News   Mar 28, 2024
 42     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

They are grasping at straws to paper over problems with a substandard product.

I am sure some galaxybrain in their 30s or 40s at their HQ is thinking about how to draw in the coveted millennial cohort - given their aging customer base is probably heading into the times when diabetes is a real thing.

As an old saying goes - "substandard is our standard".

AoD

Tim Horton's parent company has bough the Firehouse Subs chain.
There is some potential cross marketing and integration there. Firehouse Subs selling Tim Horton's coffee, etc.

Hopefully this means much better sandwiches. Every few years they rebrand their "new" club sandwich, and it's always garbage.

Tim Horton's parent company has bough the Firehouse Subs chain.
There is some potential cross marketing and integration there. Firehouse Subs selling Tim Horton's coffee, etc.

This brand already has about 15 locations in the GTA.

I had a quick perusal of their menu............I can't say anything about it stands out favourably.........

It should fit in RBI's portfolio quite well on that basis.

Locations: https://www.firehousesubs.ca/find-a-firehouse/

Menu: https://www.firehousesubs.ca/our-food

I had a quick perusal of their menu............I can't say anything about it stands out favourably.........

I went through the order process and found their 12-inch ham & cheese is $12.50. I haven't been to Subway in about three years, but I'm pretty sure that's about $3 or $4 higher.
Oh, I should say "11-12-inch" as they go out of their way to say repeatedly. Don't want to get sued over the size of the sub!

Last edited:
I went through the order process and found their 12-inch ham & cheese is $12.50. I haven't been to Subway in about three years, but I'm pretty sure that's about $3 or $4 higher.
Oh, I should say "11-12-inch" as they go out of their way to say repeatedly. Don't want to get sued over the size of the sub!
How about 30-centimetre-long subs! After all, Canada officially uses the metric system (though imperial units are often used in everyday conversation).

Due to psychology, 30 centimetres is perceived to be larger than 12 inches (given that 30 > 12), despite centimetres being shorter than inches and 30 centimetres is roughly equal to 12 inches.

There was a marketing campaign during the 1980s in which to compete with McDonald's Quarter Pounder, American A&W's (which is actually a completely different burger chain from Canadian A&W's, despite sharing the same branding) released the Third Pounder, which contains more beef than the Quarter Pounder, has more favourable blind taste test reviews, and is less expensive. Thanks to psychology (and poor mathematical education), customers thought that 1/4 is larger than 1/3 (despite 1/3 actually being larger than 1/4), and so, McDonald's Quarter Pounder won over the American A&W's Third Pounder.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
How about 30-centimetre-long subs! After all, Canada officially uses the metric system (though imperial units are often used in everyday conversation).

Due to psychology, 30 is larger than 12, despite centimetres being shorter than inches.

There was a marketing campaign during the 1980s in which to compete with McDonald's Quarter Pounder, American A&W's (which is actually a completely different burger chain from Canadian A&W's, despite sharing the same branding) released the Third Pounder, which contains more beef than the Quarter Pounder, has more favourable blind taste test reviews, and is less expensive. Thanks to psychology (and poor mathematical education), customers thought that 1/4 is larger than 1/3 (despite 1/3 actually being larger than 1/4), and so, McDonald's Quarter Pounder won over the American A&W's Third Pounder.

Psychology or the educational system.

Many would wonder if a 30cm sub was a slider or a meal for two.

Firehouse actually makes decent subs. Their portions are far more generous than what you get at Subway, and everything always tasted fresh. WIth Timmies/RBI at the helm, I expect the inevitable decline of quality accompanied by a rise in prices, i.e. their standard business modus operandi.

RIP, Firehouse Subs.

Timmies' dark roast coffee is OK. Not as good as (from my distant memory) of their coffee from the mid-late 2000's coffee when I frequented them very often. My biggest problem with their coffee in general though, is the consistency. Sometimes it's good, usually it's OK, and sometimes it's just not good. Usually a thorough mixing solves the problem if I'm able to bring it back home (or to the office whenever that happens again!). But it brings to mind how complicated can it be to make the coffee consistent? Cream/milk and sugar injection are all(?) push button affairs now, so it's all about pushing the right buttons, and then mixing well. How hard can it be to QC this?

Anyone horrified by how they used to use the same spoon to stir coffees in single use cups as well as the reusable mugs? That was a part of my motivation for eliminating sugar. However, they seem to still stir a coffee for just cream (unnecessary).

Anyone horrified by how they used to use the same spoon to stir coffees in single use cups as well as the reusable mugs? That was a part of my motivation for eliminating sugar. However, they seem to still stir a coffee for just cream (unnecessary).
No cow squeezings in my coffee. Once you go black you can’t go back.

Back