News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

The Plague of EIFS

Unfortunately, while I'm a primo EIFS-basher, you're getting into "you can't legislate taste" territory here--in which case, maybe "viral" would be the better (initial?) approach, through journalism, et al, maybe an "EIFS of the day" photoblog, who knows.

And EIFS IIRC actually has "virtuous" and even "heritage-friendly" origins--I think the postwar rebuilding of Poland hinged a lot upon EIFS prototypes...

Both of those houses belong to somebody I know. Walking in after they had just finished the reno, I remember wishing that they hadn't gone the EIFS route, though given that the effort was undertaken by a small-business owner, I wasn't surprised that cost and not architectural value was the deciding factor in this case. I'm not sure about the one on the left, but the right one used to be a tiny bungalow, onto which a second floor was added.

Last edited:
I don't know, going after somebody's house in a thread? Perhaps when one bashes someone's house they should post a picture of theirs so the community can assess their taste as well.
Both of those houses belong to somebody I know. Walking in after they had just finished the reno, I remember wishing that they hadn't gone the EIFS route, though given that the effort was undertaken by a small-business owner, I wasn't surprised that cost and not architectural value was the deciding factor in this case. I'm not sure about the one on the left, but the right one used to be a tiny bungalow, onto which a second floor was added.

post some examples if you have them....

one of the biggest issues with this stuff is that in the vast majority of cases it ends up looking unspeakably vulgar and tasteless because of the illiterate and boneheaded use of "historical" mouldings--cornices, sills, pediments, medallions, columns, pilasters, keystones, arches, etc etc.—all of these will, in every case, turn an extant building into absolute garbage.

Some of the worst offenders that belong to this category are in the Queen West, Trinity Bellwoods Area.

131 Massey Street (Queen and Strachan)

98 Carr Street (Queen and Bathurst)

I can only imagine how well these buildings will weather over time...

I can't see pictures. Did someone post the hideous wedding cake just North of the Keg Mansion?

And the Star of Downtown's "town-houses"? These are the worst homes I have seen in downtown Toronto.

Back