News   Jul 02, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 609     0 

The Climate Change Thread

So, basically you're saying that reviews of the literature that conclude that humans contribute to climate change are flawed. I guess they must all be flawed because they all conclude that humans likely affect climate.

No, I didn't say that at all. Have you read every single literature review across the entire field of climatology as it relates to climate change? Do you deny that natural climate variation could easily account for a very slight (and not quite decided in terms of degree) temperature increase seen over the last century?

Other than providing your own personal opinions (low level of evidence) and explanations, you haven't provided much to counter the assertion the there is a general agreement among climate researchers that humans affect climate. You've cited a couple of studies (one co-authored by someone from the Cato Institute), but this is where knowing how to weigh the evidence becomes important.

You have not proven a consensus. No one has. You have shown that among those who agree that there is a human impact on climate, that there is agreement there is a human impact. That's pretty much it. Have you read all the articles that are cited the review articles that you have read? Do you read climate review articles beyond those that discuss potential human effects on climate? Can you speak to what the position is of a researcher with respect to anthropogenic effects on climate when he or she does not take a position?

As for the Cato Institute, other than your dislike for the organization (and presumably the man associated to it) does that automatically make his research unworthy? Is the measure of his work related to his politics?

Is yours?

Go through the IPCC and read the articles cited. See what the researchers have stated. Does every paper cited take a position on anthropogenic contributions to climate change? Many don't. Of those that mention a potential anthropogenic contribution, do they just make reference to it, but don't take a position either way? Many do. It's an issue of degree, but you don't want to know anything about degree.

As for all the scientific organizations, did they have all their members vote on the statement? I don't think so.

As for the IPCC, it assumes a conclusion in which it looks for research to support. Its "conclusions" concerning the forecasts for the effects of human emissions of GHG's are derived by computer models. With its admitted low levels of understanding with respect to the natural drivers of climate, the IPCC makes conclusions about global temperature increase, sea level rise and so on. The conclusions are not drawn from research, but from highly parameterized computer models that they call scenarios. There is not a computer on the planet that can actually model the climate as a whole - or even in significant part.

Try to think of it this way; suppose that instead of evaluating research on climate, a group of scientists introduced a new cancer drug that they claimed would save many lives. They admitted that there were some side effects, but then claimed that the benefits of the drug far outweighed the risks. The government then asked these scientist to form an assessment Committee to evaluate their claim. Colleagues of the group of scientists who introduced the drug are then asked to serve on this committee, along with the developers of the drug.

If this occurred in reality, there would be protest because it is a clear conflict of interest. Yet this is what is happening with the IPCC process. The same people who are asserting a human effect on the climate system are leading the assessment. They play a crucial role in selecting the research that is used to support their point of view, and framing how that research is used in order to come to their conclusion. Should there be an outcry on this obvious conflict of interest? Maybe you don't think so. Regardless, the trouble is that few people recognize this conflict, or see nothing wrong with it, because the recommendations of the IPCC appear to fit their politics and their beliefs.

Is that type of science good enough for you? Don't worry; I already know your answer.

You are the one asserting a consensus with respect to the whole scientific community and the published research. The burden of proof is on you to show it.
The proof has been offered repeatedly. The literature reviews are unanimous - that's a consensus. And whether you like it or not, those reviews are how we find out the current thinking on a topic. You're the one disagreeing that there's a consensus, so the burden of proof is on you. Yet all you do is repeat the same arguments about politics and natural variations and our ability to comprehend... as if this all wasn't addressed dozens of posts back.

Ultimately it comes down to every literature review, the IPCC, and every major scientific body....versus your arguments, which are really nothing more than criticizing the methodology of the work that's being done. I know where I'm putting my money.

You are the one asserting a consensus with respect to the whole scientific community and the published research. The burden of proof is on you to show it.

I showed it. Many, many, many times.

If papers take no position on an anthropogenic cause for climate change, they assert no position. Period. This can't be so difficult to grasp, can it?

A literature review can contain references to papers that make no attribution to human causation. The paper you cited earlier does so. It includes papers to make reference to a specific phenomena. The IPCC does the same thing.

I have literature reviews on climate change phenomena such as droughts, sea level rise, ocean oscillations and solar-climate couplings - all major phenomena with respect to climate and climate change. None makes reference to anthropogenic causation when assessing the changes observed, or when trying to understand why such changes take place.

