News   Apr 26, 2024
 263     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 176     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 627     0 

The "School District" question

^^ either the legend is wrong or else I am missing something.

It has red dots as 0 - 0.65 and yellow dots as 0.65 - 113. Shouldn't that be 0.65 - 1.13?

I noticed that too and it's because there is a typo for Bendale Jr PS near McCowan and Lawrence. They had 414 full time students in 2014 vs a capacity of 367 for an utilization rate of 113% but in the data it shows up as 11300%! The legend is auto-populated from the data so it picks up the max data point as 113 instead of 1.13. I'm just too lazy to contact the G&M to let them know!

Strange that Rolph Road in Leaside is shown as red as they are closed for optional attendance. Plus, Leaside is not short of kids.

It's interesting how we use the premise of school district to value homes and neighbourhoods, when in many cases IMO what we really want is to live amoungst successful, professional, educated and I dare say English-1st language caucasian folks with both the will and means to be house proud and take care of their property. This certainly describes nearly every real estate area I can think of in the city of Toronto where the "school district" is used to gauge high property values.

As un-PC as your statement may come across, I have to say that it has merit. I've discussed this "school district" to "real estate" issue ad nauseam with many people and what we've concluded, and what we've all also noted here in this thread, is that it isn't really the school, per se, that is "better" but the kids in those neighborhoods who happen to go to those schools.

Referencing 2 old quotes from this thread, intriguingly I had a conversation with someone today who said they were looking to move. Family of 4 where 1 child is in school and another child about to start JK soon. I asked the reasons for the desire to move and they stated 'better schools.'

The conversation was more comprehensive...but long story short, it turns out that the demographics have changed dramatically over the course of the past 10 years since they've lived there and it's not so much that the school has deteriorated or the staff has gotten worse or any change occurred with the curriculum...but from what I'm told, apparently the kids that are now going to the school appear to be predominantly from 'lower educated' families. His words, not mine...which got me to concede that once again, at the end of the day, it really isn't the school itself, but the kids that go to the school, i.e. the other families who are associated with the neighborhood you are living in.

I really think that teachers teach to the middle of the class, out of necessity, not really addressing the needs of the bottom and the top. The higher the middle of the class is academically, the higher the challenges will be, making the school better for academically oriented kids. And obviously, upper middle parents are academically-oriented themselves. It's unfortunate but it's often the way the public system works because of the size of classes.
There are always teachers that can meet the needs of all the kids but I think that it's rare. It's one of the reasons FI is so popular in the GTA - it's not that all parents want their kids to learn French, it's that many feel they'll be more challenged in an environment where the parents have consciously chosen a program for their child and are thus more involved.

While I think most of us are in agreement that there are much too many other factors involved to truly and fairly "rank" a particular school based on some tests administered to their grade 3 and 6 classes, EQAO school scores and Fraser Institute school rankings are still interesting nonetheless. And with that, Fraser Institute has just released their 2015 Report Card on Ontario's Elementary Schools: http://www.fraserinstitute.org/uplo...s/ontario-elementary-school-rankings-2015.pdf. Note that this year they did not include their "Actual rating vs predicted based on parents’ average employment income" statistic as they usually do.

If you look at the Fraser's report formula at the end the study, they weight "tests below standard" at 30%. Now, I don't really understand the inputs into the formula because they've simplified the explanation (and I don't want to bother thinking about it too much) but it seems to me that schools with high proportions of new immigrants would be punished in the rankings because obviously, new immigrant students that have never studied in English before will not do well immediately on testing. So even if the EQAO results are good in total, the ranking can be low if there are a high proportion of students that are below standard.

They also are weighting "gender gap" at 10% which I find a bit strange because personally, I don't find it a very meaningful statistic in elementary school. Also, schools with a small populations (e.g., one class) will mostly likely have a gender gap because the number of students being tested is much smaller so it's more likely that each gender with not perform near the mean.

Last edited:
There was an article yesterday in the National Post reiterating and reinforcing what many have commented on already; that a child's success is more closely tied to the parents than the school they go to.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...but-its-mainly-because-of-their-parents-study

Private school students do fare better — but it’s mainly because of their parents: study

Joseph Brean | March 31, 2015 | Last Updated: Apr 1 8:11 AM ET

The roughly 6% of Canadian teenagers who attend private schools gain advantages that only increase as the students continue into higher and graduate education.

From Grade 10 math tests through to graduate school, private school students fare better academically than their peers in public schools, according to new research by Statistics Canada.

But the gap, experts suggest, is not due to better teaching or more resources in private schools as much as to the advantages private school students gain from having parents who tend to be wealthier and more highly educated.

“Time and time again, studies constantly show that the parents’ education ends up being strongly correlated with the child’s educational success,” said Marc Frenette, a Statistics Canada research economist who co-wrote the report with Winnie Chan.

