News   Jul 10, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.8K     4 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

It is a safety feature, but it only has a bit to do with the train coming to a complete stop. Rather, the operator must put the control handle into the full-stop position before the doors will open. Only then will the doorman be able to open the doors.

Although I don't expect to see the "doors open while the train is still coming to a stop" that I've seen in Europe (even on new trains!), I think it would be best for everyone if they could adjust the system so that the doors open the moment the train has come to a full stop like on all other TTC trains in service. There clearly isn't a safety issue with the current rolling stock.

Just curious. How long will it take to deliver all the trainsets? And what's the delivery schedule? (ie. 1 per month?)

They need to do something to allow the doors to open immediately after the operator gets the control handle to full-stop because it is taking an extra 5 seconds to open the doors and an extra 5 seconds to close the door with the additional stand clear of doors announcement. It adds up over a whole trip. I'm not sure why the doors closing announcement is required... a yellow flashing light and door chime followed by doors moving towards each other seemed pretty self explanatory to me.

They need to do something to allow the doors to open immediately after the operator gets the control handle to full-stop because it is taking an extra 5 seconds to open the doors and an extra 5 seconds to close the door with the additional stand clear of doors announcement. It adds up over a whole trip. I'm not sure why the doors closing announcement is required... a yellow flashing light and door chime followed by doors moving towards each other seemed pretty self explanatory to me.

The original door manufacture went bankrupt, one reason for the delay in delivery. The doors had to be made by some other manufacture than they normally have used, after searching for a replacement.

Although I don't expect to see the "doors open while the train is still coming to a stop" that I've seen in Europe (even on new trains!), I think it would be best for everyone if they could adjust the system so that the doors open the moment the train has come to a full stop like on all other TTC trains in service. There clearly isn't a safety issue with the current rolling stock.

I`m not sure who spec`d this particular manner, but it was claimed as a safety issue. Perhaps it has to do with the software issue that the T1s had in 2000?

Just curious. How long will it take to deliver all the trainsets? And what's the delivery schedule? (ie. 1 per month?)

The schedule is one trainset per month for the first year, and then a trainset every week and a half after.

It isn't taking 5 seconds to open the doors. And the delay in opening in the several times that I've ridden has been no worse than the delay in opening the doors on the older equipment.

As for closing, the controls are currently set up so that upon pushing the door close button the chimes and warning activate, and the doors will actually close upon releasing the button. It can happen at the same time if the crew wishes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What's going on with the new trains? Haven't seen them lately...aren't there supposed to be 5 sets? Are they in training? Or grounded due to problems?

Caught 5421-5426 yesterday... 2 times!

There is nothing wrong with the doors. The train leaves almost immediately after the doors close.

As of right now there are 3 Rockets in Revenue Service.

The ones in revenue service right now are
5411-5416
5421-5426
5431-5436

I rode on 5431-5436 yesterday afternoon during the rush hour.
When I was riding on 5431-5436 I have noticed that the doors are not having as much of a delay opening or closing.

Is there any particular time in the day that they run? I live in a place where I overlook the Yonge line, and just out of curiosity, I must have looked at about 30 trains pass. And I have used the Yonge line 5 or 6 times a week since the new train began service Never seen one.

On weekdays the rockets run from 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM
They take a break between 12:30 PM to 2:30 PM. Then they operate between
2:30 PM to 7:30 PM. On weekends the rockets are in service from 9:00
AM all the way to 7:00 PM

awesome! now i know when to catch those rockets! thanks!

About the delay regarding the doors opening and closing? Each time I've been on the new trains, it's taken several seconds before the doors open and close at all stops.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1049970--ttc-subway-cars-bound-for-nigeria

Tess Kalinowski said:
TTC subway cars bound for Nigeria

Just as the new Toronto Rocket trains start rolling in the subway tunnels, the TTC’s old cars are about to start moving right out of the city.
A company called Eko Rail has a deal to buy 255 H5 and H6 cars from the TTC to furnish a 27-kilometre surface rail line in Lagos, Nigeria.
The TTC cars are being gradually retired as the new Rockets come online.
The price for the cars is still under negotiation, according to TTC spokesman Brad Ross.
The first of the H5s is supposed to be trucked out of the Wilson yard to the U.S. next week where it will undergo an engineering evaluation.
The interiors of the cars will be refurbished and they will be converted to run on international track gauge, said London, England-based Michael Schabas, who is working with Eko Rail, the company expected to operate the Lagos line.
The Toronto-born Schabas toured the TTC with Lagos state governor Babatunde Fashola in May.
The H5s have been around since 1977 and 1980. The H6s date to 1986 and 1990. They were built by the Urban Transportation Development Corp., in Thunder Bay, which later became part of Bombardier.
The H4 cars, which are not air conditioned, are not being sold. They will be scrapped, said Ross.
It is not unusual for subway cars to be recycled. Seoul and Beijing cars have both had second lives in other cities.
The TTC announced in 2009 that there was an interested buyer for the H5 and H6 cars but it did not disclose where the subways might be heading.
Lagos has a population of about 15 million people and is expected to grow to about 25 million in the next decade. The new Blue line metro is expected to be running in about three years, said Schabas.
There are three Toronto Rockets already running on the Yonge subway line. They feature open gangways that allow riders to see and walk the entire length of the train. They also accommodate about 10 per cent more riders than the T1 subways, which will be moving to the Bloor-Danforth line.
Combined with a new computerized signaling system called automatic train control, the Rockets are expected to increase the Yonge line’s capacity by up to 30 per cent.

From the Toronto Star

Back