News   Jul 09, 2024
 537     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 546     0 

Time for a tunnel to airport island?

This article from the Wall Street Journal in June indicates that Porter has made a serious dent into the Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal markets:

Canada's Business Travellers Choosing Porter Over Rivals

Cameron Doerksen, airline analyst at Versant Partners, recently estimated Porter now holds 24% of the Toronto-Ottawa market and 20% of the Toronto-Montreal market.

I have a suspicion that that includes a lot of the travelers that pay more than the cheapest available fare, in order to allow for changes to their schedule. They may get even more of those that were holding out because of their Maple Leaf Lounge access when they open the new Porter Lounge in Ottawa.

I'd certainly pay money to avoid Pearson. And when travelling on business it's easy to justify a higher fare, if it takes less time

I find I feel a lot happier and less stressed when I arrive in Ottawa if my journey does not involve going through Pearson. I save about $30-35 each way in cab fares as well.

I don't even remember the last time I flew with an airline other than Porter on the Toronto-Montreal route. It's either Via or Porter for me. Just renewed my Porter Pass today... :D

It looks like the city plans to raze the Canada Malting site.

Toronto scraps museum project, plans to raze site instead

The site, built in 1928 with additions in 1944, has significant structural defects, including unsafe marine legs and falling concrete. Public access to adjacent Ireland Park was restricted along its east side.

City staff considered five plans that ranged from complete preservation of the buildings at $20-million to total demolition at $7.6-million. Either way, the city must spend an extra $3.8-million to repair the east dock wall.

It seems to me that there could be an opportunity to combine this project with the tunnel project, perhaps having the tunnel come out where the silos are now, making it a little easier to access by pedestrians. It may leave room to have a long ramp, as well, to avoid having to funnel everyone through 3 busy elevators on the mainland side.

Perhaps there could be even more ambitious plans involving retail space.

EDIT: Looking at google maps, it looks like the silos are actually a little too far to the east to be part of the project, unless the plan was to provide pedestrian access to the airport along the east side of that quay.

At least razing the silos would help to remove the barrier between the airport and the rest of the waterfront.

Last edited:
At least razing the silos would help to remove the barrier between the airport and the rest of the waterfront.

Ya, a more beautiful panoramic view of the airport, runways, terminals and hangers from Queens Quay west.
Yay. :rolleyes:

Ya, a more beautiful panoramic view of the airport, runways, terminals and hangers from Queens Quay west.

I was thinking more along the lines of access to the airport, but I'm good with the panoramic view as well.

Yay. :rolleyes:

Not all of us, find airports to be unattractive. Speak for yourself.

Personally, I find many of those condos downtown, the Gardiner and the rail corridor far more visually offensive.

Personally, I find many of those condos downtown, the Gardiner and the rail corridor far more visually offensive.

I have taken many guests/visitors down to the water this year and everyone of them has commented on how cool it is to stroll/sit/eat/watch (ampitheatre) and have those neato porter planes soaring in and out as a backdrop!

Well I find the Island Airport unattractive and located in an inappropriate space so I did speak for myself and expressed my feelings on the issue.

I can't disagree with you on your second point though.

Is it the idea of a functioning airport you find unattractive, or the actual physical plant? Because the original terminal and hangars IMO merit retention...

For this location, both. I offered my opinions under the Porter Airlines thread way back when.

I find the Union train station visually unattractive and the trains serving it distracting. The time when Union was the gateway to the city has long past, let's tear the thing down!!!

(ok ok more sarcasm)

Back