News   May 01, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 329     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 357     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
This property will be doing some upgrades to the facade, as well as creating a new animated entrance canopy. Improvements look decent.

Do you know when this will hapen ?

Just tear the whole block down and start fresh. Just put the parking underground.

Doing this will allow TTC to have a north entrance to Ryerson, as well having a wider platform and more exits.

At least this could be done in 5 years compare to the 15 years that it took to built this joker.

Not that it is likely to happen in the short term, but to make it viable, perhaps they should allow a tower (office/residential?) of substantial height to be built.

AoD

Not that it is likely to happen in the short term, but to make it viable, perhaps they should allow a tower (office/residential?) of substantial height to be built.

AoD

A nice 6-10 storey podium with a north and south tower that are set back from the street edge. They are already proposing a north tower and this could be phase 1.

If Ryerson was smart, they would take 4-6 floors of the podium as well 15-20 floors of the north tower. They could use more for students residents in both towers.

AoD

this is a perfect location for another 60s+ tower, with both office and hotel/residential units.
So is the spot on the west side.

It will look nice and add much density combined with Massey, the proposed Victoria st condo, and Aura further north.
Dundas Square area is so freakin short.

I said the same thing way back, this being a great location for a highrise above of condos, hotel or a mix. But let's face it, this was a less than ambitious project from a less than competent developer.

I hate Metropolis as much as the next guy but let's not waste our fixation as any serious redevelopment conceptions will not happen for decades (or more). Gradual reno improvements to help remedy the disastrous in/exteriors should be expected though. Instead we should shift our focus towards the redevelopment of the Empress site, and how that will (hopefully) enhance the urbanism of the city core.

Last edited:
Does it really matter what happens in this shite square? It has to be one of the tackiest, ugliest, most contrived urban spaces anywhere in the world. It's so bloody depressing that nothing can really make it any better or worse.

You do have a point but there is still lots of room for improvement. There are lots of ways to make this at least bearable, which right now, it is not. I hate even walking past this ugly thing, let alone, going inside. I walk by this building probably 6 or more times a week and yet I haven't been inside here in about a year. If it wasn't so depressingly ugly and boring, maybe I'd go in once in a while.

Metropolis is the problem. It's so bad even Toronto Life didn't want their name on it. This building is lucky it has the advertising, at least it distracts you from the grey, ugly building. Let's hope the new owners make some serious improvements, inside and out. At least they can finish the damned ceilings in the mall.

This is a very messy situation. Long term leases ensure that unless some miraculous kumbaya moment happens amongst all the stakeholders, this building cannot be razed and restarted as it should be.

What gives me some semblance of hope is that:

A) PenEquity is out of the picture. The extraordinarily incompetent developer can no longer influence the fortunes of this property. It's in much better hands today.

B) This location has so much more revenue potential than is being exploited and everybody knows it.

C) Let's look at the anchor tenants:

- FutureShop. They signed the second longest lease next to AMC (now Cineplex). However, BestBuy and FutureShop are canibalizing each other and so I wonder how long before Best Buy decides to consolidate its properties under a single banner. The Best Buy in the Eaton Centre is the bigger store, likely to be selected to be kept.

- Adidas, Extreme Fitness, Milestones, Jack Astors and Shoppers Drug Mart are major tenants but have limited leases from what I recall. They can be bought out of their contracts that have less than 10 years remaining.

- AMC signed the longest lease (30 years) for clear reasons related to their large investment. This lease was acquired by Cineplex and they're the major hurdle to demolition of this property. If I were them, I'd keep this location over Scotiabank Theatre if it was determined that both theatres are too close to one another. Can the developers convince Cineplex to give up this location for 2 to 3 years in a transition to a much better complex?

- Ryerson. They're expanding aggressively and their equity on this property is locked in a share of a parking garage and a book store. It's less than an ideal use and I think Ryerson would be all ears for a deal. A shared multi level underground parkade in the new building and a land transfer to accommodate Ryerson would be necessary. Perhaps the complex wouldn't have to be built as far back as Gould and Ryerson could acquire the Empress hotel property to build something from Yonge to Victoria, creating a real entrance gateway when pairing with the Student Learning Centre.

Something like Aura would work really well here. A 5 to 8 story podium with a major movie theatre complex, restaurants, bars and other entertainment (i.e. a bowling alley). Plenty of opportunities for patios overlooking the square by using setbacks should be considered. Above, a hotel tower + condos would finance the whole thing and justify demolishing a 5 year old building. Money talks and there's a lot of reason for the developers to be starting a conversation in this booming part of the city.

Last edited:
I can't at anybody thinking they are going to think about tearing it down. It's not as bad as some of you make it out to be. The tenants are damn fine, the complex just needs to be opened up to the street more. They aren't going to tear down the building anytime soon, also considering it brings advertising revenue as well from the billboards.

Haha it took forever to build it...now you want it torn down to start over again? I guess I like it because it serves my shopping needs and it's a great meeting point in the winter.

Back