I'm a bit baffled by these paragraphs but they give me the impression that you don't quite understand literature reviews. Fair enough, but at least be open to having them explained to you. In a literature review on climate change, addressing the causes of climate change might be only one small part of the article. Maybe a paragraph or two. Everything else in the article still has to be cited and requires references, even introductory statements that may give some historical context. Every statement has to have a reference. It's a part of the rigor of science. It's evidence-based. That's why in a review article on climate change, out of the 30 or 40 references, only a handful might address the human contribution. Let's say 5 or 6. If there are no studies that reject the hypothesis that humans affect climate, then that's still 5 or 6 studies vs. 0, meaning that it appears that humans affect climate. The author of the review would then conclude that research seems to indicate that humans affect climate. In a thorough review article, evidence for both sides is presented and weighed. So there may be 12 studies that support humans affecting climate and 2 studies that reject the idea. The consensus would still be that humans affect climate because most studies indicate that. And since all reviews on climate change agree that humans make some contribution, and none reject the idea, that's how I form my opinion.

The research that disagrees with your asserted consensus might actually have excellent arguments as well, have you ever considered that? Do recall the fact that climate has always been changing. It is a well-recognized constant of nature.

Everyone knows this, and this is a concept you still are having difficulty with. Humans contribute to climate change. Meaning that natural phenomena are acknowledged but human activity appears to have an additional effect. It could be as little as a 1 or 2% contribution but there appears to be a contribution. This has been addressed before so please try not to bring it up again.

Otherwise, your sentence makes you sound like you have a very closed mind.

Science is about having an open mind, examining the evidence as a whole and questioning what we're told. And I hope people will question the politicians and lay journalists and look for real unbiased scientific evidence before making up their minds. The propaganda machine can be powerful. The tobacco industry has spent billions of dollars trying to convince us that smoking is safe. The first studies linking smoking to lung cancer came out in the 1950s... that's right, the 1950s. But scientists were no match for the tobacco giants.

As a teacher, would you be okay with your students suggesting that alternate arguments in science are the product of politics, right wing conspiracies, or other philosophies they so happen to disagree with and vilify?

There is hardly an alternate argument in science though. It is generally accepted that humans contribute to climate. I would teach students to examine the evidence, which is what I'm trying to do here.

As a scientist, do you always automatically label views you disagree with in such terms?

Silly question. As a scientist, I look for evidence. Where's that negative review article you were going to show us?

Rather than letting your politics blind you, maybe you should try to make distinctions between the public service and their myriad of branches and departments, and the administration.

The reason I turn to the scientific literature is so I'm not affected by political bias.

But as to why people would confuse that action with scientists who have good data that shows other causation for climate change is a little beyond me.

You're not getting it. Humans contribute to climate change. They are not the sole cause.

So are you suggesting that no alternate scientific point of view to a human causation for climate change is worth considering? What about natural causes for climate change?

Please don't bring up natural causes again, it's been addressed several times. Climate researchers believe humans contribute in addition to natural factors. Issue addressed, end of issue, will not be brought up again.

But going back to the propaganda, most "average" people won't be examining the scientific literature either way.

Exactly. This is why it's important that the public knows that there is a scientific consensus so that they won't be swayed by smooth-talking politicians.

But it is also fair to say that an overwhelming number of media stories about climate change centre most specifically on human causation and bad outcomes. Worse yet, many of these pieces tend to emphasize imminent disaster. Some of this has been driven not only by politicians, but by scientists as well. But by and large, the media likes a good disaster story. All too often, floods, hurricanes, snow storms, glacier movements and heat wave are glaringly attributed to human-caused global warming - without any proof. Even if there was a human contribution, it would be impossible to separate the specific impact of that human effect from the much more prevalent and powerful natural processes.

These are all interesting points, but not what we're talking about. We're talking about avoiding the media and looking at the scientific literature.

As for the Cato Institute, other than your dislike for the organization (and presumably the man associated to it) does that automatically make his research unworthy? Is the measure of his work related to his politics?

It certainly decreases the value of the article. If Novartis (the makers of the medication Clozaril) publishes a study on Clozaril, it has much less value than a study published by a group that has no financial or ideological interest in the issue. It's a part of knowing how to evaluate evidence.

