News   Jul 15, 2024
 285     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Well played. But how far do you take it? Would you board a plane with no pilots? Modern planes are capable of flying themselves including take off and landing.

Eventually I fully expect automated airplanes, probably with one pilot before there are zero. There used to be 3 on many aircraft but automation has reduced it to 2. A few more Germanwings and Malaysia Airlines type incidents and people will be clamouring for it. In many conditions a pilot is simply following lines set by computer, moving the aircraft into a box set by the computer relayed to the pilot by ATC and then programmed into the autopilot, or setting the position of the aircraft into a glidepath determined by the computer. Right now many airports and planes aren't designed for all the scenarios a pilot might see but if the technology continues to advance a pilot might end up having the Homer Simpson job of hitting the "Y" key on the computer.

A malfunctioning elevator has a much smaller problem area. Very few people are inconvenienced, particularly if there are other elevators or stairs.

A single malfunctioning train door could inconvenience a hundred thousand people if it took Yonge/Bloor station out of service for a couple hours. The 2 hour Barrie line outage just last week clearly shows we either need platform doors or more eyes on things. Pretend an automated train would have dragged him to York station. Cops would have shut down the Georgetown corridor for half a day to find the pieces. Some kind of monitoring and "stop" button would be nice, but there's no reason it can't be centralized in transit control.

Elevator malfunctions happen (very rare) but it's a far bigger problem when 2000 people see it happen and you need to tell tens of thousands of others about it.
http://i.imgur.com/Brfpm6y.gifv

Interesting arguement that since a death ocurred on a train with an operator, that somehow means an automatic train (which would have additional safety features) is not safe.

I am absolutely in awe at some of the comments in this thread. I would love to gather up the lot of you who fear automation and stick you in the front of a Line 14 Meteor train in Paris with the headlights off and just giggle.

To the comment regarding being dragged under the train, I'm sure the operator would've been able to see the accident and stop... Not...
It wa definitely not the drivers initiative to stop the train... It was probably signaled by either passengers or somebody on the platform

Seriously as already mentioned the issue is just torontonian draconian society that hasn't opened its eyes to the rest of the developed world.
On that note let's move and and get back onto the main topic which is the Tr.

How old are you people? Really? You trust human operators above computers? Or have you even left the city and gone to other places - like Vancouver - where they manage perfectly well with no staff on the trains at all? The future is going to be automated, time to deal with that fact.

How old are you people? Really? You trust human operators above computers? Or have you even left the city and gone to other places - like Vancouver - where they manage perfectly well with no staff on the trains at all? The future is going to be automated, time to deal with that fact.

I don't think we need humans to operate the vehicles, but I think there is a place for having a single staff member on board. Case in point - when the automated system was down on Skytrain, riders were jamming the doors open absent instructions when the system is still powered. I have a feeling having one trained operator on board be helpful in that regard.

AoD

Well played. But how far do you take it? Would you board a plane with no pilots? Modern planes are capable of flying themselves including take off and landing.

A plane is a much more complicated piece of equipment that isn't guided by a track but rather exists in a 3d space and must continue forward momentum in order to maintain flight.

It is a completely different ball game than a tracked vehicle in a signaled system.

If a train part fails the train stops, it doesnt fall out of the sky. Pilots are basically 24/7 technicians nowdays, on call when something goes wrong, because with a plane if something goes wrong theres a good chance you will smack into the ground. With a train it sucks to be stalled on the track but you can wait for a technician to show up.

Last edited:
I was riding one of the Toronto Rockets today (5721-5726) and I heard new announcements. After the original announcement is played, then the message "the doors will open on the left side" or "the doors will open on the right side" played out. I think they are adding that to all of the TR's to increase the convenience for passengers.

I was riding one of the Toronto Rockets today (5721-5726) and I heard new announcements. After the original announcement is played, then the message "the doors will open on the left side" or "the doors will open on the right side" played out. I think they are adding that to all of the TR's to increase the convenience for passengers.

I really hope they use this new add-on to replace the moving arrows on the led screens. They really do need to reformat their displays as not only do they type in too much prose into their announcement display (especially for interchange/terminal stations) and the lower half is wasted with that moving arrow that only displays relevant information for 10 sec prior to stopping in the station. They should use that half for info such as a larger station name or even the date/time

I really hope they use this new add-on to replace the moving arrows on the led screens. They really do need to reformat their displays as not only do they type in too much prose into their announcement display (especially for interchange/terminal stations) and the lower half is wasted with that moving arrow that only displays relevant information for 10 sec prior to stopping in the station. They should use that half for info such as a larger station name or even the date/time

They won't remove the moving arrows, else they want to upset the hearing impaired (deaf).

They really need to ditch he serrifed fonts on the displays too. They look awful.

They won't remove the moving arrows, else they want to upset the hearing impaired (deaf).

out of curiosity is it a provincial mandate to have visual displays of which side the door opens at or is it a mere convenience?
Regardless TTC needs to rethink their displays to be more clear, concise and legible from more than 5ft away

The TRs really need to stop talking so much. I much prefer riding the old T1 trains where the stops are announced by a human voice, and where I don't get bombarded with unnecessary fluff like "please stand clear of the doors", "this station connects with the BD subway".

It's no different than many metro systems around the world. If you think the TR announcements are too much, you'll go crazy using the London Underground.

Back