Toronto 1540 Bloor West | 91.9m | 27s | Trinity Group | IBI Group

but honestly, this market (resales and new) is in the toilet with pretty much zero sales going on.

bullshit6gf1.jpg

This development may self distruct even before the first shovel hits the ground due to most of the area residents not supporting it.Shame

Automation, I don't understand a lot of your posts, and no matter how I try to figure this one out, and what implied shame you are talking about, I just don't get it. Were area residents, in your opinion, supposed to buy units in this building to "support" it? How can something "self-distruct" from outside sources. Who is supposed to feel "Shame" about any of this?

Maybe what you are trying to say is that opposition to this building by neighbouring residents has caused it to sell less? If that's what you are saying though, then I still don't understand your post because we don't really know how well it is selling, we certainly don't know that any opposition to the building on the part of neighbours has anything to do with that (and it it were, I would guess that would be a first in the development industry in the city, as most buyers are blissfully unaware of any controversies surrounding the condos they purchase).

If this building fails to materialize (and I hope it does not, because to me it seems really quite interesting) it will be 100% because of the current recession that we are tumbling forthwith into, and it has nothing whatever to do with local residents. There is no shame here, unless you are in some oblique way referring to Lehman Brothers, etc., etc., etc.

People like to buy and live in vibrant neighbourhoods,there has been various proposals to make this area attractive of lofts and other commercial developments yet area residents have shot down most of the proposals due to height,design,parking,legal/notlegal issues etc. making this a pretty derelict neighbourhood which inturn effects sales. I too would like to see this condo succeed,it could be the start of a much needed change in mentality for new development to the area.

Last edited:
Automation, I think you are overestimating the power that residents actually have to influence developments in their neighbourhood.

TAS can ask the OMB to override decisions made by the City itself (on behalf of residents or otherwise). They've done it in the past. Many (most? all?) developers do this.

That means pure market forces are driving the fate of this development, and without accurate sales information (let alone funding), this is all a grossly uninformed debate about this building's expected success/failure.

Last edited:
many reasons

I agree with Grey, market forces are what will delay this project for a couple of years but for now the city won't approve for different reasons 1) the TTC report on this baby http://www.dundasandbloor.ca/site/dundas_and_bloor/assets/pdf/TTC_report,_1540_Bloor.pdf. 2) Your erecting a huge building adjacent to a subway station that is over 40 years old which adopts whole new problems of there own. 3) Gord Perks has made this project a personal crusade on part of the different community organizations.

Your erecting a huge building adjacent to a subway station that is over 40 years old which adopts whole new problems of there own.

I told you so.This area is doomed for any new development,Regarding the TTC and their 40 year station,they should fix those infustrucures that are crumbling all around town,they did not seem to be to worried about the 68 Storey Shangra-la condo being build beside another 30-40 old subway station on University Ave.
This neighbourhood unfortunaly is full of politics.

I don't think for a minute that the area is "doomed". It's a somewhat gritty and funky area, but seems to be on the way up, if anything. It's walking distance to Roncesvalles, a very walkable streets, and not far to the Junction, an area that has improved hugely in recent years. High Park is nearby. Admittedly the part of Bloor to the east is pretty sketchy. There has been talk about redeveloping the big Loblaw property just to the south.

As for the TTC station, proximity to the subway is usually seen as a good thing. I'm not sure that this station needs a lot of upgrading. It's better than quite a number of others. But in any case I'm not sure why this would hold back redevelopment in the area.

I don't think for a minute that the area is "doomed". It's a somewhat gritty and funky area, but seems to be on the way up, if anything. It's walking distance to Roncesvalles, a very walkable streets, and not far to the Junction, an area that has improved hugely in recent years. High Park is nearby. Admittedly the part of Bloor to the east is pretty sketchy. There has been talk about redeveloping the big Loblaw property just to the south.

Your right Roncy south of Howard Park is a pretty vibrant neighbourhood,But then again i dont know about that stretch from Dundas north to Keele and also Bloor west to Keele,seems to have no atmosphere with very little street life.

