News   Jul 15, 2024
 769     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 918     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I live on Line 2 so I don't ride the Rocket trains that often. I took family to the ROM today and went a few stops on Line 1 to Museum. The station looks great.

The Rocket is a serious people mover and and awesome ride. Even the robustness of the train's AC and ventilation is apparent as it pulls into the station vs a T1 set. It's awesome to think we have trains this great here.

Now we just need more track...but that is another thread / discussion / civil war...

Btw. For a summer Saturday, there sure we're a lot of people out and about on the subway.

About time they caught up with major metro systems... Though I rather they fix the flipped led lights on the map first and activate the external speakers

About time they caught up with major metro systems...

Why? Is our system so complex that people frequently get confused about the direction and destination of the train in front of them? From what I've seen, I'd say no.

Though I rather they fix the flipped led lights on the map first and activate the external speakers

The next software update should fix both of these. There are a number of sets currently testing it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Why? Is our system so complex that people frequently get confused about the direction and destination of the train in front of them? From what I've seen, I'd say no

You'd probably think it's a moot feature because you've been riding the same line for years but new/infrequent riders or tourists can always use a hand where possible. This is especially true at Union station where southbound all of sudden turns to northbound and it's sometimes easy to mix up the direction when rushing for the train.

Why? Is our system so complex that people frequently get confused about the direction and destination of the train in front of them? From what I've seen, I'd say no.

I'd say yes, it's even happened to me. If you miss the destination sign on Line 1 and are heading past St Clair West you might be surprised to be kicked off when it short turns. I've also had many people ask me where the train is going at terminal stations like Kipling. Not an overwhelming reason to have them, but it wouldn't hurt.

The MTA is sticking with the lack of perpendicular seats.

Good thing only Line 3 uses trains that lack perpendicular seats (Lines 1, 2, and 4 regularly use trains that have perpendicular seats).

Here are other things Toronto and NYC's respective subway systems don't model each other off:
  • NYC uses mosaic for station names, while Toronto uses a unique font
  • MTA trains' door-closing chimes have two notes, while the TTC's have three notes
  • MTA trains are standard gauge, while Line 3 is the only extant line in Toronto that uses standard gauge; the other three extant lines in Toronto use a unique gauge
  • NYC has express subway services, while Toronto doesn't

Last edited:
The MTA is sticking with the lack of perpendicular seats.

Good thing only Line 3 uses trains that lack perpendicular seats (Lines 1, 2, and 4 regularly use trains that have perpendicular seats).

Here are other things Toronto and NYC's respective subway systems don't model each other off:
  • NYC uses mosaic for station names, while Toronto uses a unique font
  • MTA trains' door-closing chimes have two notes, while the TTC's have three notes
  • MTA trains are standard gauge, while Line 3 is the only extant line in Toronto that uses standard gauge; the other three extant lines in Toronto use a unique gauge
  • NYC has express subway services, while Toronto doesn't

Don't forget that New York didn't scale back their three-stop, five-billion-dollar subway extension.

Don't forget that New York didn't scale back their three-stop, five-billion-dollar subway extension.

Really?

'Cause I could have sworn that what they are building is the only portion of the line that is currently funded - and that there's another 6 miles of it to build after this part's done.

So yeah, I'd think it's fair to say that it's been scaled back somewhat.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Really?

'Cause I could have sworn that what they are building is the only portion of the line that is currently funded - and that there's another 6 miles of it to build after this part's done.

So yeah, I'd think it's fair to say that it's been scaled back somewhat.

I think they always planned on building it in phases. First one was up to 96th Street, second is to 125th Street, third goes down to Houston Street and the fourth to Hudson Square.

By the way, if you ever feel like the Yonge Line is packed, remember that the Lexington Avenue subway (the SAS is a "relief line" of sorts for it) has as many passengers as all three Toronto subway lines and the entire streetcar system, combined, and it's shorter than the Yonge line (13 km)

Back