News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 949     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It looks really great. I agree about the ugly Ryerson parking garage part though. Can someone put a sheet of glass or chain metal to cover it?;)

Also, regarding Future Shop. Remember that Best Buy had already announced its intention of entering Canada (and competing against Future Shop). So Future Shop was just trying to build up its arsenal, similar to Loblaws/RCSS and Wal-Mart Supercentre, or Home Depot (and Rona) are with Lowe's.

Yeah that's Best Buy's strategy to increase their dominance on the electronics retail market: to pair their sister store (Future Shop) with a Best Buy. Their market research indicated customers like to comparison shop--so why not build both big box outlets nearby to wipe out small time indie competition (what competition?)

I still think the metropolis was a 1990's toronto concept that now seems outmoded; a condo+retail complex would have been more appropriate: a kind of dumbed-down Festival Centre or even a sexier modern take on Manulife Centre.

There's always hope for the next generation of downtowners: the 2050's set;)

Update from the PCL Website, from a couple of weeks ago.....looks like the hoarding on Dundas will start to come down effective Jun 3.....

As of April/07):

· Yonge St. hoarding removal 80% complete

· Dundas St. hoarding removal to start June 3, 2007

· Hoist removed April 30, 2007

· Elevator SE1 in operation

· Power on late April 2007:

· All below grade escalators commissioned and ready for TSSA inspections

· Security rough-in ongoing - door/frame/hardware continuing

· Commissioning of escalators 1, 2, and 4 complete. Escalator 3 in the process of commissioning

· Glazing on Yonge/Dundas St. L1 (storefronts) and back pans and seals in progress

· Stair #6 complete and stair # 7 glazing is in progress

· Siding continuing along Victoria St.

· All main concrete pours complete

· Firespray on-going to theatres/AMC areas

· Roofing cap on-going - main roofs complete

· AMC L4 ceiling framing and GWB in progress

· AMC theatres progressing with studs, GWB, and M&E rough-in

· Ground floor/L2 CRUs continuing to board and complete work

· O’Keefe landscaping in progress

· Doors, frames and hardware continuing

· Base building walls /shaft is starting

O'Keefe Lane is the name of the back alley here. (The O'Keefe Brewery used to sit here, remember.)

I was @ Life Square this morning and I'm surprised I'm saying it, but it's looking much better than my best expectations.

The matte grey cladding suits the building very well and there is an extensive use of a very reflective glass which will be perfect for when all the lights in the square will be glittering off of it.

The Victoria side is also better than I expected and will result in a harmless façade rather than a striking one. The same could be said for Gould.

The only concern is the highest floors along Yonge St which if viewed from Elm St. shows a large expanse of corrugated aluminum walls looming over HMV.

On the bright side, according to the rendering, these walls will receive lit signs of the stores in Toronto Life Square so they'll probably be livened up.

The square itself was very lively. I could already feel the canyon effect now that the structure of Toronto Life Square is set in the north.

I'm looking forward to mid summer when all the signs are up and the lights glittering all over.

Btw, I've started calling it Life Square and my circle of friends are apparently doing the same. Toronto Life baited themselves a big fish here.. whoever thought of getting naming rights for this should get a raise.

It's hard to make a call before it's completed and before signage goes up but in my opinion both the Yonge and Dundas sides pretty much meet my expectations so far - which is good. Victoria Street has become a pleasant surprise.

It will be interesting to see how "City Cinema's Futuristic Flicks" comes off at Yonge-Dundas Square in July & August with all the extra lighting from Toronto Life Square

3 pics posted by VikkyD over at SSC.....note the "fins" along the top of the Victoria St. facade....

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

DSC01821.jpg

edit...don't know why the images are showing as link only...

Back