News   Mar 28, 2024
 348     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 358     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

I really enjoy his columns. I never read him when he covered entertainment as the subject didn't interest me but I think he's found his niche. Much better than some of their other regulars who are either completely issue-driven or just broken toys.

The majority of us visit this thread to share or read the latest takedown of Tim's.

I'm not a humour column kind of guy...........but I caught Vinay Menon's column today which is a Tim's takedown for the ages.

For those that need a boost past the paywall:

Excerpts from the above:

View attachment 317429

View attachment 317432

"After every sip, I bolted for the bathroom to brush my teeth and exfoliate my tongue with an old loofah sponge."

View attachment 317441

That's only a part of what he said in print..............

Pretty sure he's off their Christmas list.....

Me, I don’t get why Timmies keeps introducing new products when its core competency is crumbling like a stale apple fritter chucked out the window at the drive-thru. If the company’s mad scientists still can’t brew a half-decent cup of regular joe, why are they screwing around with Mocha Iced Capps and Salted Caramel Creamy Chills and Mexico Chiapas Iced Lattes? Why would I take a chance with the Cortado when the old-timey double-double is still quadruple gross.

QED.

AoD

Perhaps the Tim Hortons Canada team needs to bring the Tim Hortons UK team to make the coffee taste better? I picked up a coffee the last time I was in Manchester and it tasted great. I suspect the competition from chain with good coffee (Costa, Cafe Nero, Pret a Manger, etc) has meant that they had to step up. Seems to be working, as I've blinked and they've open up more than a dozen locations in north England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Nothing in London yet (despite the probably thousands of Canadians here, they're probably be swallowed up, chewed up and spit out if they were here first), but creeping further south. My cousin in Birmingham says pre-pandemic, the location was popular with lines regularly out the door so they must be doing something right.

Perhaps the Tim Hortons Canada team needs to bring the Tim Hortons UK team to make the coffee taste better? I picked up a coffee the last time I was in Manchester and it tasted great. I suspect the competition from chain with good coffee (Costa, Cafe Nero, Pret a Manger, etc) has meant that they had to step up. Seems to be working, as I've blinked and they've open up more than a dozen locations in north England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Nothing in London yet (despite the probably thousands of Canadians here, they're probably be swallowed up, chewed up and spit out if they were here first), but creeping further south. My cousin in Birmingham says pre-pandemic, the location was popular with lines regularly out the door so they must be doing something right.

Honestly, Costa and Nero are better than Tims.

Agreed. Travelling on a budget in London, they were both great spots to pick up a quick breakfast or lunch. Their coffee and food was exponentially better than Tims.

When I was in London I went to Costa solely for the coffee. I stuck to McDonalds for everything else given I was always on the go.

Fantastic news - that stunning building deserves something far better than such a trash retail chain.
Agreed. The worry is another pot store, whilst the hope on FB is a yoga studio. My preference would be another cafe, as we'll have only Jet Fuel once Timmies is gone. Maybe Starbucks will make a return. I know it's a dying biz, but Book City would be welcome. Worse case is another A&W or fast food joint or national drugstore chain.

Agreed. The worry is another pot store, whilst the hope on FB is a yoga studio. My preference would be another cafe, as we'll have only Jet Fuel once Timmies is gone. Maybe Starbucks will make a return. I know it's a dying biz, but Book City would be welcome. Worse case is another A&W or fast food joint or national drugstore chain.
I agree we don't need another A&W or pot store (at last count 4 pot stores opened up in the last year in the neighborhood) but I wouldn't mind a Burger King or McDonalds. There is a lack of quick serve affordable food places in the area which I can't understand given the population size. The only good place we have now IMO is Souvlaki Express which opened in the last year just north of Carlton on Parliament.

Back