News   Apr 24, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.6K     6 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 647     0 

The Future of Bombardier

McCowan Yard was built to store at least 8 4-car trainsets - 32 cars total. The fleet is currently 28 cars-strong, so there is certainly more than enough room for at least another trainset. And if they get creative, they shouldn't have trouble storing another 2 or 3 beyond that on the property.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
If that's the case they should really be looking into acquiring some additional cars. I have a feeling that the cost of acquiring only 4 wouldnt be worth it in the end, so they would have to opt for a slightly larger number to justify the expense.

McCowan Yard was built to store at least 8 4-car trainsets - 32 cars total. The fleet is currently 28 cars-strong, so there is certainly more than enough room for at least another trainset. And if they get creative, they shouldn't have trouble storing another 2 or 3 beyond that on the property.
Given the age of the Mark Is and the near certainty the SSE will slip to the right, we can’t risk losing a trainset. I strongly agree that Vancouver should be approached, especially if Ottawa would be willing to offset part of the Mark III purchase with PTIF contribution.

It would help of course if Vancouver were not so greedy as to expect us to pay 100pc of the remaining cost when they are not only getting newer but also more capable equipment.

I was thinking one extra set at the yard, and two at McCowan station.

But easy enough to add an extra track - heck, could add one more just north of the existing 4, and do it properly.

Though if there's room for 8 trains outside, and 3-4 trains inside, couldn't they simple manage their location a bit?

Problem with such a strategy is that 1. Metrolinx want SRT gone sooner rather than later so it works better for them if SRT collapses early with no plan B, and 2. The cost benefit works best if you admit SSE beyond 2026 and the Mayor and his enablers won’t want to do that

Wendover Productions on YouTube has this fantastic 10 min video on the C-Series program on YouTube. I don't know much about the airplane business, but this video was able to bring me up to speed. It looks like the Bombardier/Airbus deal will be pretty great for both companies.

@TheTigerMaster

I like Wendover's video. But they are a tad simplistic sometimes. In this particular case, he misses an important point. The CSeries is a small plane like the Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 are small planes. The CS100 is the only somewhat small airplane and its larger than the Boeing 717 and Airbus A318 (the 'Babybus'). The CS300 has the same capacity as the Airbus A319 and Boeing 737-700. And the wing is sized for a future CS500 which will target the bread and butter capacity slot of the Boeing 737-800 and Airbus A320. And that's exactly why Boeing is trying to kill it and why Airbus took a stake in the program.

In the next few years, here's what will happen: Airbus will use the CSeries to replace its A320 lineup, as they fund the development of the CS500. And they will do this as they revamp the A320 lineup around the A321, to fight off the Boeing 797 coming into service in the middle of the next decade.

The CSeries is a real gamechanger (in the way the 787 Dreamliner was) and it's really unfortunate that most Canadians never really supported Bombardier, nor understood what was at stake. All those myths that Canadians have about the Avro Arrow. Most of those are just Canadian mythmaking. The CSeries was everything those myths talked about, in real life. Bombardier made a narrowbody that would have killed the largest profitmaker for both the big airplane makers.

Problem with such a strategy is that 1. Metrolinx want SRT gone sooner rather than later so it works better for them if SRT collapses early with no plan B, and 2. The cost benefit works best if you admit SSE beyond 2026 and the Mayor and his enablers won’t want to do that
At the new GO stations meeting this week they commented that new Lawrence East GO station would open before SRT closed; targeting 2025 (so much for John Tory's 2018 promise) with SSE at least 2026.

GO no longer gains anything from closing the SRT.

At the new GO stations meeting this week they commented that new Lawrence East GO station would open before SRT closed; targeting 2025 (so much for John Tory's 2018 promise) with SSE at least 2026.

GO no longer gains anything from closing the SRT.
2018? Tory always promised 7 years - which would be 2021. Not 2025, but not 2018 either.

Rumors:

Airbus is reportedly going to rename its newly acquired Bombardier C Series jet
The Bombardier C Series may soon be renamed the A200-family, sources told Bloomberg's Benjamin D Katz and Frederic Tomesco. More specifically, the CS100 and CS300 would be redesignated the A210 and A230.
Airbus acquired 50.1% of the C Series program in October. However, mechanisms within the deal will see the Europe airplane maker take 100% ownership of the C Series program within five years. Airbus made no up-front financial investment in the C Series, but will provide its procurement, marketing, sales, and customer-support expertise. In addition, Airbus also indicated that C Series production would also take place at its plant in Mobile, Alabama.

http://www.businessinsider.com/airbus-to-rename-bombardier-c-series-the-a200-report-2018-4

Cool.

Though it would have been nice to see them extend a branch south to the other 2 Disney parks that have sprung up since Epcot was built nearly 40 years ago.
The monorail is really a Walt legacy network and it isn't as cost-effective as other solutions for moving guests. Like all monorails, it was a bad idea, and is only operating today because it's propped up on nostalgia and park revenue. I doubt we'll see any WDW monorail expansions in the coming decades since they are doubling down on gondola technology with the new park-to-park Disney Skyliner system under construction.
What is interesting here is that Disney monorails require extensive modification for that signature look, and customized parts have been a big problem for Bombardier in the Toronto streetcar delivery fiasco.

Hey, if you can't spend extra money for a really cool ride at DisneyWorld, where CAN you do it? This is the one place where I don't think you have to be the most efficient.

Ah, hadn't heard about Disney Skyliner ... that could be cool.

I'm not sure why there has to be a maintenance of the signature look. The monorails Bombardier build for elsewhere look just fine to me. But really - how complicated is it to add some cool-looking nosecone.

Of course I wouldn't advocate such sillyness for non-Disney transit.

Back