a bulky, hulky (faulty?) development.

It's not terrible, but considering the area, it definitely could be better. In particular, some stone would be nice.

The residential building kind of has a One Bloor thing going on.

The office component is a box with a jagged roof. Pretty unimpressive, but could look decent if they were to take cues from New York's BOA Tower.

Other way round; the 65-storey residential tower is shorter than the 54-storey office tower. Office tower floor heights are greater than residential ones. Also notice the balconies on the shorter tower.

South:
photo3.jpg

I might be misinterpreting the elevations, but I think the residential tower has an L shaped floorplate. Is that right?

There are sections in the building code that dictate how close buildings can be - for fire separation. This design is either one building or they are really pushing the limits on separation - especiall if the residential building is all glass.

More from LeftCoaster at SSP:

Residential tower is shorter. Office is 234.3m condo will be 221.9m. This is all likely to change however as this project is still in its infancy.

Its just an application for a development permit. Its best to do it early so that when a tenant is eventually found the project is ready to go.

He also says that they are years away from construction.

Last edited:

Back