News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Funny, that was one of the Tim's with the Cold Stone co-locations too (remember that?) - the store had lots of seating and was a useful rest stop when cycling through.
Almost forgot about that Cold Stone! But yes, I remember when it was incorporated into that Tim's store. I believe it lasted about 5 years or so once the novelty wore off. Only time I tried the ice cream was after me and a buddy smoked a fat one and proceeded to split a large. We couldn't even finish the whole thing. Cold Stone was just way too decadent and expensive considering a Dairy Queen and Baskin Robbins were just down the street.

Coldstone along with Marble Slab were a novelty. Seeing the ice cream mixed with stuff on a frozen piece of marble was cool at first but eventually, the novelty wore off. Ice cream was fun while it lasted but now everyone just wants a proper cone without all the frills.

Coldstone along with Marble Slab were a novelty. Seeing the ice cream mixed with stuff on a frozen piece of marble was cool at first but eventually, the novelty wore off. Ice cream was fun while it lasted but now everyone just wants a proper cone without all the frills.

Marble Slab is still here with quite a few locations. Never tried it though. I think Cold Stone failed because it was too much of a novelty and the pairing with Tim's just didn't fit. Typical Tim's customers aren't in the market to also eat indulgent ice cream with their usual orders.

Soft-serve ice cream is more popular in quick serve format with the likes of ice cream trucks and smaller shops (think Tom's Dairy Freeze, Dairy Cream in the west end) not to mention DQ and even McDonald's. Saying that, hard ice creams with inclusions still do particularly well especially more local retail brands like Chapman's and Kawartha Dairy. Kawartha has its own chain of shops and I think they would be prime to do well in the GTA should they ever consider expanding. Baskin Robbins is still everywhere as well and probably are a big reason why Stone Cold failed.

Marble Slab is still here with quite a few locations. Never tried it though. I think Cold Stone failed because it was too much of a novelty and the pairing with Tim's just didn't fit. Typical Tim's customers aren't in the market to also eat indulgent ice cream with their usual orders.

Soft-serve ice cream is more popular in quick serve format with the likes of ice cream trucks and smaller shops (think Tom's Dairy Freeze, Dairy Cream in the west end) not to mention DQ and even McDonald's. Saying that, hard ice creams with inclusions still do particularly well especially more local retail brands like Chapman's and Kawartha Dairy. Kawartha has its own chain of shops and I think they would be prime to do well in the GTA should they ever consider expanding. Baskin Robbins is still everywhere as well and probably are a big reason why Stone Cold failed.

Marble slab is not bad, but gimmicky and pricey (speaking for myself I am not really crazy on loading up on toppings with my scoops anyways - and if you don't add toppings, why bother with the chain?). Fundamentally ice cream is a tough business to run in a city with 6 months of winter.

AoD

Saw a lineup 20 people deep outside the Tim's at Dundas and University this morning. I was flabbergasted.

Saw a lineup 20 people deep outside the Tim's at Dundas and University this morning. I was flabbergasted.
That's pretty common if you swing by at 9am or so these days. Between the nearby construction and the police station there's always customers immediately outside.

That's pretty common if you swing by at 9am or so these days. Between the nearby construction and the police station there's always customers immediately outside.

The one at Dundas and Jarvis is lined up out the door every morning. It has to do with the capacity restrictions brought on by covid.

Tim Hortons to drop limited double-double-inspired merch starting Wednesday

Sept 24, 2021

Canada’s famous coffee chain is launching a merchandise line the company says is inspired by their double-double coffee.

The collection, aptly named the Drip Drop, will feature T-shirts, sweatpants, sweaters and travel mugs in white and milky tan colours, and are branded with the words ‘double-double.’

According to the Drip Drop website, there will be a new release every 20 minutes, “just like our coffee.” The new releases will run until 6 p.m.

In a statement to The Star, Tim Hortons said, “We thought our Drip Drop Collection was a special and unique way of giving our most loyal guests the chance to rep their favourite menu item in the freshest way possible.”

A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Tim Hortons Foundation Camps.

The collection will be released on Sept. 29, at 10 a.m. to coincide with National Coffee Day.

Back