Whatever the reasons, the educational achievement gap is wide and clear. The roughly 6% of Canadian teenagers who attend private schools — from the grandest boarding school for the global elite to the most modest independent religious school — gain advantages that only increase as the students continue into higher and graduate education.

On standardized reading, math and science tests administered in Grade 10, for example, private school students outperformed public school students by 8 or 9%.

By following a cohort of 7,142 students born in 1984, the researchers were also able to show that, by age 23, 35% of the private school students had graduated from university, compared with 21% for the public students.

Private school students were also more likely to pursue graduate or professional degrees, like medicine, law or dentistry, by 13% to 5%.

A private school, in this research, was defined as one that controls its own affairs, like hiring for example, as opposed to being under the authority of a wider school board. The designation is independent of financing, and so includes many religious schools. In fact, a large majority of about 80% of private schools in the study are “sectarian,” or religiously affiliated.

Earlier research out of the University of British Columbia in 2012 came to an opposite conclusion, that public school graduates perform better at university math and physics courses in part because university is more like a public school, with less individual attention.

The Statscan researchers took a broader sociological look, and by gathering demographic data on students, their peers and their parents, were able to point to specific socioeconomic factors as key drivers of the achievement gap, such as parental affluence and especially parental education.

“That’s the main one actually. Many studies point to that as being the main driver of student success,” said Mr. Frenette.

He said he is not sure how exactly that plays out — whether by reading more to children, helping with homework or just a greater general emphasis on education.

The Statscan research showed parents of private school students had incomes 25% higher. It also found 10% of public school students had a parent who completed a graduate or professional degree, compared with 25% of private school students. Much, however, remains unexplained.

“We can only observe what we can observe,” Mr. Frenette said. “We do have measures of socioeconomic factors such as parental income, parental education and a whole host of others, but we don’t have things like natural-born ability, for example. Similarly, for the school factors, we have a lot, but we don’t have everything. We have things like student-teacher ratios, we have instructional hours, we have teacher qualifications, computer resources, tutoring, feedback from teachers to parents and so forth. But we don’t have things like what’s going on specifically in the classroom, how are teachers teaching.”

In Canada, about one out of 20 15-year-olds attends a private school, with lower rates in the Maritimes, and higher rates in Quebec and British Columbia.

Deani Van Pelt, a researcher with the Fraser Institute and director of the Barbara Mitchell Centre for Improvement in Education, has researched why people choose private schools, and said a weakness of the Statscan report is that it lumps all private schools together, with no distinction between religious or not, or entirely independent or not.

Her work has shown, for example, that the income of parents who chose religiously defined schools was lower than those who chose academically defined ones. It also showed that it is not simply socioeconomic factors that cause parents to choose private schools, but often a desire for strong community and character formation. Many, for example, came to private schools after a negative experience in public ones.

Doretta Wilson, executive director of the Society for Quality Education, said many of these findings are in line with what is already known about educational patterns.

“The one interesting finding that I think is notable is the one about teacher and principal expectation of students,” she said, describing a difference in attitude between public and private schools, even though they generally teach the same curricula and hire from the same pool of student teachers. In the research, nearly 10% of public school principals said low teacher expectations of students hindered learning, compared with just 0.5% of private school principals.

Private schools “expect more of their staff,” Ms. Wilson said, speculating this could be because staff are not unionized and ineffective ones can be quickly removed.

Parents also have higher expectations, she said. “If you are paying for something, you value it. There’s a vested interest in making sure the children are successful.”

National Post

• Email: jbrean@nationalpost.com

if anyone's interested, I've developed a simple segmentation model that looks at schools based on their current scores, the trajectory of their scores and the price of properties within a radius of the school. (This is not perfect as it looks at prices based on proximity to the school, not actual school districts.) If there's interest, I'll do a quick write up and post a link to it this weekend.

Full disclosure, I would probably post this to a blog attached to my start-up's website. Visitors can read the blog and ignore everything else if they want... either way, I just want to make sure this would be above board for this forum. I'm new here and don't want to go against the rules and/or social norms

Also, you need to consider whether you want to focus on elementary, junior high or high school qualities

It's unfortunate that the Fraser Institute has brought this American-style concern about "school districts" here - pretty much all the realtors are using it.

Toronto’s art school students mostly white, from high-income families, study finds
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...te-from-high-income-families-study-finds.html

I was recently sitting next to a woman from Oakville at a work-related event. She was telling me she drives to the office (downtown Toronto) because she has to drop her daughter off at Etobicoke School of the Arts. I was "huh, I thought you said lived in Oakville" (she had spent some time complaining about the property taxes Oakville, a complaint I don't have living in East York, haha). According to this woman, ESA is an audition-entry school and it doesn't matter what school board area you actually live in. I was sort of outraged that the TDSB is letting out-of-Board students into TDSB schools. Don't we have enough students of our own?

Back