News   Apr 23, 2024
 98     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 596     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 414     0 

The Fountains Of Toronto

The fountain on The Esplanade @ Hahn Place is working again. Maybe the first year since 2018 - initially the Lake was too high and the mechanism was flooded and then covid. It's one of my favourite Toronto fountains, simple but effective. Not sure they have got the lighting working too but having the water is a pleasant surprise. I tried to persuade my partner to jump through it for the photo - he refused!

IMG_0987[1].JPG

Ok, so, I finally dragged myself up to the wilds of North York to do a bunch of park reviews for various members.............

In the course of doing so, I took a few development pictures........and, well, I encountered some fountains..........

Photos Taken, September 1st, 2022:

First, a fountain in Albert Standing Park, which is just west of Yonge, on the south side of Sheppard:

DSC09309.JPG

Lookin pretty good............

Also lookin decent, the fountain at Mel Lastman Square, on the west side of Yonge, about mid-way between Sheppard and Finch:

Lets start by looking at the entire structure of the fountain:

DSC09357.JPG

Now a close-up:

DSC09358.JPG

Finally, this fountain starts a mini-river/aqueduct of sorts:

DSC09359.JPG

@mjl08 @Sky High Arch and @Undead ..... Look what part of the world I was in today............reviews will appear shortly.

Well, if you thought North York is far, I present to you Oshawa. Hopefully these are allowed here... I don't think Oshawa has enough fountains to warrant its own thread lol

That said, the gardens at Parkwood Estate are stunning. Definitely a special place, and I recommend a stroll if one ends up out this way. Not that it's any sort of secret seeing as many movies and shows have been filmed here over the years, but it really is an impressive place in person.

fountain1.jpg

fountain2.jpg

fountain3.jpg

I was joking, but it does look a little bit familiar. I know where Oshawa is, but I don't think I've ever gotten off the 401 to visit it, other than that one time I went to Red Lobster.

I went for a walk......on Sept 21, 2022; and in the course of so doing, snapped pics of two more fountains; both of these, however are in POPS rather than Parks.

World Trade Centre Condo:

DSC09668.JPG

WaterClub Condo: (though difficult to see, the water actually is flowing over the edges of the fountain below in both images)

DSC09705.JPG

DSC09707.JPG

There is a lovely little park located at the south east intersection of Spadina and Wellington streets named "Clarence Square". There is an equally lovely little fountain in the park. Unfortunately the fountain has been hidden behind an ugly makeshift graffiti covered plywood box for the better part of 4 years. I initially I thought that perhaps the fountain was being sheltered from the winter weather. Then Spring, Summer and Fall passed by and the little fountain was still "boxed" Then Covid struck and I figured that the fountain was hidden to accommodate the social distancing mandated by the public health department. Last Spring I got fed up and I sent a letter to Toronto Parks regarding the boxed fountain. Lo and behold the person I spoke to from the parks department took action and the fountain was finally released from its plywood prison. Fast forward a couple of months and the little fountain was imprisoned again, perhaps it broke parole. I haven't been to Clarence Square lately so the situation might have changed again. Regardless, how a city with such little charm and so few good public art pieces manage to strangle the paltry few we have. Take a look below, boxed and unboxed.

UT 1 L9600755.jpg

UT 2 L9600751.jpg

UT 3 L9600752.jpg

UT 4 Clarence Sq.jpg

UT 5 Clarence Sq.jpg

Last edited:
Clarence Square really needs a total revitalization similar to what was done in St. Andrew's Playground. It's in very sad shape with regards to paving, pathways fencing, etc. and is not really a welcoming space to linger (which has helped encourage the encampments seen in the above pics).

1876:

1876gross.BEV.detail.Clarence1.jpg

1886:

s1465_fl0475_it0015.jpg

1913:

s1465_fl0119_id0037.jpg

1923:

1923ParkBlueprint-ClarenceSquare.jpg

1972:

s0841_fl0063_it0021.jpg

1991:

s1465_fl0681_it0013.jpg

June 2022:

June 2022.jpg

Last edited:
Clarence Square really needs a total revitalization similar to what was done in St. Andrew's Playground. It's in very sad shape with regards to paving, pathways fencing, etc. and is not really a welcoming space to linger (which has helped encourage the encampments seen in the above pics).

There are certainly things that could be done to improve Clarence Square........

That said, I find the reference to poor pathways rather odd, they're almost all new. The last re-do was maybe 10 years ago...........2012/13 I believe.

The park got all new pathways, lights and benches at that time.

I frankly don't like what they chose, and find the DOLA and annoying intrusion into the space; but it shouldn't be in all that poor condition, except for any sod wiped out by the encampments.

Back