Toronto 1128 Yonge | ?m | 5s | Urbacon | Lemay

Read my post again. This area would be mid-rise or higher if it WAS low-rent. North of Summerhill to St Clair is all mid or high rise. So is south of Rosedale Station. This area is low-rise exactly because of the rich folks in the area.

I apologize ; ) Though I'm not sure I completely follow, are you saying rich folks have the power to keep it low-rise whereas others don't ? Or simply given the richness of the area, it only can attract so much, so there isn't demand for anything but shorter buildings ?

The locals have the power to keep it low-rise. The TTC was planning to sell the land in front of Rosedale Station for development at one point and that was squashed due to community opposition. Plans for a high-rise where the LCBO is at Summerhill is was also stopped in a similar fashion. Lots of people with clout in the area.

What I've always wanted to see is the Staples Business Depot (@Marlborough) get a makeover. I like the detailing on those historic arches but any aesthetic appeal is ruined by the paint job and blank walls.

When I first moved to the city, this was still a CBC studio. Mr. Dressup and The National were shot there, before the Broadcast Centre opened downtown.

Plans for a high-rise where the LCBO is at Summerhill is was also stopped in a similar fashion.

Minor clarification, just in case anyone thinks that there had been plans to replace the Summerhil LCBO / North Toronto Railway station itself with a high-rise. The planned high-rise that was killed by the community opposition was to be south of the LCBO, between (behind) the 'Five Thieves' and the southern one of the two high rise condo towers. As Ed indicated - this immediate area is not a community to be messed with.

The locals have the power to keep it low-rise.

Or the desire. To that point, ever wonder why St. Clair Avenue between Bathurst and Avenue Road is not an "Avenue" in the Official Plan? Could it be that the Forest Hill Ratepayers since the 1950's have influenced their Councillors to keep the height limit (until recently) to essentially four stories?

Note also that Avenue Road is not an "Avenue" until it hits Lawrence.

OPUrbanStructure.jpg

Attachments

• OPUrbanStructure.jpg
    OPUrbanStructure.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,730
Last edited:
To be honest I like this area, I think the low-rise nature fits well, I don't have a problem with keeping things sub 6/7 stories here, but there are so many sites that should be redeveloped to the 6-7 story mark fronting Yonge.

Just off Yonge to the east / west are indeed low rise homes (very very nice ones at that ... from an architectural point of view that is) Chestnut Park for example, I actually love many of the west side streets, which tend to be smaller / closer homes.

If anyone hasn't walked along these streets they're doing them selves a disservice to say the least.

Or the desire. To that point, ever wonder why St. Clair Avenue between Bathurst and Avenue Road is not an "Avenue" in the Official Plan? Could it be that the Forest Hill Ratepayers since the 1950's have influenced their Councillors to keep the height limit (until recently) to essentially four stories?

I've been wondering about that. How have Zigg and The Code been able to proceed along St Clair considering this?

The Code went as far as the OMB where it was approved.

I think that Zigg is heading to the OMB, but I cannot find a reference to it on their site. Last reference to it on the City's website is from Oct 2013 authorizing solicitors to attend an OMB hearing on the City's behalf to oppose Zigg. However, that was based on a 13-storey version, and Zigg is now being marketed at 11 storeys, so maybe they have a tentative agreement with the City and no OMB hearing has been scheduled.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4W 2L8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 266875 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Dec 22, 2014

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a new 5 storey mixed use building with retail at grade, office spaces above, and 1 level below grade parking.

I have to say, I love this building.

I like that it uses red brick and connects with the buildings on the side to form a continuous street wall. It defines the corner well. It seems to help create a walkable street.

Even though it's context aware and fits in, it's still remains modern and doesn't seem to have any cheesy historical flourishes.

Also, I agree with taal that this area is really really nice.

One evening last week, a concrete mixer and a crane:

IMG_9568.jpg

Less mysterious: it was Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_9568.jpg
    IMG_9568.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 937

Back