Toronto 1540 Bloor West | 91.9m | 27s | Trinity Group | IBI Group

I was told a few weeks ago construction is to not get underway until summer/fall 2010.

My real estate agent friend thinks this building will never be built (like 1989 all over again...) but anyway, I think they could chop 10 floors off the building.

I fantasize about this 'hood changing into a gorgeous intersection sort of like King and Spadina (office towers and apartment towers and loft buildings on all the vacant/underused land.)

Before sundown yesterday, I saw:

dsc00358.jpg

This project has been rejected by the city a while back and is sales have stalled at far below 50%. The Address at High Park will move much faster then this one since it is approved.

High Park up the road is a different more vibrant neighbourhood, regarding the city rejecting this project, the Nimbys and so called area Taxpayers must be ecstatic with the citys decision, The TTC and The City are also happy campers. The City now will not have to worry about how to control the little extra traffic that this building might have caused, and the TTC can now keep their ugly little stinky station without any interruptions. Its to bad, it would have been a nice addition to this derelict area. im hoping that one day they could bring something similar to this project down to Parkdale.

High Park up the road is a different more vibrant neighbourhood, regarding the city rejecting this project, the Nimbys and so called area Taxpayers must be ecstatic with the citys decision, The TTC and The City are also happy campers. The City now will not have to worry about how to control the little extra traffic that this building might have caused, and the TTC can now keep their ugly little stinky station without any interruptions. Its to bad, it would have been a nice addition to this derelict area. im hoping that one day they could bring something similar to this project down to Parkdale.

You should of gone to the Avenue studies that went on for over a year. I don't think that the site is dead in the water. The city is still waiting for another ttc report and that could take a while. They should of done what the Quadangle group did and just go straight to the OMB before waiting for approval from the city.

As sales have not reached a high enough level for them to worry about starting construction, what would be their rush to get to the O.M.B.?

...unless you count lack of City approval as a reason not to buy somewhere of course, which I do. I would say that's what they should have done: get approvals before starting sales.

The project has not even gone before the CofA, so there is no grounds to go before the OMB now.

The project has not even gone before the CofA, so there is no grounds to go before the OMB now.

Is the C of A committee of adjustment and if so why does it have to go there first? I don't really know the process that developers have to go through to get a development started but it would be interesting to know? Thanx

Is the C of A committee of adjustment and if so why does it have to go there first? I don't really know the process that developers have to go through to get a development started but it would be interesting to know? Thanx

Developers start with the local politicians and perhaps a few key community members to determine how the area 'feels' about their proposal. Developer submits application. City staffers weight in but only make a recommendation. Next is the CofA and Community Council. If it passes these, it goes to full council for an endorsement. The decision by the CofA can be challenged at the OMB by anyone including the city itself. OMB decision is final.

Applications to the CofA do not go to Community Council (but yes, decisions can be appealed to the OMB). These are different avenues. Depending on the existing development approvals (if any), zoning, and OP designation, the developer can make an application to the CofA as a minor variance (to the zoning by-law), or an application to City Planning for a full re-zoning and/or Official Plan Amendment. Usually the applicants will have a pre-consultation meeting with Planning Staff to determine what type of application is appropriate.

Changes to the zoning (ie. commercial to mixed-use) and permitted uses (ie. adding a retail store as a permitted use in a certain zone that does not permit retail uses) are not heard by the CofA and require a full rezoning and go before the Community COuncil for approval. Changes to certain provisions in the zoning (ie. increase the maximum building height or reduce the minimum setbacks) can go to the CofA as a minor variance. Multiple minor variances can be applied for in the same application.

There are 4 tests that a minor variance must demonstrate: is it minor, does it meet the intent of zoning by-law, does it meet the intent of the Official Plan, and is it appropriate. Minor variance application process is generally quicker than a rezoning application, and cheaper, but it is all dependant on the application itself.

Political and community support are always helpful regardless of the application, but more so the larger the development and the impact it will have on the surrounding community. There's no certain time to approach the councillor's office and community groups, but I feel the earlier the better, especially with something that may stir up the community.

Thanx Marcus A J, Hydrogen and Catcher of Cats. I knew greater minds than mine could explain it to me. Now I have a better picture of how the Quadrangle group was able to get their permit easier than Tas. Hopefully some sort of agreement will come out soon. It would be nice to see all the sites and the Roncey street Renos all done at the same. thanx again

Applications to the CofA do not go to Community Council (but yes, decisions can be appealed to the OMB). These are different avenues. Depending on the existing development approvals (if any), zoning, and OP designation, the developer can make an application to the CofA as a minor variance (to the zoning by-law), or an application to City Planning for a full re-zoning and/or Official Plan Amendment. Usually the applicants will have a pre-consultation meeting with Planning Staff to determine what type of application is appropriate.

Changes to the zoning (ie. commercial to mixed-use) and permitted uses (ie. adding a retail store as a permitted use in a certain zone that does not permit retail uses) are not heard by the CofA and require a full rezoning and go before the Community COuncil for approval. Changes to certain provisions in the zoning (ie. increase the maximum building height or reduce the minimum setbacks) can go to the CofA as a minor variance. Multiple minor variances can be applied for in the same application.

There are 4 tests that a minor variance must demonstrate: is it minor, does it meet the intent of zoning by-law, does it meet the intent of the Official Plan, and is it appropriate. Minor variance application process is generally quicker than a rezoning application, and cheaper, but it is all dependant on the application itself.

Political and community support are always helpful regardless of the application, but more so the larger the development and the impact it will have on the surrounding community. There's no certain time to approach the councillor's office and community groups, but I feel the earlier the better, especially with something that may stir up the community.

Source: Ian Lord?

I just wrote the final this morning! haha

Source: Ian Lord?

I just wrote the final this morning! haha

Source: practical experience, and I suppose some background knowledge from Ian Lord's courses.

Congrats on finishing your exam, hope you are just as relieved as I was by just finishing it (and at least passing).

Back