News   Jul 09, 2024
 383     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 501     0 

Time for a tunnel to airport island?

If you tear down union and get rid of the trains, you could build an airport there which would remove many of the objections people have to closing the island airport. I'd much prefer the airport to be on Front Street.

If you tear down union and get rid of the trains, you could build an airport there which would remove many of the objections people have to closing the island airport. I'd much prefer the airport to be on Front Street.

We could use Yonge Street as a runway!

It's actually a cool building for when they eventually turn the Island into a park....though that's a long time off.

And it's for that reason that idiots like dt toronto geek should have their testicles ripped out of their body. Heritage philistinism like that is an insult to the anti-airport argument...

And it's for that reason that idiots like dt toronto geek should have their testicles ripped out of their body. Heritage philistinism like that is an insult to the anti-airport argument...

OK, I'll take one threat of battery (pardon the pun), I won't take two. If you want to debate the merits of the terminal I'm pleased to do so but I won't stand for your second childish threat or being called an idiot due to a blanket statement regarding a distant view if, ironically, a Toronto landmark is torn down.

Grow up dude.

technically testicles are already outside of the body.

OK, I'll take one threat of battery (pardon the pun), I won't take two. If you want to debate the merits of the terminal I'm pleased to do so but I won't stand for your second childish threat or being called an idiot due to a blanket statement regarding a distant view if, ironically, a Toronto landmark is torn down.

Grow up dude.

Personally, I feel that message-boarding mediocrities who use Edge-listener-ese terms like "dude" are blanket-deserving of testicles ripped out, but, anyhoo...

Okay, let's debate. And keep in mind that what the Parks Canada link I posted above contains something of a "heritage report" element; so essentially, it's enough to stop you dead in your tracks.

And also keep in mind that, arguably and with a bit of a creative-reuse vision, decommissioning the airport might be better for the old terminal and hangar buildings, which might otherwise be overwhelmed, overstressed, and endangered by the practicalities of a functioning airport.

So, given that, why would you still think this should be torn down?

2994851275_b1f9d3da02.jpg

You might as well claim that all 40s/50s air base physical-plant vestige at Downsview be torn down, too.

I've seen renderings of the new terminal with a 90% transparent 1939 terminal in front of it. The presenter also had a bit of a sly smile when asked about the future of the old terminal. So, take that for whatever you think its worth.

If you insist on continuing to insult me I will not respond to you again.

First, let's establish that I never suggested tearing down the the Terminal Building, I made a sarcastic comment on the appearance of the Island Airport as a whole from the mainland. Nothing more. So where did that come from?

Second, I plead ignorance to not knowing that the Terminal Building was designated a historical site. That said, I read and understand the significance of the building. The building itself is charming, but I don't see or feel anything much beyond that from the few photos I can find of the building. I haven't used the Island Airport since the late 80's when I flew in & out of there a few times on City Express and I can't say it left much of an impression on me. That said, no, I wouldn't want to see it torn down given it's status.

Finally, I stand corrected, the Terminal Building is not generally visible from most points along Queens Quay or more correctly, the water's edge to the east. It so happens I was down there today with a friend who hasn't been down to the area since the '90's so I grabbed a few shots.

From the waters edge by the Music Garden.

Ireland Park, in front of the Canada Malting Silos

Personally, I feel that message-boarding mediocrities who use Edge-listener-ese terms like "dude" are blanket-deserving of testicles ripped out, but, anyhoo...

Okay, let's debate. And keep in mind that what the Parks Canada link I posted above contains something of a "heritage report" element; so essentially, it's enough to stop you dead in your tracks.

And also keep in mind that, arguably and with a bit of a creative-reuse vision, decommissioning the airport might be better for the old terminal and hangar buildings, which might otherwise be overwhelmed, overstressed, and endangered by the practicalities of a functioning airport.

So, given that, why would you still think this should be torn down?

2994851275_b1f9d3da02.jpg

You might as well claim that all 40s/50s air base physical-plant vestige at Downsview be torn down, too.

Last edited:
The building is small enough to move and recycle as something else. It doesn't have to be destroyed to be replaced.

From those photos above, it looks like the new terminal is quite far along in its construction. I think it is going to look pretty good.

Back