You've advertised your credentials fairly well (Ph.d, doctor, teacher). But do note that asserting knowledge of what the scientific community as a whole knows or believes - which you have done on this thread - would get lots of laughs from many other scientists (and bad marks, too).

Strange. I don't remember bringing up my credentials, which are not at all relevant to this issue. One can learn how to evaluate evidence without having any degrees and having degrees certainly doesn't guarantee that one knows how to evaluate evidence. I highly doubt that claiming that "climate researchers believe that humans likely contribute the climate change" would produce any laughs. If it does, I'll make sure I let you know.

The same people who are asserting a human effect on the climate system are leading the assessment. They play a crucial role in selecting the research that is used to support their point of view, and framing how that research is used in order to come to their conclusion. Should there be an outcry on this obvious conflict of interest? Maybe you don't think so. Regardless, the trouble is that few people recognize this conflict, or see nothing wrong with it, because the recommendations of the IPCC appear to fit their politics and their beliefs.

Is that type of science good enough for you? Don't worry; I already know your answer.

Nice try, but you're changing the subject again. You're suggesting now that there is a consensus but it's because there's a conflict of interest at the IPCC. It's a fair point but you're flip-flopping. So what is it? Is there a consensus or not?

As for the propaganda machines, and evil right-wing governments, the Unites States government is, in terms of funding, the largest contributor to climate research.

Yup, and if the Bush government can acknowledge (finally!) that humans affect climate, perhaps you should consider it too.

The Canadian government also a major source of funding for climate research, as well. So to with the British, Germans, French governments, and so on.

Yup, and they all acknowledge that humans contribute to climate (well, except maybe Harper, although he's also softened his stance after the last IPCC report). So you're pretty much flying solo here. Well, you're in the company of the Fraser Institute and the Cato Institute. I'm very interested in knowing why this is.

A lot of the rest of your posts bring up the usual issues of "have all their members voted" and "have you read all the articles". You know by now that this is not required for a consensus.

Any evidence to cite yet?

I showed it. Many, many, many times.

No you have not. You have stated a belief in a consensus. You have not shown it to be so across the whole scientific community. And try as you may, you are not going to show that.

Everyone knows this, and this is a concept you still are having difficulty with. Humans contribute to climate change. Meaning that natural phenomena are acknowledged but human activity appears to have an additional effect. It could be as little as a 1 or 2% contribution but there appears to be a contribution. This has been addressed before so please try not to bring it up again.

I'll bring up whatever I want. No one has ever been able to show what the supposed human effect on global climate is. There is a correlation between emissions of carbon dioxide and a slight increase in temperature, and computer model forecasts that project what the effects might be. There is, as of the present, no way to discern an alleged human signal from natural climate activity. That seems to be exceedingly difficult for you to understand.

Oh, and you brought up degree this time. Not me.

I'm a bit baffled by these paragraphs...

Only because you don't quite grasp the breadth and range of climate research. The very subject deals with constant change. You have made an assumption on the basis of your reading of a few review articles that assert a human effect on climate that you grasp the state of the science. In fact, the state of the science is ongoing. There has been an assertion that humans contribute to climate change; true. This hypothesis has been stated and measurements as to whether that hypothesis holds water or not are under way. That's pretty much where things are at.

Science is about having an open mind, examining the evidence as a whole and questioning what we're told. And I hope people will question the politicians and lay journalists and look for real unbiased scientific evidence before making up their minds. The propaganda machine can be powerful. The tobacco industry has spent billions of dollars trying to convince us that smoking is safe. The first studies linking smoking to lung cancer came out in the 1950s... that's right, the 1950s. But scientists were no match for the tobacco giants.

As I indicated earlier, the overwhelming "propaganda" as you call it is one that automatically assumes that a human effect on climate is not only a fact, but presently the primary driver of climate. There are plenty of scientists who study climate who are keeping an open mind and not asserting any published position with respect to human activity drives climate or not. The trouble is that if any scientists questions the belief of this supposed consensus, the lay press, environmentalists and politically active scientists are label those individuals as "deniers" or dupes of the oil industry. You have made some casual allusions to this yourself.

As to being open minded, I was speaking to you, not to science. Scientists can be quite capable of bias. You yourself seem to be well aware of the lay press and the conspiracy theories since you cite them so often.

