News   Jun 25, 2024
 536     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 633     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It's not as bad as some of you make it out to be. The tenants are damn fine, the complex just needs to be opened up to the street more. They aren't going to tear down the building anytime soon, also considering it brings advertising revenue as well from the billboards.

It is that bad. One area where this building succeeds is how it animates Yonge and Dundas Streets at street level, and the patios above. Doing a deal with Cineplex and Ryerson, picking up the Empress site and starting over would be the best thing that could happen to this block. Rebuild with parking below and subway access, retail, cinemas, office space or Ryerson facilities then hotel and/or condo above.

Haha it took forever to build it...now you want it torn down to start over again? I guess I like it because it serves my shopping needs and it's a great meeting point in the winter.

It took forever to build because it was in the hands of an incompetent developer. PenEquity rushed to tear down the block without having secured contracts and financing so the infamous blue hoarding stayed up for years before there was any activity. A well planned project could demolish the existing building and build a new one over a year or less. A commercial podium could be open within less than a year while the tower continues to be built above. It would take some serious negotiating with the lead tenants, specially Cineplex, but it could be done.

The building is that bad. It's not just that it's unfinished, its layout is mostly unworkable, the internal flow is terrible because they built it around the garage. Ideally it would be torn down and the entire block redeveloped.

It took forever to build because it was in the hands of an incompetent developer. PenEquity rushed to tear down the block without having secured contracts and financing so the infamous blue hoarding stayed up for years before there was any activity. A well planned project could demolish the existing building and build a new one over a year or less. A commercial podium could be open within less than a year while the tower continues to be built above. It would take some serious negotiating with the lead tenants, specially Cineplex, but it could be done.

The building is that bad. It's not just that it's unfinished, its layout is mostly unworkable, the internal flow is terrible because they built it around the garage. Ideally it would be torn down and the entire block redeveloped.

But 10 Dundas is a successful establishment, so they won't tear it down. It may not be viewed as successful from an urban development enthusiast, but the tenants themselves do well. I don't think Torontonians care about the "infrastructure" of the building. It has the tentants and serves the area well.

Ryerson students crowd the Cineplex during the morning for classes and fill up the food court during the afternoon (sometimes I can't even find a seat). The Cineplex obviously does well during the evening. Milestones, Jack Astors, and Spring Sushi get a lot of traffic. And the Shoppers downstairs does fine. If business is successful at 10 Dundas, there is no reason for them to tear it down.

But 10 Dundas is a successful establishment, so they won't tear it down. It may not be viewed as successful from an urban development enthusiast, but the tenants themselves do well. I don't think Torontonians care about the "infrastructure" of the building. It has the tentants and serves the area well.

Ryerson students crowd the Cineplex during the morning for classes and fill up the food court during the afternoon (sometimes I can't even find a seat). The Cineplex obviously does well during the evening. Milestones, Jack Astors, and Spring Sushi get a lot of traffic. And the Shoppers downstairs does fine. If business is successful at 10 Dundas, there is no reason for them to tear it down.
Some​ tenants do well. Many have closed up and moved on.

Revenue per square footage is far below what PenEquity had projected. It's doing fine but it's not performing to its expectations for none of the tenants. The movie theatre should by all means be a flagship location with one of the best performing theatre complexes in the country given the location. It's not even close.

Through their incompetence, PenEquity lost anchor tenants Disney and Virgin and only kept FutureShop and AMC from the original plan.

Recladding the exterior and refini... no, finishing the interior will help but the difficult layout will always be confusing to customers and limiting to tenants. I imagine that the short term plan is to fix as much can be fixed but when leases are over, there's so much more revenue potential here than has been explored, that the property owner would have to be irresponsible to its shareholders to sit on it as it is. This location calls for a high earning hotel + busy movie complex + profitable food and entertainment businesses.

Good points, Pedro. PenEquity's lack of vision at developing this complex has left us with a perpetually underperforming mall with layout discordance and marketability limitations. With interior design initiatives becoming increasingly important and competitive, they have completely failed to deliver a retail experience of any quality. Although I believe it may not happen for some time, combining all properties on this block for a fresh start is what is needed. Something like Hysan Place would be great.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 193489 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2013

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alerations to existing mall unit (# B104) for take-out restaurant on concourse level (Tim Hortons) - no seats

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 193489 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2013

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alerations to existing mall unit (# B104) for take-out restaurant on concourse level (Tim Hortons) - no seats

That Tim Hortons has been dying for a renovation. It's unbelievable how busy it gets during peak hours during the Ryerson school year. They should be reducing the amount of seating and add a designated lineup area. It's more of a grab and go location more than anything.

I'm pretty sure this is the addition of a second Tim Hortons in the complex, not the renovation of the first. It appears that this one will be across from the Beer Store at subway level.

This property will be doing some upgrades to the facade, as well as creating a new animated entrance canopy. Improvements look decent.
I cannot post anything, but the rendering I was shown had glazing replacing a lot of the aluminum siding, in particular removing the "fans" , it also had a rounded canopy that extended over Dundas, It looked like it had a video screen and or was LED with CINIPLEX CINEMAS in channel lettering above it (it had a very marquee look to it) and the installation of LED lighting to the existing canopies.

Any word on when this is happening, or are the plans for this dead?

I would like to see it reworked so there is an entrance right at the corner of Dundas and Yonge, and a diagonal corridor with clear sight lines and simpler layout. Why would they put an apparel store (adidas?) right at the corner, when an entrance there would draw people inside much better? I think that the developer across the street plans something like this to open up the corner and bring people inside.

I don't mind it.. I mean it isn't an architectural masterpiece, but it isn't horrible or anything.. it gets the job done just fine.

Back