News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Toronto Rocket #6000 is now in service. Yes, this really is our 6000th TR trainset ;). Catch it looking shiny on Line 1.

Actually each number represents a car not a train set and every Toronto subway car has had a number starting with 5. This makes the total train cars total to 1,000 at the most but I think it's still less than that because I don't think they started at 5,000 and used every single number

Last edited:
Oh my god are people actually going nuts over the idea of a driverless train? Get out and travel the world a bit, this is nothing new and countless dozens of cities around the world run their systems with zero onboard staff. Just because it's "new" to Torontonians doesn't mean it has to be something horrifying and scary likes its brand new and has never been done before. Hell, outside of a few lines in Paris that aren't automated yet, every single other system there (France) is fully driverless. So much SMH with that mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then send workers to the affected vehicles.

Plenty of other metros have completely automated operations, and they don't seem to have any issues with operations, including under emergencies.

This. 1000000000 times this. By saying Toronto can't have driverless ops you're effectively saying that every other city in the world with fully automated metro is wrong.

Actually each number represents a car not a train set and every Toronto subway car has had a number starting with 5. This makes the total train cars total to 1,000 at the most but I think it's still less than that because I don't think they started at 5,000 and used every single number
Yeah.. I was joking about the 6000th train thing.

Toronto has about 850 TR and T1 cars, if I recall correctly.

I dunno, I can’t say I fully support subways completely devoid of any personnel. I’m sure that makes me seem a tad closed-minded, or maybe even like a Luddite. But I feel like it’s worth the cost to have someone on board. Seeing the massive passenger volumes on our trains, and being aware of the potential for any kind of major problem...I can’t agree with there not being a paid professional for each train.

Related rant: I’m actually not even that supportive of ATC on Yonge. My reason? I think it’s another band-aid and evasion of the real issue: we need another bloody line paralleling Yonge to its east. Why are we pussyfooting around this all the time? Yonge reached 30k peak thirty years ago for crying out loud! A DRL should’ve opened the day that happened. But instead we get talk of:

-ATC
-longer trains
-rebuilding Yonge/Bloor
-reintroducing interlining
-platform doors
-York Region pushing insulting non-DRL ideas
-SmartTrack being called a "relief" line
-personnel to direct people down the platform
...and fairly soon paid goons to help cram you into cars

Instead of all this, why not just plan/finance/construct a proper Don Mills-Queen Subway?

Lots of systems around the world either have no staff member, or one staff member while the train is driven by computer. Plenty of examples of both situations.

If we're going to have no staff member on board you'd still want staff or security at the stations in order to respond to all the random fights & incidents on the subway when the emergency alarm is pushed.

Automated? The next thing to happen is automated elevators, which would get rid of the elevator operator. Will passengers risk life and limb to board elevators without there being an elevator operator?

Well played. But how far do you take it? Would you board a plane with no pilots? Modern planes are capable of flying themselves including take off and landing.

Well played. But how far do you take it? Would you board a plane with no pilots? Modern planes are capable of flying themselves including take off and landing.

You also still have the emergency alarm or emergency call on elevators in case they get stuck or something. Just saying, random incidents do happen on the subway all the time that require security. We've all seen it, right?

You also still have the emergency alarm or emergency call on elevators in case they get stuck or something. Just saying, random incidents do happen on the subway all the time that require security. We've all seen it, right?

I've been stuck in an elevator waiting for a service guy for 2 hours. I've never needed assistance on the subway.

Just saying...

Automated? The next thing to happen is automated elevators, which would get rid of the elevator operator. Will passengers risk life and limb to board elevators without there being an elevator operator?

Who's going to stop the elevator if I get a limb stuck in the door? I would never trust a computer to do that :)

Actually, ignore that. I thought this was 1950.

Who's going to stop the elevator if I get a limb stuck in the door? I would never trust a computer to do that :)

Actually, ignore that. I thought this was 1950.

A malfunctioning elevator has a much smaller problem area. Very few people are inconvenienced, particularly if there are other elevators or stairs.

A single malfunctioning train door could inconvenience a hundred thousand people if it took Yonge/Bloor station out of service for a couple hours. The 2 hour Barrie line outage just last week clearly shows we either need platform doors or more eyes on things. Pretend an automated train would have dragged him to York station. Cops would have shut down the Georgetown corridor for half a day to find the pieces. Some kind of monitoring and "stop" button would be nice, but there's no reason it can't be centralized in transit control.

Elevator malfunctions happen (very rare) but it's a far bigger problem when 2000 people see it happen and you need to tell tens of thousands of others about it.
http://i.imgur.com/Brfpm6y.gifv

Last edited:

Back