News   Jul 08, 2024
 387     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The thing that really scares me though is the notion of TIFF here and what this heap of crap coveys about Toronto to the rest of the world. Oh well we can always pray for arson.

What a great point, why didn't I ever think of that. How embarrassing.

I haven't been to the theatre, but I have been in a number of times to go to Future Shop. The complex always seems busy. The design is terrible though...it could be so much better.

Unfortunately with its location I can't see it failing anytime soon.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what is happening with the finishes to this building, the Toronto Life signage for example and some of the other doodads? Have they been dropped from the plan? What's with the delay??

As the self-described purveyor of Toronto cosmopolitanism, I'm not surprised Toronto Life would be reluctant to place their name on this atrocity.

I can't imagine Toronto Life wanting to put their name on this and have any association with it what-so-ever. I'm sure they are trying to get out of the deal or at least having second thoughts about it. (Obviously, the sign hasn't gone up) With all the bad word of mouth this shed gets, can you blame them? You have to look high and low to find anyone who actually likes this place.

When I have friends visit from out of town, (especially Montrealers) I try to keep them out of this building, it's just too embarrassing to explain. My Montreal friends seem to love to point out the fact that Toronto has no style or class, and this place just feeds their fire. Pride weekend, I plan to keep them in the village, where they belong. (far away from this disaster)

and of course was the millionth person to arrive on the foodcourt level coming down the escalator from AMC and then being completely lost as to where the down escalator was from there.

As much as I hate this building in every possible way, I have to admit I find that whole setup very amusing.

From a marketing standpoint perhaps it serves a purpose. People will be forced to walk endlessly around the foodcourt until they finally give up and just order something.

Last edited:
When I have friends visit from out of town, (especially Montrealers) I try to keep them out of this building, it's just too embarrassing to explain. My Montreal friends seem to love to point out the fact that Toronto has no style or class, and this place just feeds their fire. Pride weekend, I plan to keep them in the village, where they belong. (far away from this disaster)

If you find in the future you need to take your Montreal friends here for something, you can relax about their barbs: in Montreal AMC rebuilt the Forum (I think with Pen Equity again), and it is easily as big an atrocity as this, if not more. Yes, possibly even more.

I haven't been to the theatre, but I have been in a number of times to go to Future Shop. The complex always seems busy. The design is terrible though...it could be so much better.

Unfortunately with its location I can't see it failing anytime soon.

The cinemas are really great, among the best in the city.

I haven't been in a while, but I still think that while it's disappointing on the inside, it's functional and I like the theatres and restaurants there.

I can't imagine Toronto Life wanting to put their name on this and have any association with it what-so-ever. I'm sure they are trying to get out of the deal or at least having second thoughts about it. (Obviously, the sign hasn't gone up) With all the bad word of mouth this shed gets, can you blame them? You have to look high and low to find anyone who actually likes this place.

How is it they didn't know what they were getting into? Finishing details aside the project is what it was advertised from the beginning. Further Toronto Life bought the naming rights after the project was nearing completion. Something doesn't add up here. Could it be as simple as misjudging how urbane Torontonians would judge this project?

How is it they didn't know what they were getting into? Finishing details aside the project is what it was advertised from the beginning. Further Toronto Life bought the naming rights after the project was nearing completion. Something doesn't add up here. Could it be as simple as misjudging how urbane Torontonians would judge this project?

If you look at the renderings, video renderings, etc. you would have thought of this project very differently.

PenEquity no doubt showed their best renderings and sold Toronto Life on the coup they would get by the good possibility that "Toronto Life Square" would catch on to describe the entire area, like The NY Times did for Times Square.

Like Times Square though, I predicted that people would drop "Toronto" from the title because from people's perception of the name, being in Toronto would cause the city's name to become redundant.

A quick search on Flickr for the tag "Life Square" brings up many photos of the square itself (example).

I think Toronto Life may be having second thoughts or simply are affected by the overall publishing crisis going on now and don't have the on hand cash to put up the sign.

If you look at the renderings, video renderings, etc. you would have thought of this project very differently.

PenEquity no doubt showed their best renderings and sold Toronto Life on the coup they would get by the good possibility that "Toronto Life Square" would catch on to describe the entire area, like The NY Times did for Times Square.

Like Times Square though, I predicted that people would drop "Toronto" from the title because from people's perception of the name, being in Toronto would cause the city's name to become redundant.

A quick search on Flickr for the tag "Life Square" brings up many photos of the square itself (example).

Let's look at a search on Flickr for the tag Life Square, and a tag for Toronto life Square.

Toronto Life Square has 110 uploads vs Life Square with 13. So, I'm not so sure about your theory.

I totally get all the criticism this building gets, but I still maintain there's something stupidly appealing about it in a totally adolescent kind of way. Like, if I were 7-years-old I'd think this place is so cool. You get to go up like forty escalators and there's a giant Future Shop and a movie theatre at the top. That's awesome.

Let's look at a search on Flickr for the tag Life Square, and a tag for Toronto life Square.

Toronto Life Square has 110 uploads vs Life Square with 13. So, I'm not so sure about your theory.

I'm waiting for the signs to go up for the theory to take full effect. People will see these big signs facing them saying "Toronto Life Square". There doesn't seem to be a Yonge Dundas Square sign anywhere.

Once the name becomes ingrained, it will be natural for locals to drop the "Toronto".

I think people won't associate the "Toronto Life" part to the magazine. I think they'll see "Toronto Life Square" (Life Square in Toronto). I for one didn't know that Times Square got its name from the publishing company until I looked it up.

Currently, my non urban geek friends don't know where or what Toronto Life Square is. I have to say the "AMC across from the Eaton Centre".

Back