News   Jul 10, 2024
 255     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 2.1K     4 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I finally caught one on my way from Sheppard Station. Very sweet and smooth ride! It took me 2 stations to get from one end of the train to the other. Only one beef: I don't like the fact there is no railfan window on either end.
Put your face very close to the window (that looks like a mirror) and you get a railfan window. I did just that and it became a railfan window. I once complained about the Toronto Rockets not having railfan windows before until I tried viewing it very closely.

I've noticed a little problem while taking the new subway cars in the afternoon rush.

At the front of the car, where the ceiling is lower, there is nowhere for anyone to hold on. The result is a bunch of people in an open space with their hands on the ceiling trying not to fall down.

On the older cars this was never a problem, as people in the front can lean against the walls making forming the drivers cab. Stay away from the front on packed trains!

Nothing is as bad as the Paris Metro.. Their passenger-operated doors open way before the train stops.

That's bad?? That's awesome! That was one of the highlights of my trip to Paris! Opening the door before the train stops, and actually getting off while the train is still moving. Love it!

I rode one of the new Rockets earlier this week and the illuminated route map was not working. No lights, red or green, indicating the stations. The trains are brand new--how could it be malfunctioning already? As I was only riding for one or two stops I didn't have time to see if this problem was just the particular map I was looking at or the whole car (or the whole train). Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, is there a reason why the advertising on the trains is not back lit, as in the older trains? Somehow the non-back lit ads remind me of the very old subway trains or the old Rocket streetcars.

Isn't backlighting for the ads just one more thing to go wrong, and one more thing that might have to be repaired? I for one am happy to have ads lit the old-fashioned way, with reflected light from the front. It was good enuf fer my pappy, and it's good enuf fer me.

Isn't backlighting for the ads just one more thing to go wrong, and one more thing that might have to be repaired? I for one am happy to have ads lit the old-fashioned way, with reflected light from the front. It was good enuf fer my pappy, and it's good enuf fer me.
I doubt it matters much either way - there's still a lens that has to be removed in order to replace a light bulb.

That's bad?? That's awesome! That was one of the highlights of my trip to Paris! Opening the door before the train stops, and actually getting off while the train is still moving. Love it!

Not to mention that their newest trains (the version on steel wheels) are a much better ride than our newest trains, despite being older. I really like how the windows on the doors extend almost down to the floor. And of course, nothing beats jumping off of a moving train if you're on an older vehicle.

I didn't mean it as 'that's bad' from my perspective, but for safety. I had fun jumping off the trains too, and so did most people on it.

I didn't mean it as 'that's bad' from my perspective, but for safety. I had fun jumping off the trains too, and so did most people on it.

Safety? Who cares if it is safe or not, at least have fun.

262e41e34c31838e89cc4a490c0a.jpeg

I got to ride one of the new subway trains today! It pulled in just as I arrived on the platform at Union.

Later, around 16:30, something else occurred which I have never seen before on the subway. I was waiting on the southbound platform at Queen. The announcements were mentioning that blockages at Yorkdale and Summerhill were just clearing. I saw not one, not two, but five trains pass through the station with passengers on board. Four of them were southbound and one was northbound. What on earth was going on? I can see having to reposition trains as a blockage clears, but with passengers aboard? Were they operating as a sort of ad-hoc express? Is this a new procedure in the past year or so? (I've been mostly out of the city since the beginning of 2010.)

I got to ride one of the new subway trains today! It pulled in just as I arrived on the platform at Union.

Later, around 16:30, something else occurred which I have never seen before on the subway. I was waiting on the southbound platform at Queen. The announcements were mentioning that blockages at Yorkdale and Summerhill were just clearing. I saw not one, not two, but five trains pass through the station with passengers on board. Four of them were southbound and one was northbound. What on earth was going on? I can see having to reposition trains as a blockage clears, but with passengers aboard? Were they operating as a sort of ad-hoc express? Is this a new procedure in the past year or so? (I've been mostly out of the city since the beginning of 2010.)

I have experienced that once on a train and one while on a platform. The time on the platform it was because the station was put on some kind of lockdown by the police. It was done quickly and quietly without letting anyone know it was happening. After a few minutes of waiting while trains passed through, there was some yelling and two undercover cops had someone on the ground and dragged him away. My guess is it was someone who had just committed a crime and was attempting to flee via the subway.

At the front of the car, where the ceiling is lower, there is nowhere for anyone to hold on. The result is a bunch of people in an open space with their hands on the ceiling trying not to fall down.
That's a complaint I've heard from most of the people I know who have ridden the train.
Nothing is as bad as the Paris Metro.. Their passenger-operated doors open way before the train stops.
No one remembers when Toronto trains used to do this?

Back