News   Jul 17, 2024
 276     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 479     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The building isn't great. But it serves it's purpose.

Pretty soon, I'll be drop kicking fools to make room on the sidewalk for myself.

Anyways.........

To say that a building can be horrible architecture because of its purpose, is never a fair point.

I just wish this space was something I could feel proud of. Something that wasn't such an obvious knock off. (I know, I know this is an old argument that I haven't gotten past yet).

It serves a purpose and I'm sure that it will be relatively successful but I'm unclear of how an architectural focus could be deemed "unworthy".

Its funny, but I was in Vaughan Mills the other week and the fit, finish and aesthetics of the interior of the 'discount', 'low-end' mall was actually miles ahead of this building (which prides itself on its 'prime' location and 'spectacle').

It is an amazing feat to be able to give the impression that one is in the basement mechanical room, no matter what interior floor or area of the building you happen to be in!

To mix this purpose with an outstanding architectual focus would be confusing and unworthy.
Absolutely incorrect. There is no excuse for bad architecture.

Would you really want advertising of this nature on beautiful award winning architectual buildings? I doubt it.
The choice was not architecturally beautiful building or corregated aluminum slab. TLS isn't just "not beautiful." It's not even plain. It's overtly poor design, and the trainwreck interior is ample evidence of that.

Also, I think your argument must be based solely on the Yonge & Dundas face of TLS. What's your excuse for the corner of Victoria and Gould, or the entire east and west sides?

What kind of development were you expecting of Toronto Life Square?

Something more impressive than a giant backyard shed.

In Times Square for example, can you recount the beautiful architectual buildings? No. Times Square is an attraction because of the advertising showcased. The buildings are hidden, passe and an after-thought. The true architectual wonders are found throughout NYC away from Times Square. It makes sense.

I know that people call this place Toronto's Times Square, and yes, it's the closest thing we have to it, but in truth the two are very different. Times Square is several blocks long and has dozens of buildings of different ages and sizes fronting it, so it's hard to make generalizations about the totality of the place that holds true to so many of its individual buildings. Yes, many of Times Square's buildings are hidden (to a great degree, but not entirely) by advertising, but often its far more imaginative and well-thought out. The only thing that approaches the quality level of TS's better stuff is TLS's curved screen and its surrounding screenlets (the placement of which has been the source of some consternation on the part of several Forum members - why the big gap on the right?). Meanwhile, there are a number of interesting buildings along Times Square that are well designed and executed, in amongst others that are shabby and shabbier. In the end, Times Square is SO BIG, with SO MUCH to look at that one never really sees the buildings, not because they're completely or partially hidden, but because there is so much else to look at that's throbbing and glowing and flashing.

Finally, if one were to look at TLS the way that much of TS is looked at - at some distance - then the best view of TLS would be from the other side of Yonge, at about Shuter Street. From that distance one does not see TLS's tin-shed corrugated cladding - one only sees the ads.

The point here, is that Toronto Life Square was never built to be iconic or architectually award-winning. It was built to lure audiences for a gathering place, to congregate, to see big city life of signs and buzz.

While I cannot see those two goals as mutually exclusive ones, you seem to believe that the pursuit of big city life, signs and buzz obviates any need for architectural striving. Why can't big city life, signs and buzz be achieved from a structure that shows some signs of intelligent thought behind it? It's a wonder that PenEck managed to keep the backlit signs from overlapping each other on this monster.

The meeting place provides an outlook for activity and visual expression - the purpose of Toronto Life Square, just like Times Square. To mix this purpose with an outstanding architectural focus would be confusing and unworthy. Would you really want advertising of this nature on beautiful award winning architectual buildings? I doubt it.

Hmm. Suffice it to say that the reasoning in that paragraph doesn't necessarily follow. Grey says it well above.

So Interchange 42 (why 42?),

(a number of reason)s

perhaps your expectations of Toronto Life Square were destined for failure from the beginning: the elected city council vision and purpose of the TLS was different from yours.

Well, you're right about my expectations, but wrong about why. Why has nothing to do with elected city council vision, of which there is little, as at the time this project began its clunking churn into existence there was no architectural review panel around to protect us from stuff like this. The fault here lies squarely with Pen Equity who first dumbed-down the Olympic Spirit centre with embarrassingly cheap materials and forms compared to what their renderings had promised us, and then went on to do the same with TLS. It's a process we call The Cheapeningâ„¢ around here. As it turned out I should never have dared to hope that TLS would end up any better than Olympic Spirit, but my optimism checked my cynicism at the time.

In retrospect, TLS is one place, we have the whole city for architectural masterpieces. Maybe we'll see Interchange 42 at the forefront of the activity.

Wha? Huh? Wait - you're right, I should get my own development company going and shut up about the other travesties around town. Of course if I stop writing editorial on the forum, you should too, and so should everyone else.

"In the end, Times Square is SO BIG, with SO MUCH to look at that one never really sees the buildings, not because they're completely or partially hidden, but because there is so much else to look at that's throbbing and glowing and flashing."

This is my point exactly. Why waste substantial funds on a building that will be covered anyways? Why not fuel it towards something else like AGO, Opera House, etc.? The memory of beautiful buildings in Times Square is virtually nill compared to the memory of the advertising signs there.

"Why can't big city life, signs and buzz be achieved from a structure that shows some signs of intelligent thought behind it?"

But what is the point of 'signs of intelligent' when you cannot see it anyways because of advertising? Again, it reiterates my point.

"Hmm. Suffice it to say that the reasoning in that paragraph doesn't necessarily follow. Grey says it well above."

I don't recall most buildings being visually appealing on all sides. Isn't the front of any short office/commercial building the most photographed? Isn't the best side of the Opera House the front? ...same for Royal ON Museum?

"It's a process we call The Cheapeningâ„¢ around here. As it turned out I should never have dared to hope that TLS would end up any better than Olympic Spirit, but my optimism checked my cynicism at the time."

Perhaps your suggested solution of an architectual review panel would solve this.

"Wha? Huh? Wait - you're right, I should get my own development company going and shut up about the other travesties around town."

I encourage you to speak with developers directly, city council and following your own advice of starting up a new company. Our economy could use it. Why just talk right?

This is my point exactly. Why waste substantial funds on a building that will be covered anyways? Why not fuel it towards something else like AGO, Opera House, etc.?

Huh? Money spent on TLS is not being diverted from the AGO or any other cultural institution.

You don't think that's a fair point? Especially when you consider the building will be covered in advertising. -

Where is the stand out architecture in Times Square?

POINTZ:

1. It's not going to be completely covered.
2. What it's been covered with has been relatively 'blah' so far.
3. I don't remember seeing any tin cans in New York's Times Square. The architecture may not be spectacular but it's decent quality.

Is the Paramount building "hidden, passe and an after-thought"?

Of course, that may be lost on you, because you're a hack amateur dolt who frames things in terms of ooh-aah "beautiful architectural buildings" and "true architectural wonders"...

Of course the Paramount building is beautiful and intriguing. But is it prominent in Times Square? No. Absolutely not. By far, the advertising signs in the core of Times Square are still the focus and most photographed. This is my point. I bet if you did a survey people wouldn't even know that this building is part of Times Square...but they could tell you the Coca-Cola sign is...BINGO!

And for the record, your quotes are misquoted. Isn't that a bit amateurish? Let's stick to facts. Thanks.

Back