Last edited:
Your right Roncy south of Howard Park is a pretty vibrant neighbourhood,But then again i dont know about that stretch from Dundas north to Keele and also Bloor west to Keele,seems to have no atmosphere with very little street life.

Of course we know from seeing over and over again that these strips have a phenomenal capacity for change, and that it is often the least funky strips that have the most capacity to surprise. Dundas north of Bloor has a railroad on one side and only a few storefronts on the other, and so its not fair to judge it as a strip. Dundas south of Bloor is degraded, but there are a few outposts of change, and substantial change is quite possible if the Loblaws gap gets filled and new residents on that site and a future Giraffe provide new locals in search of pasta and pastries. The Junction and Ossington are maybe the best examples of how all this happens.

As for the TTC station, proximity to the subway is usually seen as a good thing. I'm not sure that this station needs a lot of upgrading. It's better than quite a number of others. But in any case I'm not sure why this would hold back redevelopment in the area.

Well, one arguably necessary "upgrading" might be an east entrance/GO connector...

Filling in that massive hole in the streetscape where Zellers and Loblaws are would help to at least make the streetscape more attractive on Dundas north of Roncesvalles. There's a lot of redevelopment potential there, with that large parking lot for those stores.

Great Time to Buy Here!

Crazy incentives here:

� Location: Bloor St. & Dundas St. West
� Borders on up and coming Roncesvalles Village
� Transportation: New GO Transit routes AND Subway line (St..Clair West) steps from the front door.
� Green Project: LEED Certified Building (100% green electricity)
� Special features: 9ft. ceilings, Italian cabinetry, stone countertops, 24/7 concierge service, party, lounge & fitness room, outdoor BBQ area and sun deck, small roof top allotment gardens to grow your own, input on your layout/design
� Price range: Starting in the low $200s
� Suites: 1 bed, 1 bed + den, 2 bed, 2 bed + den
� Demographics: Urban professionals to young families
� Occupancy: Early 2012

Investor Incentive Options

1. Lower price off list, CASH BACK on closing!
2. Guaranteed rental of your unit
3. Attractive Interest Rate Return on deposit guaranteed
4. Deposit structure only 15% spread out OVER 2 YEARS.
5. EMPLOYMENT GUARANTEE- if you lose your job, you get out of the contract and your deposit is returned.

End User Incentive Options

1. Lower price off list, CASH BACK on closing!
2. Your LIVING EXPENSES COVERED for a YEAR, including: Maintenance Fees, Property, Tax, Cable, Transportation, 3. Suite Upgrades for your unit.
4. Deposit structure only 15% spread out OVER 2 YEARS.
5. EMPLOYMENT GUARANTEE- if you lose your job, you may get out of the contract with deposit returned.

Links
http://www.tasdesignbuild.com/archive/news/tstar_2008-11-29.pdf
http://www.giraffeliving.com/neighbourhood/gallery/

We have been invited to bring in our clients (not the general public) for suite selection, sale price and incentive opportunities. If we introduce you to the Giraffe project, you will have direct access to this special pricing, incentives and suite selection.

If you are interested in this project, please contact:
Glen or David at glen@torontorealestatenow.com or call direct 416-985-LAND(5263)

Regards,

Glen Schultz*, Cindy Newton*, David Opie LL.B*.
Sales Representatives*
Coldwell Banker, Terrequity
3082 Bloor St. W., Toronto, ON., M8X1C8
416-251-5000
www.torontorealestatenow.com

Filling in that massive hole in the streetscape where Zellers and Loblaws are would help to at least make the streetscape more attractive on Dundas north of Roncesvalles. There's a lot of redevelopment potential there, with that large parking lot for those stores.

I visited both places for the first time not to long ago and both are dumps inside.

You tear that thing out and you can put in some nice large development. I would put back in those two store as part of the base retail as an anchor for the area.

All parking underground, but at 50% requirement.

Back