News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 658     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Honestly, Tim Hortons needs to go back to the basics- which should not have been this difficult if not for corporate incompetence.

Two most important points:
1. Fix the coffee. It's horrible, and Macdonalds has already snatched up the original supplier- find another one that matches the original as best as possible. Coffee is king in grab-and-go retail.
2. Know your market. Tim Hortons will never be upscale; people with money will always end up going to Starbucks or the fancy local coffee store. Sales are still stable-ish for now because of the same long-timers that have gone to Tim Hortons for ages- there's no guarantee that a more discerning younger generation will stay with Tim Hortons in the future. It should emphasize being both fast and salt-of-the-earth local (true in many smaller communities where the Tim Hortons is the community fixture).

Other things to get back to the public's good side:
3. KISS. Keep the menu simple. No more Impossible whatevers, no fried chicken sandwiches, no overly fancy drinks that require their own machines to make.
4. At least 1/2 of the baked goods (simple things) should be made in-store. More complex baked products like glazed donuts, etc. can still be made in a central factory.
5. Fix the meals - less salt, slightly larger portions. The sandwiches are bland and awfully small; the soups are way too salty.
6. Ad campaign touting a 'Back to the basics' Tim Hortons, focusing on nostalgia (most people still remember when Tim Hortons was good)
7. Start implementing self-serve kiosks and focusing on app orders to help speed throughput in grab-and-go locations. In sit-down locations, retain a locally-hired cashier.
8. Don't focus too much on foreign expansion when the homeland is stagnating. In foreign countries, localize to a degree- successful foreign brands like Macdonalds do this in countries like France or China.
9. Bring back the bread bowls. Chili bread bowls were the best!

Last edited:
I would add to that list^ Horton's needs to make sure all workers have full training for all roles and duties. Employees should know every job in the restaurant. (On my coffee runs i have lost count how many employees don't know how to use the automatic latte machine. It's not brain surgery people! ) And manners and being polite should be taught as well. The guy that works at the Horton's near my work always says Whaaaat? "HUH"? every time he takes my order. It's just a miserable experience going to Horton's, i don't get this level of horrible service at Starbucks or any another restaurant chain.

I would add to that list^ Horton's needs to make sure all workers have full training for all roles and duties. Employees should know every job in the restaurant. (On my coffee runs i have lost count how many employees don't know how to use the automatic latte machine. It's not brain surgery people! ) And manners and being polite should be taught as well. The guy that works at the Horton's near my work always says Whaaaat? "HUH"? every time he takes my order. It's just a miserable experience going to Horton's, i don't get this level of horrible service at Starbucks or any another restaurant chain.

The difference is that Starbucks doesn't hire just any dummy off the street.

It's a fundamental issue of cost-cutting as Tim Hortons uses a lot of TFWs for the job, who are admittedly not well-prepared for customer service tasks. You get what you pay for in the end.

IMO, assuming that they don't want to pay actual livable wages, Tim Horton should implement self-serve kiosks and app sales to reduce these front-line positions at smaller stores (grab-and-gos & at food courts), and to speed up throughput (ordering is always a chokepoint at any busy Tim Hortons).

For sit-down locations, they should retain two well-trained cashiers (one at the drive-in, one inside) to retain a human touch that the long-timers come back for.

And definitely yes, workers should be fully trained to use all the equipment inside the store; reducing the menu size should also help eliminate some of the fussier items.

Honestly, Tim Hortons needs to go back to the basics- which should not have been this difficult if not for corporate incompetence.

Two most important points:
1. Fix the coffee. It's horrible, and Macdonalds has already snatched up the original supplier- find another one that matches the original as best as possible. Coffee is king in grab-and-go retail.
2. Know your market. Tim Hortons will never be upscale; people with money will always end up going to Starbucks or the fancy local coffee store. Sales are still stable-ish for now because of the same long-timers that have gone to Tim Hortons for ages- there's no guarantee that a more discerning younger generation will stay with Tim Hortons in the future. It should emphasize being both fast and salt-of-the-earth local (true in many smaller communities where the Tim Hortons is the community fixture).

Other things to get back to the public's good side:
3. KISS. Keep the menu simple. No more Impossible whatevers, no fried chicken sandwiches, no overly fancy drinks that require their own machines to make.
4. At least 1/2 of the baked goods (simple things) should be made in-store. More complex baked products like glazed donuts, etc. can still be made in a central factory.
5. Fix the meals - less salt, slightly larger portions. The sandwiches are bland and awfully small; the soups are way too salty.
6. Ad campaign touting a 'Back to the basics' Tim Hortons, focusing on nostalgia (most people still remember when Tim Hortons was good)
7. Start implementing self-serve kiosks and focusing on app orders to help speed throughput in grab-and-go locations. In sit-down locations, retain a locally-hired cashier.
8. Don't focus too much on foreign expansion when the homeland is stagnating. In foreign countries, localize to a degree- successful foreign brands like Macdonalds do this in countries like France or China.
9. Bring back the bread bowls. Chili bread bowls were the best!

I was ready to give you a 'like' on this one til #9. Their Chili is some of the most disgusting swill this side of dog food. (no offense, LOL)

I tried it exactly once, maybe 20 years ago, when I was running from work to an evening course and needed something super quick.

I tried 2 spoonfuls........that was the end of that.........forever.

At least you guys got a chance with Starbucks. Tim's didn't even give me an interview back in the day. Had to go slave at a foreign embassy. It's like they knew I was so dumb I'd be dropping out the year after. Afraid I'd be dribbling in people's "coffee" and not being able to count change.

In addition to all the above, cracking actual eggs in-store instead of using frozen ones really shouldn't be too much to ask for. McDonalds does it.

Glad I don't eat there. Don't eat at McDonald's either so it may not just be the level of egg proficiency.

What the hell is a frozen egg? What's the point? ?

I have to assume the cereal was driven by Post, not Timmies. The former has made some bad choices in the past, from cultural digs to scary clown nightmares

A1CA18EF-CCE0-4A06-BE50-029EE568EB6C.jpeg
6B41FB94-B2B6-4932-AD00-B968E6B68D75.jpeg

Back