Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

Toronto Model 06-12-20 1200 Bay.png

The architectural plans clearly show the 324 metre height is excluding the Mech. penthouse. Careful scrutiny shows the Mech. penthouse to be ~2.5 metres high. The thread title should be updated.

It would nice if this developer would honour the facade look of this building as seen in the photos up above . And incorporate it into the new building. By using lighter materials and maybe having square windows instead for better viewing . Would look awesome as it climbs over 300 meters from a distance ! PS. If anyone knows how to photo shop that image please do I would love to see that !

The architectural plans clearly show the 324 metre height is excluding the Mech. penthouse. Careful scrutiny shows the Mech. penthouse to be ~2.5 metres high. The thread title should be updated.
Agreed, so I've changed it. It's all more than likely to change of course as this moves through the planning process.

Posted this at SSP, where I found inspiration for my "shunned" style UT signature... 📉

The "half pencil" 1200 Bay got me to thinking about Pei's 1972 ComCourtWest... vaguely remember reading about the international attention the tower received from architects and engineers (lots of it related to height-width ratios).

Though down right chubby compared to 1200 Bay, think maybe it deserves some love, foreshadowing extreme height/width ratios (sorta the first "half pencil" of its time). When I bought my first Minolta I took a sh*t load of CCW photos.. no podiums of course so you could (still can) shoot straight up with your nose to the glass.

Vik Pahwa shot from Flickr.

28563280496_41f9b293bc_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/7650/28563280496_41f9b293bc_b.jpg

Hey Bjays92.. I have still barely-touched "Jay92" Ontario vanity license plates ........ signed by... Joe Carter.

Did an event with the Jays at SkyDome.

I appreciate your thumbs up on my post above, so don't understand why I wanted to make you green with envy 👿

Hey Bjays92.. I have still barely-touched "Jay92" Ontario vanity license plates ........ signed by... Joe Carter.

Did an event with the Jays at SkyDome.

I appreciate your thumbs up on my post above, so don't understand why I wanted to make you green with envy 👿
I may have to rescind my likes then :eek:

Commerce Court West, and also Scotia Plaza I'd say both foreshadowed the super slim trend. If Herzog can pull off anything close to Scotia plaza in terms of beauty and design, then thisll be a hit

(Yes that was my attempt to keep this thread on topic 😂 I definitely would love really any world series age memorabilia, in fact my memorabilia for sports teams in general is lacking)

The plans actually show NO mechanical penthouse, just a few floors throughout the building labelled "mechanical":

1592366903024.png

This seems rather unlikely for a building of this height and slenderness. Where is the damper (or dampers) that would be needed to prevent sway, like in similar New York buildings?

tunedmassdamper111.png

1592366841369.png

Though 1200 Bay is not as tall as 111 W 57, it would still need more than what is shown. Even a conventional tower would need higher ceiling heights for mechanical floors housing boilers, cooling tower, elevator machine rooms, etc. What is disappointing is the implication that this is not intended as a real building, only a fantasy zoning exercise with a "star-chitect". Pity because it's quite a beautiful design.

Last edited:
^ I wondered the same thing regarding dampers etc. Maybe they are hoping for 80 Bloor W to mitigate the westerlies. Not exactly a dependable crystal ball plan (like their proposed volume massing change to 80 Bloor - that seemed just a tiny bit presumptuous).

The north/south elevations certainly won't have wind issues. The two foot wide n/s hallways maybe be an issue... ;-)

The plans actually show NO mechanical penthouse, just a few floors throughout the building labelled "mechanical":

View attachment 252052

This seems rather unlikely for a building of this height and slenderness. Where is the damper (or dampers) that would be needed to prevent sway, like in similar New York buildings?

View attachment 252053

View attachment 252051

Though 1200 Bay is not as tall as 111 W 57, it would still need more than what is shown. Even a conventional tower would need higher ceiling heights for mechanical floors housing boilers, cooling tower, elevator machine rooms, etc. What is disappointing is the implication that this is not intended as a real building, only a fantasy zoning exercise with a "star-chitect". Pity because it's quite a beautiful design.
Mechanical floors don't necessarily have to be located in the penthouse of the building, for example 81 Bay St is almost at ground level.
1592431545093.png

The water for the cooling towers would just be piped to the mechanical floor on a lower level, for boilers the exhaust could easily be ran in a mechanical shaft and vented at the roof. The 80th floor would be a realistic location for the mechanical room.
Same thing with elevator machine rooms, depending on the elevator cars (i.e. bottom drive traction types) the machine room can be located next to the elevator shafts or at the bottom of them.

The blue highlighted area is the elevator machine room next to the elevator shaft.
1592432012656.png

As for tuned mass dampers i'm not entirely sure as i am not a structural engineer, but i believe they could be located below the restaurant based on other buildings with dampers.

Back