Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

Would be quite the view down Bay Street if this building goes through:

20200830_073603.jpg

Preliminary Report to next TEYCC on September 16th.

City is 100% clear that proposal as-is is a hard No.

From the report:

The proposal is not acceptable, the tower is too tall, and the site is too small to accommodate a tall building with appropriate tower setbacks and separation distances. Staff will work with th eapplicant to determine what form of developmet may be appropriate and achievable on this site. It is not clear whether a tall building is achievable without working with the adjacent land owner to the west to achieve appropriate tower separation

Preliminary Report to next TEYCC on September 16th.

City is 100% clear that proposal as-is is a hard No.

From the report:

The proposal is not acceptable, the tower is too tall, and the site is too small to accommodate a tall building with appropriate tower setbacks and separation distances. Staff will work with th eapplicant to determine what form of developmet may be appropriate and achievable on this site. It is not clear whether a tall building is achievable without working with the adjacent land owner to the west to achieve appropriate tower separation
What are the chances height stays the same and separation is fixed?

What are the chances height stays the same and separation is fixed?

Very low. They could own the entire block and shadowing issues would still get them. It'll be 260m or shorter.

Of course, the province could intervene as they did at Yonge/Eglinton and decide a number of regulations (both at the city and province) don't apply to this area. Residents in earlier buildings that spent big money following the rules (like Four Seasons) would argue strongly against that type of change though.

Last edited:
Goodness, Council already showed up with a pair pruning shears before the devs had a chance to sit down to negotiate...

Goodness, Council already showed up with a pair pruning shears before the devs had a chance to sit down to negotiate...
If you thought a 326m tower was going to sail through anywhere in this city - even the Financial Core - I've got some great land up in the Greenbelt, prime for supertalls! Grow a garden of them!

If you thought a 326m tower was going to sail through anywhere in this city - even the Financial Core - I've got some great land up in the Greenbelt, prime for supertalls! Grow a garden of them!

Nope...I was predicting the opposite actually:

...if it does get built, it would be one of significant pruning unless they can justify and make it everyone's worth while for its planned height.

(Posted on June 3 of this year when this was first announced.)

...either way, I'll take a rain cheque...on that, err Greenbelt land you have for "sale". Thnkx anyways! 😅

Make it taller and skinnier :). This never had a chance as proposed. Currently we already have a mid century classic on the site. My only fear is it will meet its demise with a new cookie cutter 180m characterless box.

Culture is constantly in a state of flux. What City Planning considers too dense very likely won't be considered too dense 20 years from now. The generation growing up today are far more comfortable with tall buildings; many actually admire them. The current staffers will eventually retire and people born in 2000 will take over. Toronto will get tall skinny buildings like this (300m, 400m, 500m) but it will take time.

The view that current ideas about density will remain the same is unrealistic not to mention a little naive. It's frustrating having to wait 20+ years for the culture to shift but it will happen.

Last edited:
With a 368m-tall straw man, Toronto would have the world's tallest statue, being twice as tall as the current tallest statue in the world, a statue of Gandhi in India.
...and a 368 m bird told me to kindly let this go. (More like bellowed at that size!)

Meanwhile and since you mentioned it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Unity

Culture is constantly in a state of flux. What City Planning considers too dense very likely won't be considered too dense 20 years from now. The generation growing up today are far more comfortable with tall buildings; many actually admire them. The current staffers will eventually retire and people born in 2000 will take over. Toronto will get tall skinny buildings like this (300m, 400m, 500m) but it will take time.

The view that current ideas about density will remain the same is unrealistic not to mention a little naive. It's frustrating having to wait 20+ years for the culture to shift but it will happen.

I'm not so sure I buy this "progress happens at one funeral at time" notion. I believe there are pretty strict rules of how things are built here...and in many ways that's likely a good thing. Either way though, I suspect the city will always have issues to what gets built here long after the current administrators are gone. Unless those rules are voted on to change, to be amended or the Province decides to interfere. /shrug

Back