News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Happily, right behind us, the theatre lobby looked fanatastic. Spacious, elegant, colourful, clear, fun and comparatively civilized.
tls10.jpg

Am I the only one who hates the lobby of the theatre? It feels waay too tacky, even for a movie theatre. The quotes on the floor and movie icons on the walls look like something you'd see at a local Blockbuster or an AMC off Major Mac.

It is tacky, but it fits the movie theatre look. There's something about the carpet in movie theatres that brings up a sense of nostalgia. They could make movie theatres with tiled floors but they don't. That je ne sais quoi of walking on a carpet just has to be there for the full experience. Also good point about hiding the pop corn. I don't know anybody who doesn't drop at least one kernel walking to their theatre. You'd have to have somebody constantly on duty with a dust buster to make the place look clean.

With the completed restaurants, this floor is going to be the best looking of all of TLS I think.

I was hoping for something similar to the interior of the Paramount Cinema in Vancouver.

-2 and -3 levels belong to Extreme

Harvey's and the Juice place on level 2 are about ready to open. It's what, 14 years since Harvey's close for this project?

Couple more stores set to open on -1 level within the next week or so.

Strange there is 2 Subway outlet in this place on different floors.

The Addia's store was receiving stock today as well training staff.

Notices posted on the doors of stores under construction about noise and keeping the area clear.

The remaining sections of the existing TTC stairwell and station wall have been saw cut and ready to be remove to allow the rest of the roof to be built. Once done, the whole can be fill in with a new sidewalk. Removal will take place at night.

I see TTC finally got around posting a sign for this new entrance. People look lost going through these doors as well what on the other side.

It is tacky, but it fits the movie theatre look. There's something about the carpet in movie theatres that brings up a sense of nostalgia. They could make movie theatres with tiled floors but they don't. That je ne sais quoi of walking on a carpet just has to be there for the full experience. Also good point about hiding the pop corn. I don't know anybody who doesn't drop at least one kernel walking to their theatre. You'd have to have somebody constantly on duty with a dust buster to make the place look clean.

With the completed restaurants, this floor is going to be the best looking of all of TLS I think.
It manages to be tacky and boring at the same time. I feel like it could be so much more interesting . . . It looks like someone just spilled a bucket of words on the floor and threw some pictures of famous people on the roof. There's nothing compelling about it.

When are they going to install the two big signs of Toronto Life Square. We have seen in rendering that two signs will be placed on top and the side of building. It seems they could not be done during this summer, there is also proposal of Led lighting system on east pole. nothing is coming there.

The TLS AMC is very suburban looking and dated. The new Silver City in Oakville on the other hand is actually quite nice and very modern. There are VIP cinemas with a bar, bowling lanes and pool tables and another bar for the general cinemas, a retail outlet with DVDs and film posters etc., and a beautiful red-tinted glass wall that is incredible when the sun is setting behind it.

^its as if both PenEquity and the tenants assume that the location itself will guarantee visitors so they don't need to go all out in the look and finishings of the building.

AMC specifically knows that there's been a huge void for movie cinemas at that location for a decade. Simply plopping a movie theatre there guarantees them business.

I do like the idea of movie theatre for adults with couches, waiters and drinks. Perhaps we'll see this sort of thing now that Paramount and AMC are competing for each other's business.

The TLS AMC is very suburban looking and dated. The new Silver City in Oakville on the other hand is actually quite nice and very modern. There are VIP cinemas with a bar, bowling lanes and pool tables and another bar for the general cinemas, a retail outlet with DVDs and film posters etc., and a beautiful red-tinted glass wall that is incredible when the sun is setting behind it.

Well, the AMC at TLS is nothing like the ones in the suburbs first of all.

Secondly, I love the Silver City in Oakville. Its a shame AMC didn't attempt something similar at TLS.

Silvercity Oakville is a really nice theatre, I've been there a couple time with my gf.

The entrance is really attractive, the use of light cycling the spectrum is really cool, and once you enter, you are surrounded by lights and people and it is just wonderful.

To the left, a bowling alley and a bar. Upstairs is the VIP (I havent been), and at the back is the food, but I'm dissapointed with that. Maybe just because it was new, but There were only 3 places to get food. Might be different now though.

The theatre's themselves are really nice (I watched Cloverfield my first time there), but the armrests can't be moved like in AMC :eek:

Now, I havent been to the new AMC, but from what I've seen, this could have been their answer to Silvercity Oakville. The lobby is nice, but nothing compared to Silvercity's. If they copy+pasted the whole lighting at the entrace of Silvercity to the entrance of TLS, that would have had a nice effect :cool:

Sounds like I'll have to check out Silver City Oakville. Silver City Mississauga is nothing special.

I also noticed movie posters at Silver City Oakville aren't even posters. They are LCD screens!

Its just amazing how much detail they put into this theater. It makes you wonder... why Oakville?

^I guess you can think of it like this:

Silver City Oakville tries to appeal to the whole region around it. AMC Yonge + Dundas tries to appeal to a series of several city blocks.

Nonetheless, you'd think that AMC would want to showcase themselves at their best at TLS.... guess I thought wrong.

^High average household incomes, very little commercial competition for nightlife and yet has to be snazzy to compete with the real competitor, basement entertainment room.

Back