News   Mar 28, 2024
 45     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

The Junction

What's required is that:

A) We move high priority buildings from listing (no protection) to designation.

I'm not actually sure why we have a 'listing' level. Which is essentially 'Its important, but we're not doing anything about it'.

B) Once designated, we require an owner to have insurance/covenant that in the even of a fire, the building must be reconstructed to its pre-fire state or better.

And nothing may be applied for on the site until the restoration is complete.

Including building permits for previously approved zoning/SPA.

That removes any incentive to criminal, reckless or negligent conduct in terms of preserving this type of building.

How difficult would it be to get such measures officially adopted? The city clearly needs tools with teeth of this nature.

Some photos of the demolition so far at the old Peacock Hotel:

Aug 8, 2020

20200808_085117.jpg
20200808_085126.jpg
20200808_085144.jpg

...and it's gone, with no hint of what will replace it. A serious loss for the Junction, one of the most architecturally impressive neighbourhoods in Toronto. :(

...and it's gone, with no hint of what will replace it. A serious loss for the Junction, one of the most architecturally impressive neighbourhoods in Toronto. :(

Definitely a lot of gems along Dundas along with housing stock on the side streets.

Some of my favourites just west of Keele:

20191225_090442.jpg

1598975375914.png
20191225_090536.jpg

Last edited:
Two developments I'm very curious about that seem to have been hampered/cancelled by COVID:

Pizzeria Libretto at 3011 Dundas Street West (former STADT Cafe) - still listed as a future location on their website but whenever I walk by it looks like no progress has been made inside...

Boxcar Social was supposed to have a Junction location opening in the spring, they were hiring for it on their website (no longer listed). I thought possible locations could be vacant building on the NE corner of Dundas and Keele or perhaps a few doors west of Indie Ale House but Junction Yacht Club and Full Stop Cafe already offer coffee so it seems like overkill for that stretch of Dundas...

Anybody know more?

An e-bike vendor called Epic Cycles has opened on Dundas just east of Keele on the north side. I think it used to be a coffee shop.

The 2-storey brick warehouse building at 2738 Dundas Street West (@Watkinson Ave, 3 blocks east of Keele) is being listed for sale at $6.6 million:

Photo from the listing:

junc.jpg

The 2-storey brick warehouse building at 2738 Dundas Street West (@Watkinson Ave, 3 blocks east of Keele) is being listed for sale at $6.6 million:

Photo from the listing:

View attachment 287955
The link is dead now, which could mean that it could have been possibly sold?

The Beet (operating inside The Passenger, corner Pacific/Dundas) will have its last day this Saturday, February 28. They're still looking for a new location...I guess that means the condo project going up on the corner is finally going to be underway?

Construction likely won't start right away. There should still be other leases that need to run out, along with marketing and permits required. But yes, that condo project will be imminent.

Back