News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.3K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 583     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Haha! Many of those things you listed can also be seen as positives. Others don't apply because, that's right! The place isn't finished yet. Basically the whole list is a matter of opinion.

The place isn't meant to be scrutinized as an architectural gem. So statements like "Windows don't line up, Ad frames don't line up" makes me laugh. The place is supposed to be loud and fun. And to that end, it achieved its goal.

But hey, whatever makes you look cool and smart!

Yeah, and you can say the same about this...

This project is a disaster. It's unbelievable that some people even try to defend it. This 'settle-for-mediocrity' attitude is the reason why Toronto will never be at the same level as other alpha-cities like New York, Sydney, Chicago, Barcelona, etc. Those cities have visionaries, bold attitude, something that Toronto just doesn't have

This is why Toronto's lake front is what it is, why Maple Leafs will never win another one. WE SETTLE FOR MEDIOCRITY, that's a FACT

Metroman, interesting theory. Sir Novelty Fashion, you have provided an excellent and well reasoned critique of this mess. For those who want the attitude of 'don't worry, be happy' for every project in the city, and do not want to see any critical thought, may I suggest another board. I love the fact that many on this board do not blindly accept every development and proposal with an uncritical eye.

I am curious as to whether this building can sustain all the food businesses. With Ryerson out for the summer, there will certainly be less demand for the various small food outlets (in the basement and in the foodcourt). There is also not a lot of natually occuring traffic in this building during a weekday and I wonder if the smaller food outlets will get enough business. There isn't really isn't a mall with enough critical mass to bring natural traffic to this building.

And is there enough population for all the sitdown restaurants (Milestones, Johnny Rockets, Jack Asters, etc)? Unlike the Pickle Barrel across the street, most of these restaurants have to not only get people in the doors, but up numerous escalators (and past a food court with cheaper options). And they are all competing with each other for the same audience. And there are no office workers 'coming downstairs' to grab a bite to eat (these office workers sustain nearly all of the non-mall food outlets in the core during the weekday).

It will also be interesting if Ryerson students end up treating the food court (if they come at all) as a student cafe, and all that entails (doing homework and lingering around talking to friends). Will mall security keep students from lingering and will that cause resentment (and therefore non-use) among students?

There are many 'only time will tell' and minefield issues with regard to this project. It will be interesting to watch.

This project is a disaster. It's unbelievable that some people even try to defend it. This 'settle-for-mediocrity' attitude is the reason why Toronto will never be at the same level as other alpha-cities like New York, Sydney, Chicago, Barcelona, etc. Those cities have visionaries, bold attitude, something that Toronto just doesn't have

This is why Toronto's lake front is what it is, why Maple Leafs will never win another one. WE SETTLE FOR MEDIOCRITY, that's a FACT

Toronto is not a world class city because of what we've built. That probably goes without saying. - We have achieved our status on the world stage by virtue of "who we are" and "what we represent" for a world that seems bogged down with inter-ethnic and inter-racial strife.

with inter-ethnic and inter-racial strife.

I don't know the declining areas on the borders of Toronto foreshadow a dangerous future...

I don't know the declining areas on the borders of Toronto foreshadow a dangerous future...

Whatever happens in the future, trust me it won't be as bad as what happened in Toronto in the early 1990's. ( you are probably too young to remember those days.. but trust me it was bad.)

Anyways...

I was making the point, that TLS, ugly and mish-mash as it is, kinda represents what Toronto is about. If that means mediority, or doing things half assed. Then, I guess that's what we are all about, and made real in a building at the corner of Yonge and Dundas.

The fact of the matter is that those of us who are critical of the building are stuck with it - be it clad in American gray, British grey or Canadian post-winter bleh. You can find satisfaction in the idea that while we don't like it, the structure will not be going away any time soon.

And this quote (above), is the truth. The fact remains, the building is here to stay. Accept it. If "Grey" had invested as much time in commending/offering solutions to TLS rather than criticizing, perhaps, the mediocrity so many claim this city is famous for, would be a thing of the past. No city has ever advanced past mediocrity without solid suggestions and fair solutions. I would challenge everyone to balance their argument with solutions/suggestions. Then, the corporations, and the relevant parties who read this forum, could have something concrete to work with and move forward to improve Toronto.

As for the Fox News inferrence above - being overwhelmingly negative is often equated with being biased, interesting conclusion as it relates to those here.

Whatever happens in the future, trust me it won't be as bad as what happened in Toronto in the early 1990's. ( you are probably too young to remember those days.. but trust me it was bad.)

Can you please explain??? I have always heard people saying this.

I remember now...

There was a huge controversy over the treatment of black people by the police and there was a riot as well over that.

A common theme seems to be that Toronto is all about mediocrity. I don't agree, I think Toronto is a great city in its own respects and should not be compared to other cities.

You all remind me of Beavis and Butthead sittin around and dissecting music videos. "Huh huh huh Look Beavis, those ad frames don't line up. Dumbass!" At least Beavis and Butthead don't make any pretensions about what a GREAT social service they're doing by their negative trashing. Because being negative on messageboards is fun and cool and changes the world!

Please.

went by today and Adidas has their Grand Opening tomorrow May 2 @ 10:00am . Wonder if they will be giving free stuff away?:)

You all remind me of Beavis and Butthead sittin around and dissecting music videos. "Huh huh huh Look Beavis, those ad frames don't line up. Dumbass!" At least Beavis and Butthead don't make any pretensions about what a GREAT social service they're doing by their negative trashing. Because being negative on messageboards is fun and cool and changes the world!

Please.
I don't think you belong here. Not trying to be mean or anything; I just don't think this is the place for you.

I noticed that Sears has completely torn out their Adidas section and replaced it with something even less interesting. The new stripes actually look pretty cool. It distracts from the building's terrible awning. I hope we can get a good shot of them lit up at night.

Poor OnceAThief; dare he ever be negative on this board. The ton of bricks that will fall shall be heavy.

But then his negative attitude towards those being critical is, in itself, a form of negativity, ain't it?

A common theme seems to be that Toronto is all about mediocrity. I don't agree, I think Toronto is a great city in its own respects and should not be compared to other cities.

I really like OnceAThief's idea about not comparing Toronto to other cities. Taken to the logical extreme, we shouldn't be comparing anything to anything - we'd all be much happier I'm sure, just accepting whatever anyone cares to foist upon us.

Of course there won't be much to talk about anymore, so I'll talk to the other Mods about closing urbantoronto.ca, and my local city councillor about canning the City's planning department too, and that silly design review panel, etc.

Well, I'm heading up to Vaughan to take in some be-ootyful industrial suburbs.

Back