News   May 10, 2024
 726     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 854     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 932     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

It is a TR. H5s and H6s are being shipped south-west via Hamilton to the Buffalo area.

As for the why there, they have been shipping them down the east side of Lake Simcoe (via Highway 48 and Woodbine Ave., I believe). I guess he was about to get onto the 404 for the final leg to Wilson.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Maybe he got stuck once he figured out that to get to Wilson he should be headed south....or, maybe, some politician had promised that the subway would come to York Region by 2013 and this was just a technical meeting of that promise ;)

Forgive me for not wanting to go through 179 pages of this thread, but when will these lovely trains start running on the Bloor line??

Where exactly do they drive the TR's down from (CN yard somewhere?)? I saw them driving SB at highway 48/Mt Albert. Thanks

As far as I know, there are not any plans to run them on the Bloor line.

I believe that is the plan as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the plan was to eventually have YUS running all TRs, and have all the T1s moved over to B-D (and I guess Sheppard, even though it's only running T1s to begin with).

How hard is it to do a software update on these things? None of our suggestions such as swapping the colours on the minimap, using the LCD screens for surface connections/updates, rewording the robolady's announcement of interchange stations, or fixing her poor pronunciation of "Dumbass" station have been executed.

I believe that is the plan as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the plan was to eventually have YUS running all TRs, and have all the T1s moved over to B-D (and I guess Sheppard, even though it's only running T1s to begin with).

I have a feeling the plans may change. From my understanding, the Danforth Extension will require a few new trainsets. I'm not sure if the TTC has enough "spare" T1 trainsets to meet this need. If there aren't enough, they may have to order a few TRs for the Bloor-Danforth.

I have a feeling the plans may change. From my understanding, the Danforth Extension will require a few new trainsets. I'm not sure if the TTC has enough "spare" T1 trainsets to meet this need. If there aren't enough, they may have to order a few TRs for the Bloor-Danforth.
Plans may change. But there's currently no plans to use TR anywhere but the YUS line.

If you look at Steve Munro's summary of the 2013 capital budget subway fleet forecasts, there's currently 7 spare T1 sets. But as anticipated ridership grows, these will all be in use by about 2023 or so. So if the City changes it's minds and extends the Danforth subway (remember the current approval is contingent on $1.8 billion provincial funding, and the province said they'd only provide $1.4 billion) they'd have to buy new TR or similar trains. But they'll need to do that about then anyway.

So mid 2020s is a good guess. Also by 2025 the oldest T1 trains will then be 30 years old. As they'd likely be implementing ATC on the BD line about then, they'll have to decide if they want to retrofit all the T1s, or simply replace them all. After all, some of the H6 equipment currently being replaced is only 24 years old now, and the oldest H6 equipment is only 27 years old.

Forgive me for not wanting to go through 179 pages of this thread, but when will these lovely trains start running on the Bloor line??

Based on Transit Toronto, see this link, the older trains from the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina get transferred to 2 Bloor-Danforth as the new Rocket trains come in.

The T1's (5000-5371) were built 1995-2001 and are on both 1 and 2 lines, and the H6's (5810-5935) were built 1986-1989 and are currently on the 2 Bloor-Danforth line. Currently, the H5's (5670-5807) were built 1976-1979 are on the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina line, so could be bumped to the 2 Bloor-Danforth but unlikely since they are approaching their 30+ year life span.

Allowing 30+ years life span for subway trains, I would be waiting until after 2026 before the Rocket trains get to the 2 Bloor-Danforth line. Likely by that time, a new design for subway trains would start to be needed, which would then be assigned to the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina line first.

Based on Transit Toronto, see this link, the older trains from the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina get transferred to 2 Bloor-Danforth as the new Rocket trains come in.

The T1's (5000-5371) were built 1995-2001 and are on both 1 and 2 lines, and the H6's (5810-5935) were built 1986-1989 and are currently on the 2 Bloor-Danforth line. Currently, the H5's (5670-5807) were built 1976-1979 are on the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina line, so could be bumped to the 2 Bloor-Danforth but unlikely since they are approaching their 30+ year life span.

Allowing 30+ years life span for subway trains, I would be waiting until after 2026 before the Rocket trains get to the 2 Bloor-Danforth line. Likely by that time, a new design for subway trains would start to be needed, which would then be assigned to the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina line first.

H-5s are no longer in service in Toronto. They are heading to Lagos, Nigeria, via Buffalo.

They could make the Sheppard route entirely an LRT and use those T1s instead.

That could end up being an ingenious solution to avoid paying Bombardier huge cancellation fees for the SLRT vehicles. Could also allow Metrolinx to keep the Conlins Yard, since it would be serving all of Sheppard.

Of course, this solution would require an extra $600 million to achieve. But hey, seems like Council is willing to throw around that kind of money without even preliminary planning anyway, so why not!

Back