News   Apr 24, 2024
 975     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

The Junction

I read a few weeks back on a local blog that A&W will be taking up shop where the Sub shop used to be. I only quickly glanced at the floor plan, but the next unit or two on Keele adjacent to it may be part of the plan.

Doesn't sound like much of an improvement really. Part of what makes the Junction great is the distinct lack of corporate chain stores.

Doesn't sound like much of an improvement really. Part of what makes the Junction great is the distinct lack of corporate chain stores.
The Junction is in this weird gentrification phase right now. Way too many cash money places that are slowly being replaced, but by just as corporate things as Subway a block west of the Campbell Block where that A&W will be.

I'm definitely curious as to who else will take up residence the Campbell Block. I think Above Ground will stay, as it meets the vision of the new owners. Definitely very surprised that the sketchy Celtic bar is still around, though.

I passed the Subway several times over the weekend and it was always packed with people. The neighbourhood likes its subs, apparently. Also, the BlogTO comments note a florist will be one of the new Campbell block businesses; that will be a nice addition!

There are lots of students that walk up to dundas to get lunch. Fast food chains will always do well there. I think there needs to be more cheap takeout options around.

Subway has been trying to open in the neighbourhood for years. They were going to go into a different storefront 4 years ago but it never happened for some reason. A crappy subway - coming soon! sign was posted in the window for over a year lol.

Lots of stores have been closing from increased rents.

My pet food store at dundas and high park closed. LAN sushi at dundas and pacific is closing and trying to find new space because that block is slated to be torn down for a condo. Littlefish closed. Locomotive closed. Mavety variety is being forced out and is moving across the street. They've been there for decades.

Am I forgetting anything?

The neighbourhood is going into the later gentrification stages where the only businesses that can afford the rent are chains or high priced, successful local business.

I was sad to see Mr. Antico and the sub shop get booted from the Campbell block, but do wish that my end of the Junction (i.e. Dundas near Runnymede) gets a bit more lively - but please, more restaurants and not cafes - between Baby Point and the Junction the coffee/pastry market is saturated.

Saw that the High Park United church has been sold and will be - what else - condos. I think they are planning on tearing down the education/office portion of the building.

As it was:

campbell-block-lg.jpg

junction-h.jpg

screen-shot-2014-02-01-at-10-23-35-am.png

What;s the next up and comming area these stores are moving too ?

I was sad to see Mr. Antico and the sub shop get booted from the Campbell block.

I'm not. That is far too grand a building (especially now that it's been fully restored) to host such low-end businesses. I really hope they don't renew the lease for Celt's Pub - that dump needs to go.

Mr. Antico had some nice stuff, if packed, but am glad to see Kang's, that ancient Chinese food place and some of the others go.

I was just down in that area a few weeks ago, and the building restoration work looks really good! I just hope that pub (Celt's Pub I think?) goes next. I've been in there, and it's pretty gross inside.

I assume they have a lease that hasn't expired yet. I can't see any other reason why they would still be around. It is 100% a front business for someone.

Back