There is hardly an alternate argument in science though. It is generally accepted that humans contribute to climate. I would teach students to examine the evidence, which is what I'm trying to do here.

There are a number of alternate hypothesis as to why there has been a slight change in temperature over the last 100 years. Many of them revolve around human emissions of C02. I have provided two papers earlier that show there is a significant potential bias with respect to where surface temperature measurements stations have been located over time. This has problem has been recognized for over 100 years.

You're not getting it. Humans contribute to climate change. They are not the sole cause.

You are not getting it. There is an assertion that humans contribute to climate. There are suggestions how this is being done. These things are under ongoing examination.

Please don't bring up natural causes again, it's been addressed several times. Climate researchers believe humans contribute in addition to natural factors. Issue addressed, end of issue, will not be brought up again.

I'll bring up natural causation as opposed to human causation when I see it necessary to do so. Climate is a natural phenomena that can be defined by change. Why do you presume to define what can or cannot be mentioned here?

Exactly. This is why it's important that the public knows that there is a scientific consensus so that they won't be swayed by smooth-talking politicians.

Your bias is showing through. Your open-mindedness is not.

Strange. I don't remember bringing up my credentials, which are not at all relevant to this issue.

Oh, don't be so coy. They have been mentioned on this board more than once. Your remark suggested that you teach. Do you?

Nice try, but you're changing the subject again. You're suggesting now that there is a consensus but it's because there's a conflict of interest at the IPCC. It's a fair point but you're flip-flopping. So what is it? Is there a consensus or not?

There's a consensus at the IPCC. But the IPCC is not whole scientific community, either.

Yup, and if the Bush government can acknowledge (finally!) that humans affect climate, perhaps you should consider it too.

That's politics.

Are you suggesting I do something on the basis of what Bush does? That's actually funny.

So you're pretty much flying solo here.

That's what you think.

You requested some proof, here are a few articles. Trust me, I didn't try too hard. Nevertheless, I'm sure you will find some fault, so why should I waste my time if you with your supposedly open mind won't bother to look and inform yourself.

First off, the theory of AGW induced climate change states that the warming signal will start, and be the strongest, at the poles. This has not been seen.

Graversen, R.G., et al., 2008. Vertical structure of recent Arctic warming. Nature, 541, 53-57.

The authors shows that there is a poor correspondence between the observed patterns of temperature change in the arctic and those predicted to occur by climate models over the high latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere.

Polyakov, I. V., et al. 2003. Variability and Trends of Air Temperature and Pressure in the Maritime Arctic, 1857-2000. Journal of Climate 16: 2067-77.

Analyzing data from land stations and ocean buoys, the authors found a strong warming trend between 1917 and 1937, and a slight cooling since 1937.

Przybylak, R. 2002. Changes in seasonal and annual high-frequency air temperature variability in the Arctic from 1951 to 1990. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1017-33.

The author shows that according to instrument observation, Arctic temperatures of the 1950’s were higher than those of the late1980’s. The highest recorded temperatures since the start of instrumental observations occurred during the 1930’s. The author notes that no tangible manifestation of the greenhouse effect could be identified.

Mackintosh, A., White, D., Fink, D., Gore, D., Pickard, J., and Fanning, P. 2007. Exposure ages from mountain dipsticks in Mac.Robertson Land, East Antarctica, indicate little change in ice sheet thickness since the Last Glacial Maximum. Geology 35 (6), 551-554

The East Antarctic Ice Sheet is stable and has been so since the end of the Last Glacial Maximum.

Doran P.T. et al. 2002. Antarctic climate cooling and terrestrial ecosystem response. Nature Advance 415: 517-20.

Spatial Analysis of Antarctica meteorological data demonstrate a net cooling on the Antarctic continent between 1966 and 2000.

The theory of anthropogenic climate change asserts that the ocean levels will rise due to a warming atmosphere and increase in polar ice loss. In 1990 the IPCC predicted that ocean warming caused by human activity would produce sea level rise between 30 and 100 centimetres by 2100. In 2001, the IPCC predicted an ocean rise between 9 and 88 centimetres over 100 years. In 2007, the IPCC’s most recent assessment went on to predict a sea level rise between 18 and 59 centimetres. In actual fact, sea level has been rising naturally for over 10,000 years for a variety of reasons since the end of the last glacial maximum. Measuring average global sea-level rise seems simple, but such a measurement is made very difficult largely due to vertical movements of the earth’s crust. During a glacial period, an enormous volume of ice pushes down on the crust. When the ice melts, the crust rebounds. This rebound is still in effect. Scientists have attempted to account for this effect using numerical “Glacial-Isostatic Adjustment” routines in when estimating of accurate sea-level rise. Changes in tectonic activity, ocean currents, wind and gravitational patterns complicate the measurement of true sea level considerably.

