News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Tim Hortons plans to 'refocus on our founding values' as sales fall

Alicja Siekierska
Yahoo Finance Canada February 10, 2020

The parent company of Tim Hortons said it plans to “refocus” its operations after a year that saw dozens of product launches and promotions drag down sales at the coffee and doughnut chain.

Restaurant Brands International (QSR), which also operates the Burger King and Popeyes chains, reported Monday that sales growth at Tim Hortons fell 2.9 per cent in the three month period ending Dec. 31 compared to the same time last year. Comparable sales, a key metric in the retail industry, fell 4.3 per cent at Tim Hortons versus the same time last year, while Burger King increased 2.8 per cent, and Popeyes jumped 34.4 per cent.

“At Tim Hortons, our performance did not reflect the incredible power of our brand and it is clear that we have a large opportunity to refocus on our founding values and what has made us famous with our guests over the years, which will be the basis for our plan in 2020,” Jose Cil, the chief executive of RBI, said in a news release.

Speaking on a conference call with analysts on Monday morning, Cil said that Tim Hortons has recently strayed from its core values, which include a focus on freshness, quality, value and giving back to the communities where franchise owners live.

All this talk of gloom and doom, yet I never see a location close, unfortunately.

I have.

Some of the older locations closed over the years. Brimley and Lawrence along with Markham and Lawrence. Mind you those closed about 12 years ago.

They closed due to declining numbers. Since then one has turned into a medical clinic and the other a country style.

None of he locations in our area are closing down.

Also, my wife was sick for several days and their steeped tea was one of the few things she could drink.

Just saw a Tim Horton's youtube ad claiming they're using the same blend since the very beginning. Apparently our tongues and noses got it all wrong :rolleyes:

AoD

Just saw a Tim Horton's youtube ad claiming they're using the same blend since the very beginning. Apparently our tongues and noses got it all wrong :rolleyes:

AoD

Just like the one where they talk to roastery employees and one said that people don't know what is in their coffee... that they only know it tastes great.

This doesn't read well for Timmies....

"Tim Hortons is attempting to please an aging customer base while flirting with younger generations, but it falls short."

I gave up on Roll up the Rim years ago. I only ever got told to play again despite purchasing hundreds of coffees.

I feel like Roll up the Rim is a cash grab and nothing more.

Just like the one where they talk to roastery employees and one said that people
don't know what is in their coffee... that they only know it tastes great.

I could believe the first part - i.e. people don't know what is in their coffee. ?

I gave up on Roll up the Rim years ago. I only ever got told to play again despite purchasing hundreds of coffees.

I have always gotten free coffee and doughnuts - but that became a chore when neither tastes good. I usually just give it away.

AoD

Last edited:

Meanwhile, at McDonalds, they have their seasonal McDonalds Monopoly promotion that is way more popular, and their year round promotion of collecting 7 stickers leading to a free medium hot drink.

Why would you bother with Timmies when on top of that, McDonalds coffee is 10x better?

Meanwhile, at McDonalds, they have their seasonal McDonalds Monopoly promotion that is way more popular, and their year round promotion of collecting 7 stickers leading to a free medium hot drink.

Why would you bother with Timmies when on top of that, McDonalds coffee is 10x better?

Am I the only person who find the Monopoly promo annoying? I always end up with a whole bunch of stickers that don't go anywhere.

AoD

Must we choose between those two?

I opt out.

I like Balzac's and Darkhorse, among others.

I don't really want to patronize an eating establishment based on its contests.

Nor do I wish to get coffee at place with infernal beeping noises going off, throngs of confused customers who don't know where to stand while waiting for their 'number' to come up; or which smell like bubblegum scented floor disinfectant.

Last edited:

Back