News   Jul 15, 2024
 63     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 339     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Me thinks they will want to run a train set through the system at night for quite sometime before revenue service...

Me thinks they will want to run a train set through the system at night for quite sometime before revenue service...

...sure, maybe a nighttime run or two to familiarize each would-be operator with the, erm, "handling" (inasmuch as something like that exists on a railed vehicle).

But the point of shipping a subway car at great expense to Millhaven is precisely so they can run the train as much as they want without worrying about staying up all night or getting out of the way in time for the morning rush.

Considering Toronto's tracks are well "broken-in" and constantly checked to prevent any anomalies, 99% of all possible teething problems with these trains would be track-independent and are far more likely to be caught doing hundreds of hours of tests at a dedicated facility. The remaining 1% or so relate to how this model of train might interact with specific weirdnesses of the Toronto track geometry, but I hardly think it'll take dozens of runs along YUS to give it a clean bill of health.

new ttc subway cars

has anybody passed by wilson yard lately cause im probably gonna pass by it to take transit photographyand/videography on Friday any1 wanna go with me:D so excited.... i wish it arives soon "i wonder what the chimes would sound like or when the train is leaving!" i hope its like the T-1'S that would be awesome!:D

Steel subways? What is this, the fifties?

The TTC was an industry leader back in the day when we were the first ones to switch to the aluminum chassis with the main benefit being the reduction in weight.

The original steel cars were painted to stop rusting, but because aluminum doesn't rust, it doesn't need to be painted (ie money saved).

If you've done your research, you will realize that stainless steel is a very popular material for moving stocks around the world, particularly in Asian countires and even New York. The main avoidance to this material is cost.

Let's not argue over this please.

I find it hard to believe you can't paint on stainless steel. As keiTHz pointed out, there are examples of painted stainless steel vehicles/products.

In any case, if the TTC wanted to make the cards red I don't think Bombardier would have trouble accommodating them.

Please do research.

Regular paint doesn't stick on stainless steel.

To be at a grade for commercial use, stainless steel need to be powder coated, which is in itself a readily complicated and expensive task. Not to mention that power coated finish need to be taken care of and maintained very carefully, which would be wasted efforts because the purpose of using stainless steel in the first place is to have very low maintenance.

I am a bit of a retro fan. That probably explains my taste. But on the subway cars, I think cold grey steel is best.

ps. It's a myth that stainless steel can't be painted. It can. It's just expensive. See aircraft and automotive painting.

With reference to the post above.

I agree with Keithz, but I also agree with my self in that painting stainless steel isn't feasible the use on subway stocks.

Although only if you consider powder coating to be a method of painting. Many would consider melting a layer of plastic onto a surface to be simply, coating.

The primer method of painting stainless steel doesn't guarantee that the paint will stick, it only helps with adhesion, so let's not go there.

Last edited:
Please do research.

Regular paint doesn't stick on stainless steel.

To be at a grade for commercial use, stainless steel need to be powder coated, which is in itself a readily complicated and expensive task. Not to mention that power coated finish need to be taken care of and maintained very carefully, which would be wasted efforts because the purpose of using stainless steel in the first place is to have very low maintenance.

So in other words, yes, you can paint on stainless steel.

So does this mean that streetcars and busses are made out of a different type of metal to make it more worthwhile to paint them though, as opposed to subway cars?

So does this mean that streetcars and busses are made out of a different type of metal to make it more worthwhile to paint them though, as opposed to subway cars?

Some of TTC's newer busses have stainless steele frames (Flyer D40LF), I don't know if the new Orion VIIs have it too. The body of the new Orion VIIs are either aluminum or fiberglass.

I have no clue what our streetcar frame is made of and judging from the rivets the body look like aluminum. Our new LRT trams look like it's going to be all plastic body... oops I mean fiberglass.

Last edited:
has anybody passed by wilson yard lately cause im probably gonna pass by it to take transit photographyand/videography on Friday any1 wanna go with me:D so excited.... i wish it arives soon "i wonder what the chimes would sound like or when the train is leaving!" i hope its like the T-1'S that would be awesome!:D

Don't forget, these cars will be around for (knowing the TTC) 30 years, so save some of that excitement for later.

also very shiny silver would look nice on the subway:D

Have you not seen the subway before?

Back