Wöppelmann, G., Martin, B., Miguez, M., Bouin, M. N., and Altamimi, Z. 2007. Geocentric sea-level trend estimates from GPS analyses at relevant tide gauges world-wide. Global and Planetary Change, 57, 396–406.

When the authors factored land motion into their the estimates of sea-level rise, they determined a global value of 1.31 plus or minus 0.30 mm per year compared to the 1.8 plus or minus 0.5 mm per year value provided by the IPCC for the recent half century, This is below the lowest end of the IPCC range of predictions.

Kolker, A.S. and Hameed, S. 2007. Meteorologically driven trends in sea level rise. Geophysical Research Letters 34: 10.

The authors show that determining the rate of global sea level rise is complicated by many natural local variables that must be taken into consideration when attempting to determine any accurate trend in sea level rise. They conclude that based on more accurate assessment of local variability, a sea level rise of less than one third of that stated by IPCC conclusions. The authors take no position with respect to anthropogenic causation.

Harrison, D.E., and M. Carson. 2007. Is the World Ocean Warming? Upper-Ocean Temperature Trends: 1950–2000. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 37, 174-187.

The authors make no statement about any global trend over the past 50 years – none is identifiable. There is not enough data to detect such a change in heat content. There is no clear or obvious trend.

Leuliette, E.W., Nerem, R.S. and Mitchum, G.T. 2004. Calibration of TOPEX/Poseidon and Jason altimeter data to construct a continuous record of mean sea level change. Marine Geodesy 27: 79-94.

Based on a review of ten years of satellite radar altimetry data the authors observe that the ongoing contribution of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets to sea-level is small. They point out that at the current sea-level-equivalent ice-loss rate of 0.05 millimeters per year, it would take a millennium to raise global sea level by five centimetres. At that rate it would take 20,000 years to raise sea levels by a single metre. In addition, They also report that the contribution of the ice sheets is small compared to the most recent estimate of current sea-level rise, which in their words, further confounds possible explanations of the causes of contemporary sea-level rise.

Morner, N. A., 2004. Estimating future sea-level changes from past records. Global and Planetary Change. 40: 49-54.

The author states that sea levels show no trend at all over three hundred years. Recent satellite telemetry shows virtually no unusual change in the most recent decade of measurements.

It is essentially impossible to discern a supposed human signal from the natural trends that have their own internal variability. These are just a small number of papers that deal with polar temperature measures or sea level rise.

There is an assumed understanding among those who argue that human emissions of C02 are the primary driver for climate change. In fact, the assumptions of the primacy and effect of C02 are overstated.

Ferguson P. R. and Veizer, J. 2007. Coupling of water and carbon fluxes via the terrestrial biosphere and its significance to the Earth's climate system. 112. D24S06, doi:10.1029/2007JD008431, 2007

In their paper, the authors show that the considerably larger global water cycle controls the much smaller carbon cycle, not vice versa. Geophysical studies have consistently shown that water vapour is the likely driver of both carbon dioxide and temperature. Any correlation between carbon dioxide and temperature can be viewed as an artifact of the “water cycle intermediary.”

There are many others like this, and on many other subjects related to climate. But frankly, I see no need to go on with this thread.

^Still no literature reviews.

I'm a bit baffled by these paragraphs but they give me the impression that you don't quite understand literature reviews. Fair enough, but at least be open to having them explained to you. In a literature review on climate change, addressing the causes of climate change might be only one small part of the article. Maybe a paragraph or two. Everything else in the article still has to be cited and requires references, even introductory statements that may give some historical context. Every statement has to have a reference. It's a part of the rigor of science. It's evidence-based. That's why in a review article on climate change, out of the 30 or 40 references, only a handful might address the human contribution. Let's say 5 or 6. If there are no studies that reject the hypothesis that humans affect climate, then that's still 5 or 6 studies vs. 0, meaning that it appears that humans affect climate. The author of the review would then conclude that research seems to indicate that humans affect climate. In a thorough review article, evidence for both sides is presented and weighed. So there may be 12 studies that support humans affecting climate and 2 studies that reject the idea. The consensus would still be that humans affect climate because most studies indicate that. And since all reviews on climate change agree that humans make some contribution, and none reject the idea, that's how I form my opinion.
Thanks for that ganj, that makes perfect sense.

