News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 557     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Yes and no. The order is still for 70 sets, but plans for a further 10 sets were cancelled for cost reductions in the budget.

The first order (in December 2006) was for 39 train sets (to replace the 30 train sets of H4 and H5 equipment, and provide for some growth. This included an option for a further 21 equipment sets (bringing the total to 60 sets) to replace the 21 train sets of existing H6 equipment and to add 8 train sets for the Spadina extension (coming out of that budget) - for a total of 68 train sets. In May 2010 TTC exercised this option, and also added a further 2 train sets for the Spadina extension, to bring the total of new train sets to 70.

There was in the 2011 capital budget an item to purchase a further 10 train sets (bringing the total to 80), to allow for increased service and growth, however this would also require additional storage space (which was also planned by prebuilding the Yonge extension subway tunnel north to Cummer to store 10 trains). It was the proposal for these further 10 train sets, which had never been ordered, which was cancelled (or at least postponed out of the 10-year budget timeframe) in the 2012 budget.

Many thanks for the details, the clarification is appreciated.

Question: Can the doors be opened while the train was in motion on the H-series trains? I've noticed on several occasions on the H-series trains that the doors will sometime open while the train is still stopping in a station. I never have had any safety concencerns about this, but the doors sometimes begin opening while the train still has another few inches to go before it stops. Am I just imagining this because the doors on the H trains open relatively quickly or does this actually happen?

Also, can the doors on the T-1 be open while the train begins to move? Last year I was on a T1, stopped at St. Clair West station and the train rolled forward a few centimeters with the doors wide open. I don't think that the driver intentionally moved the train because we were still waiting at the platform for at least a whole minute, so this may have been a mechanical issue a driver error.

Back in 1992 or 93 I was on a Bloor Line train where the door failed to close and the train took off - scary to be right next to an open door barrelling down a tunnel. At the next station TTC personnel came along, closed the door and barricaded it from use.

As far as our current fleet of streetcars are they still maintaining them? They look incredible rusty and like they're just flaking away.

So I guess you haven't seen the 30 or 40 (or more) cars that have been patched and repainted over the past 2 or 3 years then?

Or the fact that the majority of them are now sporting LED step and exterior lights?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Anybody knows what is TTC working on at the Tunnel between Queen and King for the second week and when are they going to be done. The speed there is being limited and every train crawls. I wanted to create a new thread in transportation but I don't have permissions with my user.

So I caught a random TR the other day, and get this....it pulled into the station, let people off and on (boring)...then the chimes sounded...the 'doors are closing' warning played...then the doors closed!!! In that order!!! One door glitch has been solved, it seems.

So I caught a random TR the other day, and get this....it pulled into the station, let people off and on (boring)...then the chimes sounded...the 'doors are closing' warning played...then the doors closed!!! In that order!!! One door glitch has been solved, it seems.

that's good news, I would have been happy if they just fixed when the doors attempt to close and play the announcement multiple times.

Once again - it is not a glitch. That is how that particular crew chose to operate.

Chimes sound upon the pressing of the Doors Close button, and the doors actually close upon the button's release.

that's good news, I would have been happy if they just fixed when the doors attempt to close and play the announcement multiple times.

That only happens when some moron holds open a door and the crew presses the Doors Closed button multiple times. Again, not a glitch.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Saw a TR this evening with 3 busted doors. Just wish people treated the subway cars better instead of holding the doors open and breaking them.

Once again - it is not a glitch. That is how that particular crew chose to operate.

Chimes sound upon the pressing of the Doors Close button, and the doors actually close upon the button's release.

"Glitch" or not, there's no way that system was designed so that the voiced warning about impending closure is supposed to be played after the doors have already closed. That's the 'glitch' I was applauding having been corrected. If it was being caused by operator error, then my applause stands....I'm glad they finally figured out how to work the buttons correctly. Although I still don't see the point of having both chimes and a vocal warning to begin with. Seems like the very definition of redundant.

"Glitch" or not, there's no way that system was designed so that the voiced warning about impending closure is supposed to be played after the doors have already closed.

You can call it what you like. That is precisely how the system was designed, and thus it operates as such.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

If according to what smallspy said is true, then there should be a general rule for operating these doors so that ALL crew members do the same. If it was me, I would press the button (chimes sound), "Please stand clear of doors" is announced, wait for at least 3-5 seconds, release the buttons (door closes). By doing that, it also gives some time for those rushing passengers to get on.

Other transit systems I've been on before, the operation is the opposite. The door closing would be announced first, then the chime, then door closes.

So in order, it should be like this:
"Please stand clear of doors" --> Door chimes --> Door closes

Instead of:
Door chimes --> "Please stand clear of doors" --> Door closes

Back