Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

I think the roof top feature would have looked a whole lot better actually slanted.

Judging from this picture, it is slanted.

11828506123_94b83a9b3a_c.jpg

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadragebunny/11828506123/in/pool-blogto

the floating roof edge is at the same elevation all around the perimeter however the roof is sloping inwards to the holes. This feature is intended to prevent sheets of ice from sliding off the roof.

the floating roof edge is at the same elevation all around the perimeter however the roof is sloping inwards to the holes. This feature is intended to prevent sheets of ice from sliding off the roof.

Smart idea... whom ever thought of that really thought ahead...

It is, and they had major problems with wind loads on these towers. That long delay around this time last year was precisely because they had no idea how to get the wall to pass wind load inspection. I'm kind of curious if they ever actually resolved them or if everyone just agreed not to sue each other into oblivion over it.

Can't be more than living in a houseboat. Probably very relaxing.

I can't imagine it's very relaxing at 600 feet.

I've been in shorter buildings (38th floor) on a stormy day watching the chandelier sway back and forth and hearing creaking in the building.

Not a comfortable feeling.

It is, and they had major problems with wind loads on these towers. That long delay around this time last year was precisely because they had no idea how to get the wall to pass wind load inspection. I'm kind of curious if they ever actually resolved them or if everyone just agreed not to sue each other into oblivion over it.

I don’t recall any mention of a damping system in these towers – or did I miss something?

On another matter, who had the idea to put that exterior glass railing on the outside of the window wall system? That looks like a future maintenance disaster. How are window cleaners going to clean the windows behind that glass section or the inside of the glass section itself?

Back