805     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 615     0 

Tim Hortons billed as sponsor of anti-gay marriage event in USA; retracted

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://providencedailydose.com/2009/08/09/how-about-a-nice-cup-of-wtf/

National Organization for Marriage [sic] is throwing “Rhode Island’s First Annual†Celebrate Marriage & Family Day this coming Sunday 16th at Aldrich Mansion in Warwick, 3pm to 8pm. The event is “free and open to the public,†meaning that we’re all invited! So come on down! You can pay a modest fee for some hot food (some portion of which may or may not go to NOM/RI and their ongoing fight against the threat of marriage equality here and elsewhere).

You can pay a modest fee for some hot food (some portion of which may or may not go to NOM/RI and their ongoing fight against the threat of marriage equality here and elsewhere).

do they even know what they sound like?

Organizations like NOM never know what they sound like: they have their own little worlds that they operate within where everyone pats everyone else on they back when they utter anything, let alone just burp then release it to the press.

Organizations like NOM never know what they sound like: they have their own little worlds that they operate within where everyone pats everyone else on they back when they utter anything, let alone just burp then release it to the press.

they, along with other various religious groups are spending millions of dollars "to fight marriage equality" as they themselves say. instead of spending that money in trying to prevent people from dieing from starvation (like something jesus would have done), keeping two people of the same sex from getting married is a more important cause for these clowns. every dollar spent on fighting gay marriage is a dollar that could have prevented someone from dieing, not to mention all the wasted effort that could have been used elsewhere such as distributing food to the hungry.

these holier than thou fellows got their priorities fu<ked up.

I just called TH's customer relations department. They've already have had a number of calls and emails today about this, from what I was told, they're investigating the legitimacy of this. They promised a response.

My hope is that this is a local franchisee. I doubt that this is the kind of thing that head office supports - they are big on general "feel good" projects like kids sports, their camps, and the veterans and environment.

I'm sure this is just a local franchice, and the story is being overblown. My guess is that Tim Horton's is not going to be happy with the owner of that store.

Tim Hortons has officially retracted. The message on their website is very similar to those who contacted them by phone or email today.

Dear -------,

Thank you for contacting us at our Head Office in Oakville Ontario.

Recently, Tim Hortons was approached in Rhode Island to provide free coffee
and products for a local event, as we do thousands of times a year across
Canada and the United States.

For 45 years, Tim Hortons and its store owners have practiced a philosophy
of giving back to the communities in which we operate. As a company, our
primary focus is on helping children and supporting fund-raising events for
nonprofit organizations and registered charities.

For this reason, Tim Hortons has not sponsored those groups representing
religious groups, political affiliates or lobby groups.

It has come to our attention that the Rhode Island event organizer and
purpose of the event, fall outside of our sponsorship guidelines. As such,
Tim Hortons cannot provide support at the event.

Tim Hortons and its store owners have always welcomed all families and
communities to its restaurants and will continue to do so. We apologize for
any misunderstanding or inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,
The TDL Group Corp.,

--------
--------

It was the regional manager that approved it. They were asked to supply coffee. Makes me wonder if the regional manager even bothered to look into who he was supplying coffee for exactly.

I posted this as I am sure it would spur some discussion (and I am happy that it has).

There's a good reason to believe that whoever approved this did not know the details of the event. The event is called "Celebrate Marriage & Family Day", and it doesn't take a stretch to think that someone saw the word "family" and simply rubber-stamped the application.

It's good to see that Tim Hortons retracted their support for this event.

they, along with other various religious groups are spending millions of dollars "to fight marriage equality" as they themselves say.

Okay, folks. The organization obviously does not use that wording (nor would they use "[sic]" in their own documentation). That's a quote from the article I linked to, who put their own spin on the issue.

Okay, folks. The organization obviously does not use that wording (nor would they use "[sic]" in their own documentation). That's a quote from the article I linked to, who put their own spin on the issue.

oops. :eek: i guess i've become to expect such things. sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between satire and true fundamentalism.

that's still what they're doing though; fighting marriage equality.

Good for Tim Hortons.
Always good to see someone take a stand against the rights and wrongs of this twisted world.

Back