No you have not. You have stated a belief in a consensus. You have not shown it to be so across the whole scientific community. And try as you may, you are not going to show that.

Well, this statement says it all. If you maintain this after the evidence I've provided, then we're clearly going nowhere. As I posted earlier, the evidence includes:

1. All recent climate change review articles concluding that human activity contributes.
2. IPCC statement.
3. National Scientific bodies of all industrialised countries agreeing that human activity affects climate.
4. Countless other organisations that agree with the consensus (nicely summarised on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change)

There is, as of the present, no way to discern an alleged human signal from natural climate activity.

With all due respect, why should I believe you over climate researchers?

There has been an assertion that humans contribute to climate change; true. This hypothesis has been stated and measurements as to whether that hypothesis holds water or not are under way. That's pretty much where things are at.

No, at present, there is a consensus that humans contribute to climate change. It's the details that are being worked out.

I'm glad you posted some articles. None of them seem to conclude that humans make no contribution or make a negligible contribution to climate. I've never made any claims with respect to the poles warming, or sea level changes. But that's what naysayers tend to do... they tiptoe around the issue to avoid the question head on, "do humans contribute to climate". I didn't see any literature reviews there either which are important summaries of the state of the science.

I agree that continuing this thread is useless. The points have been made and the evidence has been shown. The scientific literature indicates that climate researchers in general believe that humans contribute to climate change.

Well, this statement says it all. If you maintain this after the evidence I've provided, then we're clearly going nowhere. As I posted earlier, the evidence includes:

1. All recent climate change review articles concluding that human activity contributes.
2. IPCC statement.
3. National Scientific bodies of all industrialised countries agreeing that human activity affects climate.
4. Countless other organisations that agree with the consensus (nicely summarised on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change)

With all due respect, why should I believe you over climate researchers?

No, at present, there is a consensus that humans contribute to climate change. It's the details that are being worked out.

I'm glad you posted some articles. None of them seem to conclude that humans make no contribution or make a negligible contribution to climate. I've never made any claims with respect to the poles warming, or sea level changes. But that's what naysayers tend to do... they tiptoe around the issue to avoid the question head on, "do humans contribute to climate". I didn't see any literature reviews there either which are important summaries of the state of the science.

I agree that continuing this thread is useless. The points have been made and the evidence has been shown. The scientific literature indicates that climate researchers in general believe that humans contribute to climate change.

So if Wikipedia says it, it must be true?

Those researchers that take a position, take a position. Most don't. Scientific bodies have not surveyed their membership in any form. I know members of some of those organizations you note; they were never petitioned with respect to what position was to be taken on this issue. The cart has come before the horse. The conclusion has been drawn before the evidence has been collected - and the evidence collection is not going particularly well for the theory of anthropogenic causes for climate change. Too bad so many scientists have jumped the gun, forgoing actual empirical evidence in favour of IPCC conclusions drawn from questionable computer model forecasts. So be it.

If you note, I have posted recent articles in which no position is taken either way with respect to anthropogenic causes for warming. As a such, they cannot be viewed as asserting a point of view that supports a consensus position. In fact, they all contradict the assertions as to what the effects of anthropogenic warming should be. I now have 137 such articles dating back to 2003.

The research has been conducted by climate researchers. The papers I have deal with such subjects as drought, ocean oscillation, cloud cover changes, atmospheric water vapour, ocean temperature, atmospheric heat capacity, solar-atmospheric coupling, cosmic rays and climate and other topics directly related to climate change - articles that take no position on an alleged consensus and both question and contradict the hypothetical effects of AGW. No position means no contribution to a consensus - an agreement - regardless of what the particular contributor to wikipedia states.

Warming poles and sea level rise are central to the argument asserting an anthropogenic causation for climate change. These articles point to extremely serious challenges with respect to the alleged affects that human activity is supposed to be causing. That is the actual state of the science, not the politics of the science.

