News   Jul 09, 2024
 831     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 621     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The new trains will be here by June/July the latest with another few months of testing they will be in service for say around October give or take a few weeks here and there. As of now Wilson complex is not complete so it really does not matter if we had the trains because we could not service them and the mechanics have not been breefed yet on the new trains. After the initial inspection there were a lot issues that we had with the new trains. All those issues had to be corrected and redesigned. I will check into the door supplier thingy people.

The new trains will be here by June/July the latest with another few months of testing they will be in service for say around October give or take a few weeks here and there. As of now Wilson complex is not complete so it really does not matter if we had the trains because we could not service them and the mechanics have not been breefed yet on the new trains. After the initial inspection there were a lot issues that we had with the new trains. All those issues had to be corrected and redesigned. I will check into the door supplier thingy people.

cool! thx for the update agram! it was as expected, service around october. o well, better than nothin.

I hope they will be in service on my birthday oct. 28.

Thanks Agram; now YOU sound like a reliable insider...can you tell us, at least those of us who are interested in LCDs on-board (eh, noctis? - you'd better turn away, lol), since it sounds like you've been inside an actually built TR car, do the new cars have LCDs, and if so how / where are they configured, and what is envisioned (pardon the pun) to be displayed on them?

subwayboy (aka lcdboy):cool:

The TR we were on had nothing actually connected, the LCD screens were not put in at that time. I would not get too excited about those LCD screens, they sound good but in all reality they are a waste of $$$. Whats going to happen they will be scratched and busted so its just another piece of technology we have to keep fixing and replacing. When they do work what do you think they will show........the subway map and where you are presently.....WOW

The TR we were on had nothing actually connected, the LCD screens were not put in at that time. I would not get too excited about those LCD screens, they sound good but in all reality they are a waste of $$$. Whats going to happen they will be scratched and busted so its just another piece of technology we have to keep fixing and replacing. When they do work what do you think they will show........the subway map and where you are presently.....WOW

I think it's all a matter of one's perspective. These car-borne LCDs are popping up world-wide; check it out. All the "big" cities subway cars are getting them. But I've always found the Canadian attitude to be negative first (shoot first, ask questions later).
I think, by the enthusiastic reaction the LCDs are getting by other cities' passengers, they must be onto something.
We have the technology to protect them from theft / vandalism, and with the right programming / ads (updated wirelessly as they pass certain points on the route) they could actually MAKE $$$ for a cash strapped transit authority, and not a "waste" of $$$.

Love, (the positive-thinking-with-american-roots-) subwayboy

hey lcdboy! u are back lol

see i told u, even agram thinks that the lcds are not that important. costs $$ to maintain, and replace. but nothing can be final till we see the first tr train in service, so let's keep waiting patiently =)

When they do work what do you think they will show........the subway map and where you are presently.....WOW
Given that TTC can't be bothered to replace the missing subway maps in many trains these days, a map that isn't as removable would be a bonus! (I was on a train last night, and there were two poor people walking up and down the car looking for directions, because they weren't familiar with the Danforth line, and were wondering if they'd passed Main Street yet).

But generally I agree ... it's an unnecessary thing that's going to have to be maintained.

Given that TTC can't be bothered to replace the missing subway maps in many trains these days, a map that isn't as removable would be a bonus! (I was on a train last night, and there were two poor people walking up and down the car looking for directions, because they weren't familiar with the Danforth line, and were wondering if they'd passed Main Street yet).

But generally I agree ... it's an unnecessary thing that's going to have to be maintained.

Guys, me thinks you're missing the point. Of course it will have to be maintained; of course it's not "NECESSARY". My point is that they can put news, etc passenger-friendly entertainment messages etc (to enhance the rider-experience - badly needed PR for TTC right now) + can be a revenue maker (ads). Of course it can be silent, just like the ones (you've obviously accepted and probably look at and enjoy) on the platform while awaiting the next train.

Well, how about that....? ;)

My point is that they can put news, etc passenger-friendly entertainment messages etc (to enhance the rider-experience - badly needed PR for TTC right now) + can be a revenue maker (ads).
What do you think of the ones on the GO Trains ... that are just blank now.

This is what I want to see on the new (and old) TTC subway cars:

[video=youtube;HG_zyodzp7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_zyodzp7g[/video]
Real-time passenger information display system on the Montréal métro. Information supplied includes the name of the next station and (as here) interchange possibilities. When not showing travel information the displays show other local information, news, weather forecasts, etc and paid advertising.

However, Montréal has a lower farebox recovery ratio (higher subsidy) than Toronto, so has the money to spend on such toys (as the bean-counters or token-counters would call this).

Last edited:
This is what I want to see on the new (and old) TTC subway cars:

[video=youtube;HG_zyodzp7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_zyodzp7g[/video]

However, Montréal has a lower farebox recovery ratio (higher subsidy) than Toronto, so has the money to spend on such toys (as the bean-counters or token-counters would call this).

hmm not too shabby! i wouldnt mind having that on the new TRs

Back