News   Jul 09, 2024
 838     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 624     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I wasn't going to post anything since this is a 'non-update', but since I keep receiving PMs from some people, I may as well just say it once. I past by the Bombardier factory yesterday, there was nothing to see. The only tid-bit of information I could find was that the test-tracks are blanketed with snow, and Thunder Bay hasn't received since Christmas. ie, no trains have been tested in the new year in TBay.

I give status updates from up North here when I have information or photos, in other words: you don't need to ask.

plus five days with a divisional trainer, another operator, while they critique you

Drivers need this extra training ;)........Maintenance workers do not

The new trains better be in service before the election, or Giambrone is toast
I doubt that the vintage of the equipment on the Toronto subway would make any difference to the average voter for a local councillor. The oldest subway car in service in Toronto is newer than the newest subway car in service in Montreal. They are still running all their original 1960s equipment, along with the extra units they got in the early 1970s, while they wait for their new cars.

Frankly, as a tax-payer, I'd be more interested in knowing why other cities get 40-50 years out of a subway car, while we send them to the trash-heap at 20-30.

Frankly, as a tax-payer, I'd be more interested in knowing why other cities get 40-50 years out of a subway car, while we send them to the trash-heap at 20-30.

Hmm.. I can speculate.

Time is the wrong measurement. Distance is probably more appropriate in this case. They have enough cars for peak, which is 2 minute headways (likely at a slow speed); but off-peak still goes up to 12 minute headways.

A good number of cars would see two 4 hour shifts per day only and some units only do a couple of roundtrips per weekday. Toronto, by comparison, runs its cars longer on average.

It is possible Toronto's oldest trains have as many km on them as Montreals oldest.

Second thing to measure would be maintenance costs. TTC has always replaced based on improved reliability reducing maintenance costs and reducing the number of service outages rather than necessity to replace.

A breakage on the downtown portion of the Yonge line for 30 minutes to move a broken train has more impact than any location in Montreal. The big reason for this is in Montreal you can go around the issue (green vs orange) and platform crowding isn't as high.

Finally, I believe Montreal storage yards are indoors and somewhat climate controlled due to being in an enclosed space. They also don't experience freezing or hot summer sun; that's got to make a huge difference to metal fatigue. Also, except for washing, water never touches them.

What kind of politician promises the new subways in an election year only to not deliver? You're supposed to do that stuff after the election!

And there's nothing wrong with the condition of our subway trains, it's the extra capacity of the new trains which is important right now.

DSC02145.jpg

Can you sketch the perspective of the Downsview train in this photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Davisvilleyard.jpg

I need a sketch of just that one train, for a transit advocacy flier I am making, if you can help it would be great TTC12!

Its true, If I don't get those trains by this year I'll kill myself (not literally) I don't want them to be introduced in the summer because I won't be here, I want to be there for the first ride!

Kettal- I'm glad you liked them, I private Messaged you!

i know!!

Its true, If I don't get those trains by this year I'll kill myself (not literally) I don't want them to be introduced in the summer because I won't be here, I want to be there for the first ride!

Kettal- I'm glad you liked them, I private Messaged you!

I also want to be one of the first to ride them too!!:D

I'll probably be in HK this summer... coming back to these new trains will lessen the shock I hope~

Toronto Rocket welcome party

Do you guys think that there will be some special ceremony for them, if there is one i want to go!!:):D

it's the extra capacity of the new trains which is important right now.

Please share with us the extra capacity numbers!

Back