Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why this development has gone from a proposal to a vision mode on Toronto's skyscraperpage ? Is this now a fantasy idea ?

I had a feeling this would catch your attention Koops! I was shocked to see it gone in the proposal category too since you basically create most of these renderings!

Patiently waiting for the site plan docs to be posted.
Here's a contextual overview of the area from the south. It'll certainly be the 111 West 57th Street of the skyline - even The One looks wide by comparison. I could see this one settling in around 300 metres (or *299).

49980677188_c00acc0cd3_k.jpg

I like the slim profile, it has potential. Love the height too. I doubt it will be approved unfortunately at this height, will probably get chopped to 270-280m. Then there's the entire debate as to whether it will ever get built regardless. If it does, this one is 10 years away. Oh well.....it's fun to dream!

docs are up. Very interesting (tiny) floor plates. Includes a restaurant at the top 3 floors with escalators between these floors. There's a pool on the 18th floor. The retail establishment will cross 3 floors (B1- 2), with a circular staircase inside.

Despite the dreaded 299m "curse"... still hope this "half pencil" hangs on to height. NYC has overdone the pencil, but just one in Toronto would be great, particularly in Bloor/Yorkville area. A nice exclamation mark on the area which is becoming a top ten North American skyline on its own. ;-)

From the shadow study, with respect to the discussion around height:

There is an incremental shadow impact on Yorkville Village Park from 9:18 AM to 12:18 PM. On March 21st / September 21st, there is a shadow on Jesse Ketchum park at 11:18 AM and a tiny sliver of shadow at 12.18 PM. However, by 1:18 PM this shadow is completely gone from the park.

While recognizing that the Downtown Supplementary Design Guidelines are guidelines only, it is of the opinion that the siting and design of the proposed tower satisfies the guideline direction to “best mitigate all new net shadowing” on Jesse Ketchum Park, School Playground and Open Space. If is of the opinion that the incremental shadow impacts created by the proposed tower would satisfy the Official Plan test of minimizing additional shadowing of neighbouring parks and would not negatively affect their utility.

Furthermore, the siting and massing of the proposed slender and elegant tower with a narrow floorplate and size of 680 square metres results in a fast-moving shadow that progresses quickly through the surrounding context, minimizing the amount of shadow cast in any singular area and limiting impacts on neighbouring streets and properties.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.32.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.32.34 AM.png

Also, restaurant:

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.41.36 AM.png

Also, no vehicular parking proposed. Love that.

Last edited:
The restaurant has a 875 Michigan Ave. (aka John Hancock Center) vibe with the multi-level restaurant. The tower is also at the northern end of the downtown skyline.

Back