News   May 10, 2024
 560     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 664     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 862     0 

The City is fixing all the wrong roads

This is all last-minute stimulus money that has to be spent. In the case of Mount Pleasant, I was, well, pleasantly surprised to see the resurfacing south of the CPR, and, most crucially, the intersection with St. Clair. It had gotten so bad there that the old streetcar tracks had almost completely come up to the surface. I don't know if they actually excavated them out, or just resurfaced the road, but it's *much* better now.

And I agree, Bayview is a disaster. Now that Yonge has been rebuilt from Wilson to Eglinton (and the parallel stretch of Avenue Road has been rebuilt over the past few years as well), I suspect we'll start seeing work on Bayview, especially now that they've completed rebuilding the bridge at Lawrence.

Yeah, I noticed there was heavy work for bayview at eglinton (beside McDonalds) and the Lawrence bridge- those 2 are done now so I hope they repave the whole road top to bottom (steeles to somewhere past queen st?)

The section between 401 and york mills doesnt have that may utility cuts (thanks for explaining). The road is just really old and it has cracks in a million places

St Clair/ Mt Pleasant was bad as well. Why were the tracks removed? did they get rid of streetcar service there?

The Oakwood streetcar tracks, just south of Eglinton, were just paved over when the streetcar were removed from Eglinton and Oakwood. So they are still there, ready to make a reappearance as the asphalt deteriorates.

Another reason the city holds off on re-paving roads is when the street is re-scheduled for watermain replacement because they are located in the travelled portion of the road off of the curb line. I believe this is the case with Bayview.

As for utility cuts, utility companies pay large quantities of money on the permits but the problem is the City does not always re-invest this money into the permanent restoration. Turnover times are suppose to generally be within 60 days of completion of work. But unless there are complaints they usually have their contractors (Pave-Tar & Sunrise) go out around end of summer and clear up all the cuts from major projects (ie Enbridge rehab on Queen W by Link Line this summer).

Another issue is, Toronto unlike other cities like Ottawa does not allow utility contractors to do permanent restoration which makes no sense. That way we would have no roads with sinkage and pot holes from temp patches and the City would have more money towards road paving jobs since they would keep all permit money. But when does the City ever do the proper sensible thing.

Tza, I think the reason why utility cuts are not fixed as soon as you think they should be is that it is better that the earth settles properly before the final repairs are made and cuts made in, say, 2009, are not usually fixed (by a City contractor, as you say) until 2010. In fact, if the City has already planned major road repairs then any cuts on that stretch are left to wait for this to happen. It is cheaper, and far less disruptive, to permanently fix all the utility cuts in an area at the same time. The cost of a utility cut permit is set to cover the cost of the permanent repair - though I do not know if it does.

If that is the case, the city needs to enforce better utility cut patch standards. Most patches are terrible and can be small sink holes 10 deep after settling.

*10cm

Tza, I think the reason why utility cuts are not fixed as soon as you think they should be is that it is better that the earth settles properly before the final repairs are made and cuts made in

The cuts are meant to be made as soon as possible as the contractors under the city specs just uses an HL3 asphalt compacted down with a jumping jack for the temp patch. There is no settling that needs to be done. That is the reason they become pot holes from cracking and sinkage because they are only good for a short period of time after repeated traffic volume.

Like any major city, backlog and money are always the reason it does not get completed in a timely fashion.

No disrespect but....

....is it not true that no matter what roads were fixed/prioritized, someone(s) would think that they are fixing all of the wrong roads?

The big Finch sinkhole east of Dufferin was fixed back in late October, so about 5-6 weeks ago.

My wife reports that Bayview north of Eg is being worked on heavily. Also, any ideas why St. Clair west of Yonge is all torn up again? They completely redid the whole street two years ago for the streetcar RoW. I was really surprised to see it a giant mess again.

They are repaving it because when they put in the Row they did not repave it then and the road surface was in bad shape.

Are these utility cuts the same thing that was done on Queen St East between about javis Street to Church Street? They tore up the northernmost lane of Queen about a week or 2 ago and have since paved the lane back over. Only the paving job they did was aboslutely TERRIBLE! It's so bad that cars simply avoid the lane.. If it doesn't have anything to do with utilities, does anyone know what that was all about? How do I register a complaint about it with the City?

Back