News   May 07, 2024
 119     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 237     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 650     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I went to Harvey's. The food court is quiet, but there's no visible notice that Harvey's (and the California Thai, and Subway) are open on the 3rd floor. Harvey's had a few customers already, but the other stalls were dead.

The food court seating is slightly more comfy than the average food court, and there's some soft seats next to the window looking out to Yonge. There's some track lighting that suggests it could be used for small shows or performances. The men's washroom is new and clean and fine, except everything's touch - the flushes, the taps, the hand dryers, but at least there's the option of paper towels.

I'm sure it will do well once Ryerson is back in session.

Then use a paper towel to turn off the tap and to open the door to exit. Studies have shown that the three most bacteria-laden surfaces are:
Bedspread covers in Hotel Rooms!
The taps in Men's Restrooms!
The door handles in Men's Restrooms! :(
That's why when I am downtown, I use the facilities at the Commerce Court Food Court. Sensor taps and No doors!
I know! This was TOO much information!

Ryerson as well doesn't know how to install anything but hand-touch flushes, faucets and hand dryers, and they don't even offer paper towels. Even the new business building's men's washroom has three urinals, two toilets, two sinks and one crappy push-button dryer. Gross.

At least there's no doors to the TLS washrooms.

OTOH as it now stands, Dundas is a pretty pathetic excuse for a so-called downtown-epicentre subway station...
Well, it sure is better than not having one at all.
Also, King+Bay has a daily life cycle that mimics that of the surrounding towers in the financial district; pretty much dead after five.
Is that your intersection of choice for the heart of downtown Toronto?

You’re missing the point… you’re wasting your time trying to convince us that Yonge and Dundas is not in the “heart of downtown” when any other possible candidate is a short and quick 5 to 10-minute walk away.
On the other hand, Place Blanche, pretty much the only gaudy place in Paris – and for pretty good reasons – is a 20-minute metro ride away from anything that could be called “central.”

Originally Posted by carewser

As I recall, a few years ago the feds, the province and the city teamed up to improve Toronto's harbourfront so i'm not sure what the hell you're going on about.

Yes. The three levels of government have teamed up on paper perhaps, but what have they really accomplished since then? Nothing!
And the Portlands Energy Centre sure doesn't help either.

The food court level was opened up today with a handful of places operating. The seating area in the northwest corner is pretty cool, with upholstered chairs and low tables close up to the windows. As for the restaurants, other than the Harvey's (which had a lineup) none of them seemed to be getting much attention. The complex as a whole was actually busier than I've ever seen it, tho it still doesn't seem to have nearly enough traffic to support the businesses.

Ryerson as well doesn't know how to install anything but hand-touch flushes, faucets and hand dryers, and they don't even offer paper towels. Even the new business building's men's washroom has three urinals, two toilets, two sinks and one crappy push-button dryer. Gross.

At least there's no doors to the TLS washrooms.

The new planning building has automatic sinks and toilets/urinals.

Not sure if this is the right location for this.

http://www.marketingmag.ca/daily/20080512PM/national2.html
OBN repackages Dundas Square media tower

Toronto’s Outdoor Broadcast Network (OBN) has introduced new pricing and packaging for its 18-storey media tower in the city’s Dundas Square.

The new options let advertisers purchase the entire tower or certain sections, such as the top and left or right-hand side, for shorter periods. When the tower first opened in November 2004, OBN sought—and secured—three-year commitments for tower domination at an annual cost of $1.5 million. Bell Canada and L’Oréal Canada were among the charter advertisers.

According to OBN president Peter Irwin, the changes reflect the increase in ad inventory at Dundas Square created by the recent opening of Toronto Life Square—a retail, office and entertainment complex that also features advertising space.

“It’s a much more competitive environment and we’ve got to make this attractive to other advertisers,†he says. “And we have to be mindful of the current economic conditions. Clients are not at this juncture willing to lock into long-term deals.â€

Samsung is the first advertiser to embrace OBN’s new packaging options, embarking on a six-week campaign for its wireless division.

Irwin says the new pricing and packaging enables advertisers to experience Dundas Square at a fraction of the previous cost. “Rather than having to commit and spend $1 million a year with us, they can come in and spend $100,000 or $50,000 and see what the Square’s all about,†he says. “It provides an accessible price point [for us t] demonstrate how great the Square is.â€

I don't understand the constant comparing to London, New York, Toyko, & Paris. Each one of those cities is 4 times bigger than Toronto at least. So say 10,000,000 people to Toronto's say 2,500,000. Get a Grip! Get a Life!
If you must compare Toronto's Dundas Square compare it to the media squares in Houston, Sydney, Melborone, Madrid, Philadelphia, Rome, Caracas, Atlanta, Milan, Zurich, Hong Kong or Singapore. Obviously for a city of our size we punch outside of our wieght class.

It’s completely ridiculous for Toronto to view itself as a city in the same league as Paris, London, Tokyo, or New York. It doesn’t even compare in any significant urban aspect imaginable. Instead, and just like you pointed out, a more realistic comparison would be against Sydney, Melbourne, Houston… etc.
However, the concept of “accepting the city as it is†is just silly, it’s pretty much the equivalent of cocooning ourselves in a shell and living in our own little world, ignoring anything that happens in other cities (whether it was Alpha or Beta.)

I hate repeating myself again but I’m going to do it anyways… when it comes to cities, I think the best ethos is to “analyze, juxtapose, and enhanceâ€. The following (I’ve already mentioned this here) are some of projects undertaken by other cities around the world:

· London is enforcing (congestion charges) on some of its ‘downtown’ streets where motorists pay a fine when driving through them. This helps reduce congestion, cut down pollution, and promote the use of public transit, just to name a few advantages. Dozens of cities worldwide are implementing this concept on their streets as it has proved to be extremely successful and efficient in accomplishing its goals.

· New York City is in the middle of transforming its 13,000 cabs into hybrid vehicles by the end of 2012. This will prevent thousands of tons of carbon emissions to be released into the atmosphere. This will significantly reduce pollution and smog, not to mention, noise.

· Copenhagen has the biggest pedestrianized area in the world (i.e. Strøget) right in the centre of its ‘downtown’ where cars are eternally prohibited from entering the area. Doing this helps clean up atmosphere and noise pollution, encourage physical exercises such as walking and cycling, as well as foster a sense of neighbourhood and community among the residents. Melbourne, Australia has implemented that model as well.

However, based on your concept, we don’t have to try and implement any of the examples mentioned above since we’re just accepting Toronto as it is and are not making any comparisons to other cities.

There is a reason why urban planning programs arrange for field trips to cities across North America and Europe. The purpose is to study and analyze other cities, draw inspiration therefrom, implement their successes and avoid their failures.
By the same token, a better and improved version of Toronto could also qualify as a case study for urban planning students from other countries – we could end up teaching them a thing or two about good urban planning practices.

Don't you think?

The new planning building has automatic sinks and toilets/urinals.

All year I wondered how the urinals "flush" seeing as they are waterless. I'm also surprised the washroom never smelt bad considering they are waterless urinals. The sinks annoyed me, water never stayed running long enough to rinse soap of your hands and would not turn back on for like 10 seconds, so I would move to the second sink.

^ I was going to take some the other day, but I must say that the view is not photo friendly. Dundas Square turns its back on Toronto Life Square. The long canopy and the parking entrance/T.O.TIX are facing away from the view.

And, big freaking deal. The argument against anything from Uno Prii apartments to the Riverdale half-round used to be that they were too tacky vintage 60s looking...

Either way, they look like tiles from a public washroom.

Back