News   Jul 22, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 554     0 

The Best Toronto Transit Map Ever?

LOL! She lives in the middle of the cloverleaf ramp?

No Tim Horton's anywhere near that interchange, BTW.

Well, what did you expect in the land of Cronenberg
crasha.jpg

I'd make a joke about your head exploding after scanning Anna, but that'd be rude.

LOL! She lives in the middle of the cloverleaf ramp?

No Tim Horton's anywhere near that interchange, BTW.

i think there's a timmys on wilson nearby.

there's tons of these markers on google earth in toronto. they were some of the first markers for our city. the oldest markers for the oldest profession.

davidpritchard.org/maps/tortransit.html

Another Toronto transit map overlaid on Google Maps. This one shows TTC subway and GO train lines.

If I'm not mistaken, the David Pritchard who created this map was the award-winning computer geek who went to high school at Woburn CI at the same time that I was there.

EDIT: after reading the bio on his blog, I guess I am mistaken.

wicked map. does he have it in KMZ form for google earth?

Globe

Link to article

Easy rider

DEIRDRE KELLY

When Ian Stevens considers the Toronto Transit Commission, he doesn't think "the Better Way." He thinks My Way. And so he should.

The local software developer has just created an interactive TTC map to end all TTC maps -- on his laptop. Combining a TTC route map with Google Maps, his hybrid (crazedmonkey.com/toronto-transit-map) allows users to enter two addresses and quickly find the most efficient route between them. Unlike any other Greater Toronto Area transit map, it also adds station and route information for GO Transit, VIVA, Brampton Transit, Mississauga Transit and Vaughan Transit.

Mr. Stevens, 31, wonders why it took a transit enthusiast and not a transit employee to come up with such a useful tool.

"I'm particularly struck with . . . disappointment in the TTC for not coming up with something similar much sooner," he wrote this week on his blog. "It's sad that it took one guy with a finished product on his laptop to produce something of greater use than the TTC can currently provide with its reams of internal route data."

Even in TTC commissioner Adam Giambrone's opinion, it is heaps better than what the commission offers on its own antediluvian website, created when the 29-year-old Mr. Giambrone was just finishing high school.

Now that the TTC is itself looking to revamp its website partly in response to rider initiative like his, Mr. Giambrone -- who thinks the map is "cool" -- said this week that for Mr. Stevens to be part of the website redesign, he can put in a tender like everyone else: "He's free to submit a bid."

Not that Mr. Stevens is asking, mind you. He's happy just being a transit rider, now that he's one of the most knowledgeable around.

Back