News   Aug 01, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 742     0 

The Weather

I love summer storms like this. Even as a kid, my parents had to pull me inside whenever I wanted to be out to watch the action.

Since I live and work downtown, I have to say that I saw no evidence whatsoever of a tornado. Once the rain starts coming down it's pretty hard to see any cloud detail at all.

Another good old-fashioned summer storm!

i was at the jays game tonight and listening to the storm inside the building was amazing. right in the middle of the game you would hear a BOOM and everyone would be quiet. cool experiance and storm.

I missed the entire thing. I was coming home from my baseball game that was cancelled due to lightning and was dropped off at Don Mills Station just before 7:00. Still no rain or anything, just some dark clouds and a bit of thunder/lightning in the distance. I get to Union Station at around 7:45 and go down to catch the street car only to hear water gushing from somewhere. Turns out water was pouring out of the ceiling above the tracks. The Streetcars weren't coming at all down there. So I decided to walk home from there cause it's only about 10 minutes. I get out of the skywalk and it's bright and no rain or anything. Go down to Lakeshore and Rees and there's a lake of water. Literally 6 inches deep in some spots. So I had to just suck it up and do my best triple jump across the road. Then i see 3 or 4 massive rainbows over the lake. But somehow i timed it perfectly to miss the entire storm.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/tornadoes-tear-through-ontario/article1259536/

DAMAGE AROUND THE GTA

Transit TTC

Flooding trapped streetcars on their tracks along Lake Shore Blvd. for up to 20 minutes.

Downsview subway station closed for 80 minutes.

Union Station tunnel flooding stalled streetcar routes 509 and 511.

Pearson International Airport

More than 40 flights were cancelled and 100 delayed.

Flooding

Localized flooding along Lake Shore slowed down traffic and transit.

Injuries

York police expected injuries after a funnel cloud hit Vaughan, Ont., tossing cars and damaging other property

Power

Outages were scattered in pockets throughout Toronto due to downed power lines. Blackouts left Toronto Hydro emergency workers scrambling.

Across Southern Ontario 63,000 Hydro One customers were still affected hours later. Walkerton and Owen Sound lost power first at 7 p.m., with outages north up to Muskoka, south past Guelph and 24,000 affected in Bowmanville and Peterborough.

"The City of Vaughan declared a state of emergency last night, which allows it to call in help from Emergency Management Ontario. The city said about 120 homes, mostly in its communities of Maple and Woodbridge, were damaged or destroyed. Some homes also were evacuated in Vaughan. Residents were able to go to the Father Ermanno Bulfon Community Centre on Martin Grove Road last night for shelter"

Weather summary for all of Southern Ontario and the National Capital
Region issued by Environment Canada Toronto at 8:00 PM EDT Friday 21
August 2009.

Summary of the tornado outbreak over Southern Ontario on August 20.
-------------------------------------------------------------
==weather event discussion==
A major severe weather outbreak on August 20 spawned numerous severe
thunderstorms across Southern Ontario including several tornadoes.
There was one fatality with the tornado in the south end of Durham.
The following is a list of tornadoes and associated damage by four
separate Environment Canada storm damage teams today (as received by
7 PM).

-------------------------------------------------------------
Date
Tornado location/path damage overview

Tornado 1 5 km sw of Durham to Markdale f2 tornado damage
(confirmed) (roughly 20 km) (significant house
+ trailer damage,
Trees down, etc)

Tornado 2 from's of Thornbury to the se f2 tornado damage
(confirmed) of Thornbury (path length (details unkown at
Uncertain at this time) this time)

Tornado 3 Woodbridge/Vaughan f2 tornado damage
(confirmed) (several km long (hundreds of homes
+ 50 metres wide) damaged, trees down,
Cars flipped, etc)

Tornado 4 Newmarket area f1 tornado damage
(confirmed) (hockey arena almost
Demolished)

Tornado 5 Powassan to North Bay (path waterspout/tornado
(probable) length unknown at this time) sightings (damage details
Uncertain at this time)

Tornado 6 Milton f1 damage
(possible) (some roof damage, etc)

This summary will be updated with the receipt of new updated
information.

Please note that this summary contains the observations at the time
of broadcast and does not constitute an official and final report of
the weather events or the high impact events attributed to the
weather events.

Vaughan and Durham could use a few more tornadoes I think.

A new low point on UT with such an insensitive and mindless comment.

Yeah the Grey County area is very beautiful especially the scenic caves and Blue Mountain.

Back