I agree that continuing this thread is useless.

I also agree.

It’s been stated again and again that you don’t gauge scientific thinking on a topic by taking surveys. You keep ignoring this fact.

The idea that no position means no contribution to a consensus seems to be the crux of your argument. Read the post I quoted above again, it’s quite informative and it thoroughly addresses that concern.

No need to. You kept on with the "studies where no position is taken" angle, and it seemed like you missed the post that refuted that argument. So I pointed it out. Just being helpful :)

The proof has been offered repeatedly. The literature reviews are unanimous...

So am I to understand that you have read every single literature review in the field of climatology with respect to climate change?

Here is a review article concerning climate change and drought:

Cook, E.R., Seager, R., Cane, M.A. and Stahle, D.W. 2007. North American drought: Reconstructions, causes, and consequences. Earth-Science Reviews 81: 93-134.

In a comprehensive review, the authors report on the occurrence of a number of unprecedented megadroughts over the past millennium. Past megadroughts dwarf all the famous droughts of the 20th century, such as the Dust Bowl drought of the 1930s, the southern Great Plains drought of the 1950s, and the current one in the West that began in 1999. These droughts of the past 100 years fade in comparison when compared to significantly elevated aridity that persisted for almost 400 years over the AD 900-1300 period. The authors take no position concerning human causation with respect to the effects of such climate change.

Similar climate variability has occurred on other continents as well. There are numerous studies that indicate variability in climate over the last millennium.

Vershuren, D., et al. 2000. Rainfall and drought in equatorial East Africa during the past 1100 years. Nature 403: 410-14.

Reconstructing an 1,100 year rainfall and drought history, the author shows that over the past millennium, equatorial east Africa has alternated between contrasting climate conditions, with a significantly drier climate than today occurring during the Medieval Warm Period (1000 – 1270), and a relatively wet climate during the Little Ice Age (1270 – 1850).

I know you hate hearing about it, but too bad: climate variability over time is not controlled by one effect, but by many effects that operate at all conceivable time scales from seconds to billions of years. Climate change is about change over time. There is no way one can neglect ongoing variability.

These effects that shape climate do not contribute to a constant or linear temperature over time since many of these effects are oscillating - with some being periodic and others being irregular over time. There is no sharp boundary between the "short term" and the "long term" when examining climate. The choice of such a boundary is a pure convention, and one must always be aware that there exist many faster as well as slower variables that influence climate to a greater or lesser degree all of the time. Presently, it is impossible to separate out the specific effect of one variable from all the others in order to ascertain with any accuracy the exact effect that this one variable has amid a range of other variables that are changing at different rates, and each with differing effects.

So am I to understand that you have read every single literature review in the field of climatology with respect to climate change?
Show me a literature review that comes to a different conclusion from all the others and I'll read it. I had a chance to look into those articles you mentioned. Interestingly, this is from the first one:

"Whether or not this process will lead to a greater prevalence of drought in the future as the world warms due to accumulating greenhouse gases is unclear at this time."

That sure doesn't strengthen your case.

I know you hate hearing about it, but too bad: climate variability over time is not controlled by one effect, but by many effects that operate at all conceivable time scales from seconds to billions of years. Climate change is about change over time. There is no way one can neglect ongoing variability.
Why would I hate hearing about it? This is what I've been saying all along. That has nothing to do with humans affecting the climate though, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

So can I assume that you do not understand the meaning of the word "unclear." They take no position.

Have you have read every single literature review in the field of climatology with respect to climate change?

If not, move on already.

Ah yes, insult my intelligence, always a classy debate tactic. :rolleyes:

The first article isn't about global warming specifically but it does accept the idea that greenhouse gases are warming the earth. The second is primary research.

Do you have a literature review that finds that humans aren't warming the earth? If not, move on already.

Mister F, here are the assertions that you have made a number of times on this thread:

The literature reviews are unanimous

Ultimately it comes down to every literature review

It is unfortunate that you feel your intelligence has been insulted because you did not grasp the meaning of the word "unclear."

At no point did I ever promise a literature review that expressly refuted or denied human causation. It was you who invoked a false dilemma to provide this. I have pointed out to you repeatedly that there are numerous research papers and literature reviews on the subject of climate change that take no position with respect to human causation.

Back